• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 am Reply with quote
The one thing I'm confused about right now is what the timelines are here, cause with all of the humans being the same age, then that would imply that they were brought into this world at the same time. Is that also the case for Kumoko, or was she born afterwards? The passage of time on Kumoko's end just isn't really clear
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:08 am Reply with quote
Spoilers for time synchronisation:
spoiler[Kumoko hatched while all the other reincarnates were still in utero. Or in egg; that's Fei's that she's trying to eat. In the novel there's a bunch of minor timeskips and years brushed over on kumoko's side and the timelines come back into alignment around V12. ]

It's actually a bit more complex than that: each chapter has a designated viewpoint character and the stories of each viewpoint character is told sequentially. Some of them in sync with Kumoko, some lagging; the same events can get told twice, sometimes three times. The planning must have been meticulous.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
The one thing I'm confused about right now is what the timelines are here, cause with all of the humans being the same age, then that would imply that they were brought into this world at the same time. Is that also the case for Kumoko, or was she born afterwards? The passage of time on Kumoko's end just isn't really clear

To add to what the previous post said, you're meant to be confused by the timelines at this point in the story. It's the big ongoing mystery of the first few novels and will probably take most of the series to become clear.

And yeah, I agree that the planning had to be meticulous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Spoilers for time synchronisation:
spoiler[Kumoko hatched while all the other reincarnates were still in utero. Or in egg; that's Fei's that she's trying to eat. In the novel there's a bunch of minor timeskips and years brushed over on kumoko's side and the timelines come back into alignment around V12. ]

spoiler[Honestly I think that's one of the worst part of the human side, this mean all the human are mentally in their late 30s yet they all act like they're still high school student.]
bennyl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is the first week I feel the director did a poor job creating a coherent episode. I think the spider side of the story is going along okay. The human side is being rushed for adaptation reasons, and frankly I don't care about their story at all. They are former classmates, they somehow found each other, the dragon was m an to the spider, the one guys a jerk, and the one guy has a hero complex. That's all we've really found out. If there isn't time to do justice to a part of the story, just cut it out. The spider story works. Now I'm just hoping the dragon eats everyone so I can get back to the spider story.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

spoiler[Honestly I think that's one of the worst part of the human side, this mean all the human are mentally in their late 30s yet they all act like they're still high school student.]

To be fair, they may have "lived" that many years combined, but they still haven't lived to that age. Their life experience still never went past high school the first time, so living it again doesn't mean they have post high school experience/maturity to further their growth. If anything, you might be able to argue that experiencing that period again would only reinforce their immaturity since they may have never grown out of it.

The only one without much of an excuse is the teacher (though she seemed fairly young in her brief appearance) as she was already an adult. We've only seen her briefly though, but it seems like she's just enjoying her renewed youth and acting more her new age.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The only one without much of an excuse is the teacher (though she seemed fairly young in her brief appearance) as she was already an adult. We've only seen her briefly though, but it seems like she's just enjoying her renewed youth and acting more her new age.

Did you read the novel?
There's a reason for the teacher to be like that.

spoiler[Essentially she has an obsession about wanting to be friend with everyone that lead her to study literally everything that high schoolers like (manga, novels, movies, etc) and created a fake persona.
After the reincarnation she used her role as teacher as anchor to her mind that's why she's so focused in gathering all the students.
]
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Right? Nor was it really clear what killed him. He blocked an attack (with a wind kamehameha...) that I presume was a breath attack, but could have been wind, and then got knocked back and turned to ash. You'd think it'd be some kind of breath petrification attack coming from an earth dragon, but then I don't know why he'd turn to ash. Regardless, he didn't seem to actually get directly hit with the attack...
And probably a few kids were at least seriously hurt if not killed when the ground blew up, but no mention of that either.

Try to remember how the teacher died, that will be important later.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
Did you read the novel?
There's a reason for the teacher to be like that.

Nope! Though looking for her original age I did happen upon spoiler[the fact that she has that student roster skill that tells her about her students and other details about them], but that's it and nothing more relating to it. Besides that point I did my best to avoid any spoilers Anime smile + sweatdrop

linkhuesitos15 wrote:

Try to remember how the teacher died, that will be important later.

Interesting. Thanks, will do!
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
aaa1e2r3 wrote:

To add to what the previous post said, you're meant to be confused by the timelines at this point in the story. It's the big ongoing mystery of the first few novels and will probably take most of the series to become clear.

And yeah, I agree that the planning had to be meticulous.

Yo based Theron is anyone on the editorial staff watching Redo of Healer independently?
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
While I generally like this adaptation, I have some serious issues with the pacing.
It's okay on Kumoko's side, a bit awkward and some things that I'd consider important to know are left out, but not too much.
However on the human side it's absolutely terrible. Not only does it leave out the entire childhood, it also mashes some of the later events together.
I mean, the last Kumoko scene of ep 3 is about at the half point of vol 1 of the LN, while the last human scene is almost at the end of vol 2.
It feels like the anime is fanservice for LN readers, who already know what's happening
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting coming from reading the light novel. Naturally I cant tell how a newbie would be feeling about the pacing. They might not even notice it. Personally I think they are doing a great job of removing some of the hardest to make interesting content to make the show more action packed. A ton of the skill and leveling stuff has been cut or relegated to background which removes entire pages of sheer skill analysis. On the upside this makes the show a ton more active. On the downside we find out far less about how Kumoko makes up strategies and skill combinations.

The big one of the latest episode was skipping the entire wasp sequence, which highlighted her new web skills and strategic planning as well as her second encounter with the earth dragon. Or am I remembering that wrong. Did she do that later? Im sure the first attempt was before the middle layer. On the other hand the scene is purely about skill development of thread manipulation. The show has actively avoided going into the thread manipulation and ninja skill ups.

You know in other shows I would say that 4 episodes is more then enough for the first light novel. But spider really isnt light for a light novel. It speaks volumes that 4 episodes still feels quick.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Have to say that the "monkey" CGI was not so good, but was still LOTS better than Ex-Arm
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Good episode, but man that was some bad CG.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Good episode, but man that was some bad CG.

Yeah, it really shows how good writing and voice acting can carry you through a lot. Because that CG was . . . a lot.

But the battle tactics were so clever and engaging that the ugly monkey CG started to disappear a bit. I mean, not totally, but definitely a bit. Does make me wonder what the BD will look like. They usually clean some of that up, don’t they?

Cryten wrote:
It is interesting coming from reading the light novel. Naturally I cant tell how a newbie would be feeling about the pacing. They might not even notice it.

I’m anime-only and I didn’t notice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 56