• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Nominees for 5th Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has carried all three seasons of Golden Kamuy yet it makes none of their categories? This season was perhaps the best of the bunch even though Sugimoto and Asirpa were separated.

Golden Kamuy seems to have been ignored at other places like anitrendz as well. Why is that?

At least my friends over at AnimeSuki have the good sense to nominate it for a number of that site's awards.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
If Eizouken wins most of the nominations, will people stop claiming these awards are a joke?

Most people's complaints about the Crunchyroll Awards is the nomination and voting process. So long as the list is determined by a small clique of judges rather than the general fandom, I imagine there will always be complaints.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad Great Pretender and BeastStars got some love here. Eizouken also got a presence here. They didn't even pick the best Jujutsu Kaisen fight though.
Pettanthropology

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I loved Appare, I wouldn't exactly call it Anime of the Year material. If Jujutsu Kaisen's first half was nominated for Anime of the Year, Re:Zero's first half also should have had a nomination in that category instead of Appare.

My only other complaint is that there's way too many Crunchyroll originals in here for no good reason other than the fact that, yes, it's the Crunchyroll Awards. Aside Tonikawa and the much better Noblesse, both of the other webtoon adaptations should have had no place getting awards among the many other great anime this year. I will say, however, Penkins and Mappa did a phenomenal job with the score and animation for their respective animes. Those alone deserve nominations. Nothing else.

Last edited by Pettanthropology on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Zeino wrote:
If Eizouken wins most of the nominations, will people stop claiming these awards are a joke?

Most people's complaints about the Crunchyroll Awards is the nomination and voting process. So long as the list is determined by a small clique of judges rather than the general fandom, I imagine there will always be complaints.

The judges were nominated by the general public so... That aside, when it comes to lists like this, it feels like there will be complaints no matter what happens

^ Yeah Nanami and Yuji vs Nanami was better
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
You know what this awards ceremony needs? Write-in candidates.

I agree completely. If I can't vote for Uzaki-chan, which isn't even nominated in the "comedy" category, I'm not voting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Madster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
For AOTY, I'm rooting for either Eizouken or BEASTARS. Both really define 2020 in terms of anime. However, considering what we're working with, AOTY is probably gonna go to Jujutsu Kaisen.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
So long as the list is determined by a small clique of judges rather than the general fandom, I imagine there will always be complaints.

There are over 50 judges this year.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/12/15-1/anime-awards-2021-meet-the-judges-categories-revealed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
The judges were nominated by the general public

But they are ultimately chosen by Crunchyroll in the end.

Early years for The Anime Awards had the fan votes weigh 90% of the total, while judges could only nominate titles and weighed 10% of the vote. These days it's been changed so the judges pick the nominees and their votes weigh 70% of the total count, while fans only have a 30% say. I mean, let's be honest, Eizouken is not a popular mainstream show to warrant this many nominations, especially above other titles that came out in 2020. But it is the kind of show that appeals to critics so it's no surprise it's so prevalent in the nominees. These awards are basically critic's picks, so if people are upset a show wasn't nominated for a specific category, it's not the fanbase's fault. We ultimately have no power in these things.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Nana got shafted for Best Girl, these awards are shit.

AOTY: Jujutsu Kaisen
Best Girl: Kaguya
Best Boy: Khun
Best Protag: Yuuji
Best Antagonist: Sukuna
Best Animation: Jujutsu Kaisen
Best Fight Scene: Bercouli vs. Vector
Best Score: God of High School
Best Director: Mamoru Hatakeyama
Best Character Design: Tower of God
Best Couple: Kaguya x Shirogane
Best VA (JP): Yuuichi Nakamura (Suwabe's better in JK though)
Best OP: DADDY! DADDY! DO!
Best ED: LOST IN PARADISE
Best Fantasy: Tower of God
Best Comedy: Kaguya
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

Early years for The Anime Awards had the fan votes weigh 90% of the total, while judges could only nominate titles and weighed 10% of the vote. These days it's been changed so the judges pick the nominees and their votes weigh 70% of the total count, while fans only have a 30% say. I mean, let's be honest, Eizouken is not a popular mainstream show to warrant this many nominations, especially above other titles that came out in 2020. But it is the kind of show that appeals to critics so it's no surprise it's so prevalent in the nominees. These awards are basically critic's picks, so if people are upset a show wasn't nominated for a specific category, it's not the fanbase's fault. We ultimately have no power in these things.

The first year of the Crunchyroll Awards, the one where the public vote was the main deciding factor, Yuri on Ice won every category it was nominated in (including AOTY), and all the angry dudebros complained about how it was ridiculous and unfair and that the fujos had hijacked the vote and whatever. That was the whole reason the format was changed to give judges' scores more importance. Year two had a 50/50 balance of public vote vs judges votes and MHA swept most categories, once again people complained that it just won because it was mainstream and popular. And now people complain that "it's just a small group of judges picking so it doesn't reflect the feelings of the community" is the complaint. People will never be satisfied no matter what gets chosen or how it gets chosen.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Rentwo wrote:

The first year of the Crunchyroll Awards, the one where the public vote was the main deciding factor, Yuri on Ice won every category it was nominated in (including AOTY), and all the angry dudebros complained about how it was ridiculous and unfair and that the fujos had hijacked the vote and whatever. That was the whole reason the format was changed to give judges' scores more importance. Year two had a 50/50 balance of public vote vs judges votes and MHA swept most categories, once again people complained that it just won because it was mainstream and popular. And now people complain that "it's just a small group of judges picking so it doesn't reflect the feelings of the community" is the complaint. People will never be satisfied no matter what gets chosen or how it gets chosen.

Turns out that the people mad about it never really care about the critieria because they're always angry unless their exact interests are somehow proven to be "the most popular" because they've spent a lot of time convincing themselves they magically are. I would suggest they learn to stop needing such validation rather than get mad about these awards, but I think we all know that won't be happening anytime soon.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Zeino wrote:

There's over 50 judges from a wide swath of writers, cosplayers, youtubers, and podcasters. I was a judge and I didn't know most of them, had literally never heard of over half of them. "Clique" is not the right word.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think it's undeniable that there are some odd decisions in the process of what deciding what gets nominated.

Like, I haven't seen a single episode of Oregairu in my life, but I find it hard to believe that nothing in the third and final season of such a popular franchise warranted a *single* nomination. To say nothing of Appare-ranman's single nomination that felt more like an obligation pick then anything, two fights from God of High School being in Best Fight, the absolutely baffling Maria x Catarina nominee just for the bare minimum wlw rep in Best Couple when there were so many other better options (Adachi x Shimamura???)

I'm also suspicious about why JJK was nominated as a Best of Year alongside a bunch of other much less popular shows that have zero chance of winning, aside from maybe Eizouken, but I'm not gonna be throwing around any accusations with no real basis

Despite my complaints, overall I do think the selection here is okay, but I think last year was probably a little bit better. Maybe. I don't even remember last year lmao (actually never mind, Slave Tanuki won Best Girl last year, into the dumpster it goes)

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Yuri on Ice was the best selling anime of the year it came out and was popular with tons of people both in and outside of Japan and both men and women. I'm sure there were a few "dudebros" who dislike it, but I doubt the amount of people complaining was anything noteworthy since the show was legitimately popular and all over the place to the point even mainstream American shows like South Park referenced it. Same thing with complaints about My Hero Academia sweeping the awards time and time again; that show has been the biggest series in America for the past however many years and most people want it to win. If your point is that there's always going to be complaints, then sure, you can't please everyone, but I would definitely make a distinction between fringe complainers and mainstream fandom complaints. Although overall I would suggest people not to take internet award shows too seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4