• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cells at Work! Code Black

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for reactions to this arc, I almost died laughing when I read the manga. It only gets better (worse) from here, folks Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I had my bets placed on those sperm landing baby-face first in some crusty, crumpled tissues.

I was thinking they'd splat into the "invisible wall" of a condom. I was also wondering if they'd face the fact that there was only one ovum and millions of sperm. That could've been interesting if they had shown that even the "loser" sperm were necessary to contribute to the chosen one's success.

I would love to see an anime version of the credits scene from Look Who’s Talking (https://youtu.be/65BV5dXXxzM)!
Another interesting angle would be if they showed the release of endorphins, maybe by making the cells happy, but they all treat it like a job with no benefit to themselves.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Regardless, one thing I thought was interesting is that they start a Polynesian dance sequence during the Killer T cells' narrative introduction. It resembles dances I've seen by Maori people but I'm not confident enough to say that that's what it is exactly.

I don't know either, but I took that as a nod to sumo wrestlers' entrance ceremony. They use that same wide-stance foot stomping thing (shiko), but the arm gestures are different.

Also, I think your autocorrect ran amok like the autoimmune system and changed cytokines to cryotines. Smile
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:31 am Reply with quote
I’ve been looking forward to the alopecia areata episode.

Alopecia areata (spot baldness) is a frustrating condition to have. I liked how they had shown the steroid treatment too. Sadly, the steroid treatment ( I had injections) didn't really work for me as I'm still losing hair Sad
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
People drowning in rivers of pee is an image that will hunt me for the rest of my life...
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Regardless, one thing I thought was interesting is that they start a Polynesian dance sequence during the Killer T cells' narrative introduction. It resembles dances I've seen by Maori people but I'm not confident enough to say that that's what it is exactly.

I don't know either, but I took that as a nod to sumo wrestlers' entrance ceremony. They use that same wide-stance foot stomping thing (shiko), but the arm gestures are different.
Looks more like the haka, especially the beginning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka

Quote:
I don't know how much truth there is to this as someone who has had a kidney infection before and definitely felt it screaming at me. However, a quick Google search tells me that typically chronic kidney failure can happen without much notice until it's medically advanced.
The 'silence' part pertains more to functionality, as pointed out by your Google search. Rarely do patients present symptoms despite significant decline in GFR. By the time they do have symptoms, it would be too late. That's why we include serum creatinine tests and/or urine creatinine clearance tests in routine exams to evaluate the kidneys. Good thing we were built with two, right?

Quote:
The host seeks out medical help and undergoes surgery to have the stone zapped with a device that is inserted through the urethra and emits lasers. If you're holding your groin again at the thought, I'm with you.
You should see how urologists perform a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate). LOL.

That must have been one very, verrrrryyy, dirty scope. LOL.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just what the heck was the body's owner doing? I can imagine scenarios that would have you sitting in place for 48 hours without sleep. And I can think of others where you smoke and drink. But I can't think of any that allows for ALL of that to happen simultaneously.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The calf muscles being the body's second heart was really interesting.
The one problem I had with this episode was that we see the Red Blood Cells coming back from delivering oxigen to the calf and acording to my high school-level biology knowledge they should be deoxinated at this point so I assumed they were going to the lungs to get oxigen, it's even stated that they are going through a vein and later through the pulmonary artery (places were deoxinated blood goes through), but we see them carrying the oxigen boxes and tubes as if they were still oxigenated and the whole plot involved getting the oxigen to the alveolae. Having then realized they weren't going to the lung to get oxigen but insted they were going to deliver oxigen to the lung cells I still question why aren't they going through an artery or the pulmonary vein. Or is oxigen delivered to the lung cells this way?
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Just what the heck was the body's owner doing? I can imagine scenarios that would have you sitting in place for 48 hours without sleep. And I can think of others where you smoke and drink. But I can't think of any that allows for ALL of that to happen simultaneously.

