• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Combatants Will Be Dispatched! Anime's 1st Promo Reveals Cast, Staff, Funimation Streaming in

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time before this got an anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
This was first announced back in March, so that it was coming eventually has been known for a while.

I reviewed the first novel back in 2019, and at the time I said that it would adapt well into anime form. It should be crazy, sexy, flippant fun somewhat in the spirit of Konosuba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
el_morris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 am Reply with quote
Is it good? Kemono Michi it's by the author of Konosuba too, and it sucked.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:

Better than kemono michi, but it's definitely weird. If konosuba is an isekai parody, I like to consider this an "isekai parody" parody. I just made that term up, but just calling it a parody of isekai isnt enough for how ridiculous it is. It starts with spoiler[not even technically being an isekai, it's technically just scifi. But it's still totally isekai as well. A parody of the very idea of isekai instead of just being an isekai but with tongue and cheek humor.]
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:

Kemono michi was great though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
well, thw mc is super abusive towards the female characters, he makes kazuma look like a gentleman. but i got more laughs of this than i got from kemono. there are some plot devices set up to make gim act like an ass.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
well, thw mc is super abusive towards the female characters, he makes kazuma look like a gentleman. but i got more laughs of this than i got from kemono. there are some plot devices set up to make gim act like an ass.

While his behavior is somewhat Kazuma-like, "super-abusive towards the female characters" is not accurate (unless he behaves way worse after the first volume).

Like with Konosuba, all of the core cast members have major issues; the MC is a meathead whose ideas about being evil (which he's supposed to do as part of his job) mostly involve petty annoyances, another is an android with an attitude, the female knight is perpetually in debt because she can't stop impulse-buying for her sword collection, and so forth. It's a wholly different mix from Konosuba, but can be fun nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
he pulls down female knights underwear in front of a lot of people, with the necromancer , he does the pull up the akirt and tie it that was considered hardcore bullying in ikkitousen. i am trying to remember if he beats up one of the females, tho i think he does not so that would still make him tamer than a shoujo lead male
LucyFan998

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Since both Combatants Will Be Dispatched and Edens Zero (also by J.C Staff) is premiering on April and Funimation gained the license only for Combatants Will Be Dispatched, I have an odd feeling that Edens Zero will be licensed by Sentai Filmworks, Aniplex of America, Viz Media, Crunchyroll, or Netflix. Who knows?
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
Even Funimation co-produce it, but is it mean that an English dub is also being Guaranteed ? Since March last year when Funimation delaying their dub, Funimation never include a confirmation of an english dub if the new anime was being licensed to them like " X anime will be avalaible to Funimation Sub and Dub.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:

It's more of the same really. It's only for those who devoured everything Konosuba had to offer and liked Kemono Michi.

It's the same old "hopeless people in another world" gag. So, pass.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I'm loving this! The oppai is on point. I'm going to wait for the BD. TV quality is a no for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1