• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I skimmed over pretty much all the comments about this week's episode since I don't care one iota about who Mom is unless she appears in the anime.

She has appeared in the anime, though - quite prominently so in episode 1, in fact. That's why her absence here is more noteworthy.

There is a different character whose introduction was skipped over but who will unavoidably be a big part of the story later on. Bringing that character up now (since the context for the character's introduction has passed) would definitely be spoilerish until the character is properly introduced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mencor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I skimmed over pretty much all the comments about this week's episode since I don't care one iota about who Mom is unless she appears in the anime.

She has appeared in the anime, though - quite prominently so in episode 1, in fact. That's why her absence here is more noteworthy.

There is a different character whose introduction was skipped over but who will unavoidably be a big part of the story later on. Bringing that character up now (since the context for the character's introduction has passed) would definitely be spoilerish until the character is properly introduced.

To early to say it's cut. It could be that rather than jump to where this fight takes place they may have simply moved this fight to an earlier time. Thus the content in between the fights may yet be seen.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they skipped that fight as that's where I finally dropped the manga. It just felt repetitive to what had been done before.

The dragon design with the exposed ribs does feel like a bit much. It's believable that there could be creatures that can survive in lava, but I feel like once it has a giant hole in it's stomach exposing all it's internal organs, it's probably not going to want to dive back in.
Mencor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm glad they skipped that fight as that's where I finally dropped the manga. It just felt repetitive to what had been done before.

The dragon design with the exposed ribs does feel like a bit much. It's believable that there could be creatures that can survive in lava, but I feel like once it has a giant hole in it's stomach exposing all it's internal organs, it's probably not going to want to dive back in.

Agreed that it seems excessive, then again Kumoko lost half her body and managed to survive long enough to level up.
Liquid rock flowing against and in between the ribs most likely isn't the most pleasant of sensation, though heatwise its not a problem, the scales are not the reason for it's heat immunity. In fact the heat goes right through the scales and heat the meat to the point that it is inedible untill it has cooled down. The anime isn't very good at showing that, though.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's been some time since I read the web novel, so I might be misremembering but...

spoiler[I seem to recall that the reveal of who Kumoko apparently was in the real world was handled a little better, in my opinion. From her internal monologue we learn that she's a loner, obsessed with video games, hasn't got any real friends, maybe she was bullied... and then we see "Spooky" who is a loner, no friends, gets bullied. And immediately you think "Oh, of course, this is who Kumoko was!" Then later we learn, no, it seems she was Wakaba - who, far from being a spooky loner, is regarded by everyone as the class idol. Everyone sees her as an unapproachable beauty - it's just Kumoko herself who never realised this. I liked the disconnect of her thinking she's an ordinary girl, and everyone else seeing her as the class idol. Of course, it's a little harder to necessarily get the idea of "this girl is really beautiful" across in pictures compared to text... The anime, on the other hand, seems to be giving us heavy indication all along that she's Wakaba, so there's less chance we'd even think she's someone else.]

(Of course, later on, spoilers within spoilers! we learn that spoiler[no, that's not true, she wasn't Wakaba either... But that's for a later time.)]

[EDIT: I put the last point in separate spoiler tags because it is a Titan-league spoiler beyond the scope of what else you're talking about, and well beyond anything that this first anime series is going to get to. - Key]
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The anime never specifically said who Kumoko was but has had several direct correlations with flash backs and what Kumoko is talking about. As such it made it far more obvious then the source did until like volume 5.

I think rather then playing association games and long drawn out mysteries the anime has been focused on the direct story. All in an attempt to make the series more palatable, which it mostly has succeeded at. Large portions of technical skill work has been removed. Redundant fights that hinged on catching a new skill out of a list of 3 dozen lest you be completely surprised where reworked or cut to be straight up monster fights. And the contrast with the humans, their past lives and Kumoko now have direct references to each other instead of being books apart in relevance.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The anime never specifically said who Kumoko was but has had several direct correlations with flash backs and what Kumoko is talking about. As such it made it far more obvious then the source did until like volume 5.

I mean... the anime basically said that Kumoko is Wakaba... and then went on to introduce ANOTHER character who is NOT stated to be dead, who fits Kumoko's early description just as well and who also shares visual traits with Kumoko.
I assumed Wakaba was a red herring and this new kid was the actual Kumoko, but I guess comments in this thread and the reviewer with LN knowledge glossing over it confirm that it's rather the other way around.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode nine -my jaw dropped a bit - the anime went where I thought it wouldn't.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lets go! The story is moving. Yatta!

What did you think it wouldnt go to Nord?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Ep9- Holy Crap! I've been trying to not be spoiled with all the comments here but this episode dropped a load of hints and many line up. All that remains is to see what connections are true and which are false...Still, very interesting and I can hardly wait for next week...

@Yuvelir, I thought the writing was fairly direct in indicating that the "new kid" "Spooky" was actually the girl who appeared to Hugo and Wakaba was kumoko. When Filimos said Wakaba was dead, this Ep I think established that wasn't true or at least was true in the "Star Wars" sense...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
I could do without the game-ifying elements of this show, but otherwise it's been one of the better isekai in the past few years, in my opinion. Watching Spider-chan desperately battle to survive and level up has been a lot more engaging than watching isekai protagonist # 387 be intensely overpowered from the get-go. Not convinced this can compete with the world-building, character-writing, or plot-construction chops of something like, say, Re;Zero, but the isekai genre has very few titles that can do that. Pretty pleased with this title on the whole.

The plot reveals in this latest episode were interesting. spoiler[Seems like however this world was created, it pits humans against one another in kind of a large-scale teams based PvP, and specifically demon-lords versus hero et al? With Spider-chan seemingly kind of a wildcard third party, at least for now. The admin's comments that she was sort've orthogonal to this world, that it wasn't created specifically for her, were also a bit unexpected.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

spoiler[white]

The pace and the anime's handling of the timeline went plaid(Spaceballs) the spoiler[timelines converged] and yet the by the preview we'll go back.
kooky.
Mencor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Cryten wrote:

spoiler[white]

The pace and the anime's handling of the timeline went plaid(Spaceballs) the spoiler[timelines converged] and yet the by the preview we'll go back.
kooky.

spoiler[ Second volume, Interlude:The Demon Lord's Aide Sighs at a Meeting.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know who this girl in the ED is?

I always assumed it was Wakaba, but various conversations suggest it's not. Then who is it?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Does anyone know who this girl in the ED is?

I always assumed it was Wakaba, but various conversations suggest it's not. Then who is it?

It's what Kumoko assumes is the "proper" way to be reborn in another world. Rather than a horrifying spider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 56