• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Redo of Healer Novels Get Spinoff Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brook09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Lmao are you serious. Very Happy

That sounds hella interesting, and would be more hilarious and engaging.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Sounds better than the man series...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Truly, you haven't made it as a Rise Up Against The World-type WN-turned-LN-turned-etc. until you get an SOL cooking spinoff.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The media mix for this title is expanding even more than I thought. Nice. Surprised
This sounds like a cute spinoff.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
10/10 would read and sounds more interesting.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Lol, sounds like a fanfic. Like one of those fics that's nearly or more interesting than the source Laughing
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, the tone might sound a bit contradicting considering the main series, but this author, aside from being very productive(about a dozen novel series to date), runs the entire gamut from light-hearted to dark comedy. AND the guy can write. WITH gusto. Two of Rui's properties already have an English license, The World's Finest Assassin (novel, manga) and Dungeon Builder: The Demon King's Labyrinth is a Modern City! (manga)

None of his more light-hearted novels have been licensed yet though (like The Old Man Who Got a Second Round in Another World, Slime Tensei. Daikenja ga Youjo Elf ni Dakishimeraretemasu)

If the production values are good, then of all the shows coming out this season Redo of Healer together with Mushoku Tensei are the ones I'm most looking forward to enjoying.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
wait wait wait - hold up... He also wrote Dungeon Builder?

Then why the hell did people want to see Redo of healer get an anime over that! It's not the greatest manga but it's far less polarizing compared to... ah I see I answered my own question.

Honestly I'm shaken to my core that this author also wrote those but if anything it just proves he can write... er better stuff?

I'm hoping Redo of healer gets its 15 minutes of attention then dies and everyone just agrees never to speak of it again.

Oh also this manga spinoff sounds... alright, I might take a peak at it but if familiarity with the source material might be required to really enjoy it I doubt it'll be for me since I dropped the main series around the time hespoiler[ 'punished' the swordswoman. I think she died?]
topgun97

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this sounds kind of interesting. But this spin-off will be weird to read if you've read the original WN or LN. The characters in that are all twisted to say the least. If the other heroes appear in this spin-off genuinely nice and have a peaceful vibe, that's going to be trippy. I've at Volume 3 of the WN so I know how the characters are like.

In all honesty however, I hope this series gets more attention and retains some of it after the anime ends. The author also wrote other works as the people above me mentioned, so he/she can write. It's just that Redo is such as polarizing and a complete 180 of the author's usual work. I hope the LN at least gets fan-translated. The WN only goes up to volume 8 and there hans't been an update in some time, so I think the author just moved onto solely working on the LN.

As for the actual story, it's um... yeah. It is what it is. I just want to read the LN because for one thing it's probably better and more consistent than the WN, and well I just want to read it for the sake of reading it. What's funny is that the LN is what made me want to study and do translation work. I started this series back in 2018 and in that time only the WN was being translated. I had a post made in Novel Updates basically asking if anyone would pick up the LN to translate it. No one did. So at that point I decided that I'll learn Japanese and hopefully not only translate this LN, if it still hasn't been translated, but also pick up, read and translate whatever I want. If you learn Japanese, your selection of material is wide open. You have a lot more content that you can dive into.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Well, the tone might sound a bit contradicting considering the main series, but this author, aside from being very productive(about a dozen novel series to date), runs the entire gamut from light-hearted to dark comedy. AND the guy can write. WITH gusto. Two of Rui's properties already have an English license, The World's Finest Assassin (novel, manga) and Dungeon Builder: The Demon King's Labyrinth is a Modern City! (manga)

None of his more light-hearted novels have been licensed yet though (like The Old Man Who Got a Second Round in Another World, Slime Tensei. Daikenja ga Youjo Elf ni Dakishimeraretemasu)

Yeah, this is true. When I looked up the author, I was blown away by not only how much they write, but also how many different publishers they write for. They seem to have published at least one story under many of the major light novel labels. It's actually quite impressive, and I really wonder how they have the time to write so many different ongoing stories.

Though it really is interesting that out of everything this author's written, Redo of Healer was the title that ended up standing out and being their first series adapted into an anime, lol. Thanks, Sneaker Bunko. Razz

Blanchimont wrote:
If the production values are good, then of all the shows coming out this season Redo of Healer together with Mushoku Tensei are the ones I'm most looking forward to enjoying.

TNK is definitely a smaller company compared to other animation studios these days, so their quality isn't always the best, but I believe their work tends to turn out looking decent.
Junji Goto is fairly thorough about animation corrections for home video too, so I expect the final product won't look bad, even if some parts end up looking a bit sloppy on the TV airing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The premise seems fun.
hexashadow13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
LMAO. This is hilarious.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a better read, but it is entering a niche filled by a lot of other manga - I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least 10 isekai where the hero starts a cafe or potion shop. Part of the reason anyone is even discussing this series is that rapist hero is a niche most mangaka/LN writers had too much self-respect and taste to go near.

If it turns out this entire series was a a long con for muscling into oversaturated niches, through lighter spin offs exploiting the buzz/outrage around the content of the main series for momentum, I would almost respect that.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Lmao, talk about covering your ass.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Redo of Healer is not that it's badly written, the problem is that feels... lazy.

Every character is such a despicable asshole that the only thing you wish for them is pain and dead and root for the MC because he is the only one who has an excuse for being an asshole.

The whole series it's a Roman Circus, now, this one series actually sounds interesting, just think on the setting, the guy plans a vengeance for only God knows how long and then... nothing.

All his hatred, all his planning, its still there but now it's useless, seeing the MC slowly coping with this and moving on in life would actually be an interesting read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2