• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Over on AnimeSuki we've had a discussion about the sizes of the non-human characters. Someone who has read the novels said Kumoko is about the size of a "large dog." If that's the case, the snake must be larger than any known species. As an anime-only viewer, I was imagining the characters are about the same size as we observe in the natural world. Instead it seems like Kumuko is closer in size to the giant spiders I fight in Dragon Age.

Episode 2 gives us some good scaling evidence. Scenes with her and the egg show her being the same size as the egg or slightly larger. The egg was shown in another scene to be about the same size as an adult human male's head and torso. I'd say that would put her more in the size range of a medium-sized dog - a collie, maybe.

But yeah, she's a monster spider class (a lesser teratect, to be precise), so she's not that small.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
When I hear female lead and isekai its a must watch for me (Could use some yuri though) but definitely enjoying it sofar. Loving the slow build up and just hoping we get enough episodes to actually get somewhere in the story. Also probably an unpopular opinion but I honestly could care less about the human part of the show I just want more spider fun times.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Also probably an unpopular opinion but I honestly could care less about the human part of the show I just want more spider fun times.

Not unpopular at all, the manga adaptation removed 99.9% of the human part and is quite popular on its own.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
the human scenes are boring and don't interest me, the manga was better storie because it skipped those parts
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who finds the human stuff far more interesting. The fact that spidey takes everything in stride means that there's nothing functionally new in her scenes (action and rapid-fire commentary does nothing for me), whereas the people have to struggle to figure out how to deal with each other and their circumstances.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
What people don't understand is that without the human POVs, it just becomes a plain action fantasy survival story, without any apparent depth. The human POVs reveal the intricacy of the overall story, and it becomes more of a mystery which forces the viewer to piece things together on limited information. The human POVs are extremely important to the story's depth, so I'm glad the anime is not adapting the manga version.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
as a manga reader i am glad too, there are some manga only theories and seeing the human side makes them more fun. they are not theories but facts for novel readers, i think.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really mind the human part (except for the girl who kept going on about her 'God' and the one obsessed with her half-brother). I'm willing to see where the human side of the story goes.

I did laugh how none of the kids seemed to have cared about their teacher dying(?)

I've seen many complaints about the CGI too. As someone who was masochistic enough to watch the entirety of Gibiate, I wasn't too bothered about it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm another who finds the human parts much less fun, but I do take LegitPancake's point. I think that the pay-off for these scenes will come later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
As someone who put down the manga, I'm definitely enjoying the human parts. It definitely seems to adds to what I found to eventually be repetitive in the manga.

#919730 wrote:

I did laugh how none of the kids seemed to have cared about their teacher dying(?)

Right? Nor was it really clear what killed him. He blocked an attack (with a wind kamehameha...) that I presume was a breath attack, but could have been wind, and then got knocked back and turned to ash. You'd think it'd be some kind of breath petrification attack coming from an earth dragon, but then I don't know why he'd turn to ash. Regardless, he didn't seem to actually get directly hit with the attack...
And probably a few kids were at least seriously hurt if not killed when the ground blew up, but no mention of that either.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
What people don't understand is that without the human POVs, it just becomes a plain action fantasy survival story, without any apparent depth. The human POVs reveal the intricacy of the overall story, and it becomes more of a mystery which forces the viewer to piece things together on limited information. The human POVs are extremely important to the story's depth, so I'm glad the anime is not adapting the manga version.

Not really, everything that's part of the mystery is integrated into the spider side, if anything there's a lot more information trough the spider side with spoiler[her conversion with D/administrator]. I read trough the manga until spoiler[she reach the surface] without even knowing about the WN/LN and human side and at no point did I ever felt like I was missing anything, then I went a read a synopsis of everything that happened in the human side (after being completely unable to get trough those chapter in LN form) and really didn't feel like I learned anything more, it was mostly just reiteration and so generic it was already what I assumed.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Not really, everything that's part of the mystery is integrated into the spider side, if anything there's a lot more information trough the spider side with spoiler[her conversion with D/administrator]. I read trough the manga until spoiler[she reach the surface] without even knowing about the WN/LN and human side and at no point did I ever felt like I was missing anything, then I went a read a synopsis of everything that happened in the human side (after being completely unable to get trough those chapter in LN form) and really didn't feel like I learned anything more, it was mostly just reiteration and so generic it was already what I assumed.

Reading the synopsis of everything that happened and actually reading it are two completly different things you know.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
meiam wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Reading the synopsis of everything that happened and actually reading it are two completly different things you know.

Agreed. You're missing more than you realize by not seeing/paying attention to the human side. I will try to point that out as it comes up, but it should become more evident later in the series.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
meiam wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Synopsis might not be the right word, someone who read the LN/WN made a summary of everything that happened human side for manga reader.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the elements in the human side that tie into the world building arent really here yet. As Theron pointed out the human side is rushing forward with its story so those elements should be arriving soon. I think it might be cutting out some of the weaker material by moving forward and discarding those tons of small details that make up the world from their early perspective.

Im quite interested to see how, since we are reaching major events human side, spider and human event synchronise. Unless we go backwards we have almost reached the run away train part of the human story that took 2 novels to reach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 56