Two scenarios I can think of
1. He's on some sort of break, i.e. Golden Week and he's just lying there doing nothing but smoke and drink for the day
2. He's some sort of driver
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Two scenarios I can think of
1. He's on some sort of break, i.e. Golden Week and he's just lying there doing nothing but smoke and drink for the day
2. He's some sort of driver

1.Vacation was my first thought as well, but remaining completely still for 48 hours... is pretty unusual. Did he get a MMO addiction? And I assume he must have been going to the bathroom and procure alcohol.
2.That's very worrying!
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
Having then realized they weren't going to the lung to get oxigen but insted they were going to deliver oxigen to the lung cells I still question why aren't they going through an artery or the pulmonary vein. Or is oxigen delivered to the lung cells this way?

The vasculature supplying the lungs are functionally divided into 2:
1. Pulmonary vessels carry deoxygenated blood (PA) to alveolar walls and drain oxygenated blood (PV) back to the heart. This constitutes the majority (not sure of the 99%).
2. Bronchial arteries, derived from the aorta, mainly supplies the bronchi and other lung tissue far from where actual gas exchanges occur. They act as a collateral circulation. They rarely, if at all, supply alveoli.

In the episode, an embolus lodges in a PA, the path to the alveolus and PV distal to it is blocked. In order to supply the affected alveoli, they use a bronchial artery. The problem is the bronchial arteries are small and will eventually fail to supply enough oxygenation. In other words, a PV can't supply to lung tissue whose PA is blocked and bronchial arteries are inadequate. I admit them having boxes before the embolus is confusing.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, as someone who didn't really like the original Cells at Work, I am seriously impressed with Black. The way this episode followed up on the best friend's death and forced Red to finally snap was powerful.

I also dig how well the whole "awful work environment" metaphor has been handled throughout this show. Our little cells work their asses off, but at the end of the day, the only way these conditions will improve is if the body itself shapes up and fixes its problems. Much like how workers under late-stage capitalism can only do so much to improve their shitty conditions unless the company they work for puts some real reforms in place. Just... damn good stuff.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also took a look at the corresponding manga chapters for the series and it looks like they've been rearranged for the anime. I wouldn't have guessed since all the preceding episodes have laid groundwork for what I expect is the finale next week.

I was going to save this until after the finale, but now that you noticed it, this show has done a very good job in adapting and transforming the source material. The finale of volume 2 (what will be the last two episodes of the anime) is a much better way to end the show. So they adapted volume 1's chapters, then volume 3's, then volume 2's. As you can see, this means a lot of things that changed with the character roster in volume 2 needed to be adjusted. For example, AC1677 still being alive and present during the episodes that came from volume 3. The whole plot of AC1677 getting addicted to caffeine was anime original, and the guys that pushed him to get addicted only appeared in the DVT episode to bully RBC around when he discovers the clot. And all of these changes have been pretty seamless.

Spoiler for the circumstances that begin volume 3, without directly spoiling the events at the end of volume 2: spoiler[The body starts taking much better care of itself, finally giving everyone a better work environment. In fact, the body is doing so good, that they are healthy enough to give a blood transfusion. So RBC, the RBC rookies that look up to him, and WBC end up in a different body that's even worse off than the body they came from. WBC also hasn't been seen since the transfusion, so RBC is searching for her while trying to prove himself to this body's cells (who all are styled a bit differently) and dealing with the situations in this body. This setting change also explains why the anime didn't show the body changing in response to the huge deal that is a pulmonary embolism: that was the last chapter in volume 3.]

Spoiler for the end of volume 3: spoiler[It also turns out that this second body has diabetes, which is the cliffhanger to the volume and explains the situations that are experienced in that volume. Based on quick searches, people with diabetes are at increased risk of the kind of hair loss shown in episode 5, kidney stones in episode 6, elevation of ROS in episode 7, and DVT in episode 8. It's also a different kind of work environment, where the functions of the body are partially to blame (which will probably be expanded on in volume 4; I haven't read that yet).][/i]
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Dr. Ed has now posted his reflections on the erectile dysfunction episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkGk0BuvROs

Next week's title with the word "demise" in it sounds pretty horrible and conclusive.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the ending being good this body couldn't be this much better because the fundamental issue was stress from his stupid job unless he quit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3