• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been rereading the LNs this past week, and I've gotta say, I'm definitely excited for the next half of the anime--shame ANN won't be reviewing it.

Based on what's aired so far, I expect them to delay the conclusion of the flashforward arc to the end of the series, which makes a lot of sense--it comes too early in the LNs, I think--and would probably be necessary for any future installments, as otherwise the continuity would get too confusing.

So I expect/hope the series to end after covering more or less the first 6 books, then maybe we can get some OVAs to cover nonessential material that was skipped (spoiler[drunk Kumoko], for example) followed by, ideally, a movie.

I mean, if No Game No Life can get a big-budget movie, surely Kumoko can too!

And, let's be honest, as bad as the CGI animation has often been in this adaptation, there's absolutely no way they'd have the budget or capacity to animate the spoiler[G-FLEET nonsense]. It helps that volume 7 is fairly standalone, so it's be perfect to expand into a movie--which could also allow for more fanservice with everyone's' favorite spoiler[baby bloodsucker (I am so looking forward to seeing her "training" animated).]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I've been rereading the LNs this past week, and I've gotta say, I'm definitely excited for the next half of the anime--shame ANN won't be reviewing it.

No, it'll still be covered on ANN, just not by me (Theron). As stated earlier in the thread, Lynzee has a replacement lined up.

Oh, and I had to add some spoiler tags to your post, since you were throwing around some details well beyond where the animated side of the story is right now. Please be more considerate about that in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, figured I was being vague enough I didn't need to use tags. Like, just knowing a proper noun of an upcoming plot element of character doesn't really spoil anything, at least in my estimation. But better safe than sorry, I suppose.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:57 am Reply with quote
This episode was one of the first times that the anime managed to sell the emotional burden surviving in the Labyrinth has been putting on Kumoko IMO.

The aftermath of this fight is a major turning point for Kumoko's character. Until now, her idea of "living with pride" has been all about looking out for herself. Never giving up on life, never tolerating having something taken from her, never accepting her current situation as good enough. But Araba's peaceful, satisfied death jabs Kumoko with an uncomfortable truth for the first time. Just having a conviction isn't enough, living with pride means living for something you value more that just your immediate survival. The way she's lived until now has kept her alive, but it's not a road that leads to a satisfying conclusion.

So now she has to start asking herself what her "pride" actually means to her and what does she want to live for.

Yuvelir wrote:
Like I want to know what that n%I=W is and the truth of the world, but I don't want to go through (at least) 6 times what we've already seen plus all the skipped gamebabble. But I guess making it shorter would be unfair for those who enjoy just watching Kumoko plan and fight.

This anime has better prospects than most in that regard. People are expecting the LN to end around volume 18 so with 6 volumes per season we could get the whole story in 3 seasons. I can count on one had the number of light novel adaptations I've watched that actually covered the story all the way to the end though, so I agree that it's frustrating.

We're fighting an uphill battle in the show's viewership count but it's not doing badly considering what we're up against. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll at least get a season two, which would answer most of the story's important mysteries.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Looks like it's official now that episode 13 won't be airing until next week. Crying or Very sad

Oh, well. Plenty of new stuff to check out until then. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
"Hey, maybe now that Kumoko is out of the labyrinth we'll get something other than fights on her end" how naive of me. And how ruthless of her, saving aniki's head solely to present it to the three great taratects.
I was ready to say that the OP confirms that maou isn't Kumoko at all, but of course right at the end of the episode she pretty much confirms that she can use her quad core to take over others. So even if Maou and Kumoko are fighting, there could be a number of reasons.

Considering that beings like Mother and Araba could pretty much come in and out of the labyrinth at will, I wonder why they're there at all. Mommy really didn't want anyone leaving the nest.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I was ready to say that the OP confirms that maou isn't Kumoko at all, but of course right at the end of the episode she pretty much confirms that she can use her quad core to take over others. So even if Maou and Kumoko are fighting, there could be a number of reasons..

Between the new opener and the anime dropping the reveal about "Arachne"- you still think "Maou" (Ariel) could be Kumoko?

