• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Nominees for 5th Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Shitty list. Sasuga Shittyroll. No Ishigami for the best boy?

NGL though, the moment they snubbed Sangatsu S2, they lost all the credentials.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Overreaction much here? This is not the only awards you know.
Madster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
What are the chances Sony drops the Anime Awards when Crunchyroll officially joins them?
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
Another year of The Anime Awards being a joke, I see.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Crunchyroll has carried all three seasons of Golden Kamuy yet it makes none of their categories? This season was perhaps the best of the bunch even though Sugimoto and Asirpa were separated.

Golden Kamuy seems to have been ignored at other places like anitrendz as well. Why is that?

At least my friends over at AnimeSuk have the good sense to nominate it for a number of that site's awards.

Speaking as a fan of Golden Kamuy, it's subject matter probably isn't very interesting to most non-Japanese viewers. It's just one of those shows people tend to sleep on outside of its home country.

I'm surprised Boku no Hero Academia only got 3 nominations this time around, and none of them in major categories like anime of the year. Although if it really is the critic's choice this time around then I suppose that's why. Although it appears not even the critics really care about Golden Kamuy all that much it would seem.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Again, the same 5-6 shows for most every category, and this year those are shows I haven't seen or care about in the least. Only care about Ascendance of a Bookworm and ToG so any voting I may do will be for those...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Another year of The Anime Awards being a joke, I see.

Another year of a fan trying to claim they're joke without having tried to see most of the nominated Anime to see why.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Another year of a fan trying to claim they're joke without having tried to see most of the nominated Anime to see why.

I've watched 25 of the nominated series and a little over 60 series total last year. Doesn't change the fact that these awards are a joke every year.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
While Eizouken, Great Pretender, and Beaststars weren’t necessarily favorites of mine from 2020 they were all good anime that I would be fine with winning AOTY

Now I will be upset if Catarina from My Life as a Villainess doesn’t at least win best girl
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Deca-dence should be where Appare is. Also, it should replace Pretenders in the best animation category. Nothing in Pretenders compares to Deca-dence, where animation is concerned.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
...Like, I haven't seen a single episode of Oregairu in my life, but I find it hard to believe that nothing in the third and final season of such a popular franchise warranted a *single* nomination. To say nothing of Appare-ranman's single nomination that felt more like an obligation pick then anything, two fights from God of High School being in Best Fight, the absolutely baffling Maria x Catarina nominee just for the bare minimum wlw rep in Best Couple when there were so many other better options (Adachi x Shimamura???)...
There has been a pattern emerging the last few years (most visible this year and last) that 3-5 shows appear in most categories but in each category there are 1-2 shows that aren't among those and only appear in 1-2 categories. For instance, 6/34 shows are in 25-50% of all categories but there are 24/34 that only appear in 1-2 categories each. It seems to me that the judges decide for four shows to get almost everything and leave most of the other shows to maybe get the one win in the one category they appear in which I think you are right in calling "obligation picks". While I understand that very good shows are likely to be good in many categories, I also find it hard to believe that the "favs" are so much better than the bunch of other shows who were also good. Can't shake the feeling that there is a deliberate plan to "guide" votes to the "favs" and then say the results prove the selection...
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
...Like, I haven't seen a single episode of Oregairu in my life, but I find it hard to believe that nothing in the third and final season of such a popular franchise warranted a *single* nomination. To say nothing of Appare-ranman's single nomination that felt more like an obligation pick then anything, two fights from God of High School being in Best Fight, the absolutely baffling Maria x Catarina nominee just for the bare minimum wlw rep in Best Couple when there were so many other better options (Adachi x Shimamura???)...
There has been a pattern emerging the last few years (most visible this year and last) that 3-5 shows appear in most categories but in each category there are 1-2 shows that aren't among those and only appear in 1-2 categories. For instance, 6/34 shows are in 25-50% of all categories but there are 24/34 that only appear in 1-2 categories each. It seems to me that the judges decide for four shows to get almost everything and leave most of the other shows to maybe get the one win in the one category they appear in which I think you are right in calling "obligation picks". While I understand that very good shows are likely to be good in many categories, I also find it hard to believe that the "favs" are so much better than the bunch of other shows who were also good. Can't shake the feeling that there is a deliberate plan to "guide" votes to the "favs" and then say the results prove the selection...

People liking different things than you is not a conspiracy. I’m not a fan of the webtoon adaptations but I don’t have to do weird ass mental gymnastics that it’s some sort of vile plot. For as much as people love to be adamant that anime ain’t kids stuff these kind of events always showcase how childish people still are about it.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

People liking different things than you is not a conspiracy. I’m not a fan of the webtoon adaptations but I don’t have to do weird ass mental gymnastics that it’s some sort of vile plot. For as much as people love to be adamant that anime ain’t kids stuff these kind of events always showcase how childish people still are about it.

Yeah, I can't say much about how the judging process works but it's not even remotely how you described it. There's no collusion, no conspiracy.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

You're overthinking it way too much. The judges just pick the stuff they want to win. Pretty straightforward. Obviously each judge has their own preference, but most are pretty open about it so you know what to expect if you've ever seen their content. Like Ajay who said he pushed hard for Dragon Quest to make the nomination because it's his personal favorite and he just wants to see it get recognition on a bigger scale even if it doesn't win. I don't know if that counts as a "conspiracy" or not, but that's pretty much how every award shows work. Obviously that tends to lead to disconnects between the general fandom and the award shows, but if people want a democratic option where all voices are heard that's what rankings and polls are for.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Only one nomination for Akudama? Guess I'll vote for Bbeastars
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4