Kumoko can only use her "quad core"(parallel minds) against her mother- The anime,albeit quickly, shows the soul pathway thingy skill of Mom's.
The whole scene- fight between between Kumoko and the four spiders- was one of the major scenes /plot points folks(like myself) were wondering why the anime had apparently cut.Why the anime moved it to occur outside of the Labyrinth is a bad choice,as such a event would've caught everyone's attention...But anyway, by moving it to occur after her fight with Abba,the story of Kumoko v Mom can unfold as a whole i reckon.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
I was ready to say that the OP confirms that maou isn't Kumoko at all, but of course right at the end of the episode she pretty much confirms that she can use her quad core to take over others. So even if Maou and Kumoko are fighting, there could be a number of reasons..

Between the new opener and the anime dropping the reveal about "Arachne"- you still think "Maou" (Ariel) could be Kumoko?

Kumoko can only use her "quad core"(parallel minds) against her mother- The anime,albeit quickly, shows the soul pathway thingy skill of Mom's.
The whole scene- fight between between Kumoko and the four spiders- was one of the major scenes /plot points folks(like myself) were wondering why the anime had apparently cut.Why the anime moved it to occur outside of the Labyrinth is a bad choice,as such a event would've caught everyone's attention...But anyway, by moving it to occur after her fight with Abba,the story of Kumoko v Mom can unfold as a whole i reckon.

Very easily? For all I know, Maou could be mommy forced to evolve into arachne while mind-controlled by Kumoko (afterall, "Arachne" was an evolution detached from any branch). With the White Lady being the most obvious 'candidate' to be Kumoko's current body.

Or alternatively, Kumoko could find another way or skill to connect with a different spider (or even a different creature, and transfer spider powers for it). This is a spider that can produce venom outside her body, telepathically control the movement of threads mid-air, open portals to hell, poison, rot or kill something just by looking at it, produce three additional minds, teleport, throw fireballs, destroy a fortification in seconds, stand on air and hack back a mind-hacker. Now that she has showed us the method to controlling someone else, I have no reason to think she won't find a way to do it again.

Given the reactions of novel readers, it's very likely that spoiler[Maou is just Shouko with Kumoko-Wakaba being just the White Lady and they having no relation otherwise], but focusing on the current hints and rules, Kumoko being both Maou and the White Lady (and either Wakaba or Shouko being Kumoko) is a very real possibility.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess the show reaps what it shows. There is a somewhat awkwardness to some scenes this ep as it attempts to bridge the lost information from cut content by inserting new anime unique content to make up for what was missing. If you count translocating the arch and greater taratech fight to a new location and time this episode is 90% anime original. They even changed the fortress to instead of being directly along the entrance of the labyrinth to actually surrounding it.

I will note that the arch taratech happened before the nightmare fight in the source and was the reason kumoko was already at her current evolution in the nightmare fight in the source. Still I can understand the series wanting to make all the mother content bunch together instead of being peppered through out her adventures. The first 4 novels where like a jigsaw puzzles spread out over a table. All the elements occurring separately needing you to mentally put it all together. Also that intro wow... I definitely cannot comment on that as any comment will infer material I shouldnt.

What I am disappointed at is a lost scene involving humans in the labyrinth after the nightmare fight. Ahh well.

Is it me or has mother changed model? Or am I still remembering the light novel designs of her being much more armoured and spread over a long distance? instead of being a big brown furry spider with most of its body shifted backwards from its large spindly legs?

Kinda weird that the arch looks closer to kumoko then mother.

The show is certainly building up the human side. I hope it gets moving next ep instead of differing around with filling in minor plot for another episode.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I will note that the arch taratech happened before the nightmare fight in the source and was the reason kumoko was already at her current evolution in the nightmare fight in the source. Still I can understand the series wanting to make all the mother content bunch together instead of being peppered through out her adventures.

Is it me or has mother changed model? Or am I still remembering the light novel designs of her being much more armoured and spread over a long distance? instead of being a big brown furry spider with most of its body shifted backwards from its large spindly legs?

I was wondering why mommy cared about Kumoko now all of a sudden after months of ignoring her. Looks like the answer was more akin to "she didn't".

As for the model... I remembered her smooth and with the abdomen tilted upwards, but I was wrong. She actually looked kind of like a boulder with legs. So yes, they've changed the model.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I was wondering why mommy cared about Kumoko now all of a sudden after months of ignoring her. Looks like the answer was more akin to "she didn't".

There was some good subtle stuff along novels 2 and 3 as mother notices that kumoko has survived and is getting stronger. Kumoko starts noticing why she is feeling feelings which she didn't know she had. Which culminates with the attempt to take full control of her with kin control at the middle end of novel 3. Which fails because her current evolution granted her heresy nullification. I thought it was rather neat but was probably too small a set of details to include in the animes time budget. But the short of it was that mother didn't care about weak kumoko. But when she encountered her when mother fought rend (I did say that the cut content contained a lot of how the labyrinth worked) Kumoko proved to mother then she was worth notice.

I happily give this information because it is fully passed in the novel now and doesnt matter after this point where mother tried to push full kin control.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
There was some good subtle stuff along novels 2 and 3 as mother notices that kumoko has survived and is getting stronger. Kumoko starts noticing why she is feeling feelings which she didn't know she had. Which culminates with the attempt to take full control of her with kin control at the middle end of novel 3. Which fails because her current evolution granted her heresy nullification. I thought it was rather neat but was probably too small a set of details to include in the animes time budget. But the short of it was that mother didn't care about weak kumoko. But when she encountered her when mother fought rend (I did say that the cut content contained a lot of how the labyrinth worked) Kumoko proved to mother then she was worth notice.

It would have been nice to have though.
The weakest part of Kumoko's side is that there has only been two things to consider: battles and skill descriptions. So while the performance were great, the events themselves were dull and repetitive. Showing some spider danger slowly creeping in instead of being yet another sudden encounter would have been cool.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Cryten wrote:
I will note that the arch taratech happened before the nightmare fight in the source and was the reason kumoko was already at her current evolution in the nightmare fight in the source. Still I can understand the series wanting to make all the mother content bunch together instead of being peppered through out her adventures.

As for the model... I remembered her smooth and with the abdomen tilted upwards, but I was wrong. She actually looked kind of like a boulder with legs. So yes, they've changed the model.

To put it simply, the order of operations was supposed to go something like this. I don't think any of these are really spoilers because these are all events that have already passed in the LN or happened in the episode.

1. Leading up to the fight with Araba, Kumoko notices that Mother is starting to influence her thoughts and actions. Mother scattershots 1000s of kids out into the wild then draws the handful that survive to adulthood back in to be her minions through mind control. It had nothing to do with Kumoko personally.

2. Kumoko realizes that she can reverse engineer the soul link between them and sends her personas back into Mother's soul.

3. Mother can not repel this attack because of Kumoko's skill that makes her immune to psychic damage, meaning that Kumoko's personas are immune to any kind of mental counter attack.

4. Thus, Mother needs to hunt down Kumoko's main body and kill her before she eventually succumbs to Kumoko's hacking. The appearance of Mother's spider army is something Kumoko had been fully expecting, since had already been attacking their boss at this point.

I hope that summary makes it easier for people to understand.

Last edited by MagicianMan on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
MagicianMan wrote:

2. Kumoko realizes that she can reverse engineer the soul link between them and sends her personas back into Mother's soul.

3. Mother can not repel this attack because of Kumoko's skill that makes her immune to psychic damage, meaning that Kumoko's personas are immune to any kind of mental counter attack.

4. Thus, Mother needs to hunt down Kumoko's main body and kill her before she eventually succumbs to Kumoko's hacking. The appearance of Mother's spider army is something Kumoko had been fully expecting, since had already been attacking their boss at this point.

Points 2 & 3 only happened in this episode- as far as anime only folks are concerned.
Point 4 is a tad spoilery,because,again, that's only just happening in the anime.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
MagicianMan wrote:

Points 2 & 3 only happened in this episode- as far as anime only folks are concerned.
Point 4 is a tad spoilery,because,again, that's only just happening in the anime.

Point 4 may be pushing it, but I felt that talking about the events of the current episode and how it compared with the way current events were set up in the LN was fair game, I apologize if the moderators disagree.

The main take away is that the anime kind of did it backwards from the source material leading up to the end of the episode, but the end result is the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 56