• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:38 am Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Cryten wrote:
It is interesting coming from reading the light novel. Naturally I cant tell how a newbie would be feeling about the pacing. They might not even notice it.

I’m anime-only and I didn’t notice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most people that are complaining about the pacing are exaggerating.
At this point in the novel Shun chapters are slow and Kumoko chapters feel like a highschooler with an overdose of sugar.
I mean, yeah the anime skipped some parts but this is the everyday with adaptations.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:

Cryten wrote:
It is interesting coming from reading the light novel. Naturally I cant tell how a newbie would be feeling about the pacing. They might not even notice it.

I’m anime-only and I didn’t notice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd be really hard to notice considering the two side have essentially nothing in common at this point. At most someone could go "hey how come the spider was reincarnated as a baby and the human were reincarnated as teenager?", which really wouldn't impact the pacing.

Then again my favoured pacing for the human side would literally be light speed, like you would just get a brief flash of light and that'd be everything of the human side. Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was wishing the isekai kids would be back solely so I could catch a breather from those godawful CGI monkeys.
At this point I think they're just trying to be witty and bold, specially considering the ending. They've decided to cheap out on monsters by using very bad CGI, so might as well plaster them as bluntly as possible in all their awfulness, that way it might seem like a conscious artistic direction to add humour!
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Outside of Shiney monster CG I am still enjoying this adaptation quite well. Episode 5 introduces volume 2 content that I expect is gonna be really interesting to watch. There are a ton of skills that are background details now so its more becoming a hunt for references instead of worrying about skill ups. Like over eating just being a background stat details of her stamina.

We still have a big contrast between the human side and Kumoko's side. Since the story is always told from perspective we get a lot of personality from Kumoko but the class side is mostly brief moments of interaction. Kumoko's story follows the big logic of her explorations where as the class are simply events that happen and 4-7 peoples reactions to them.

On Therons review side I noticed they synced up the conversation with sue to Kumoko's ever expanding application of human knowledge to her monstrous situations. In the books It was there as more of a general reference but it works so well as the summary of her efforts to prepare for the middle stratum.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I had to pause the episode in order to get a good understanding of the game stats.

Don't think I'll bother reading the novels if the game stats are more prevalent there.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this isekai is more gamey than the ones that are literal games.

Quote:
but, again, the timing is clearly chosen so that comments in the human side line up with the monster side, such as Shun's statements about intelligent monsters or Yuri's comments about the dangers of Taboo

I prefer the one where Kumoko feels proud about her stats going on the three digits with speed being at 600, only for the dragon girl to casually see that all of hers are above 700 (suspiciously balanced) and pretty much yawns at it.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
I had to pause the episode in order to get a good understanding of the game stats.

Don't think I'll bother reading the novels if the game stats are more prevalent there.

Bad news: spoiler[They are]

Good news(?): spoiler[You don't have to bother remembering the Stats because they barely matter. Also the only skills worth remembering are the ones characters use repeatedly.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I prefer the one where Kumoko feels proud about her stats going on the three digits with speed being at 600, only for the dragon girl to casually see that all of hers are above 700 (suspiciously balanced) and pretty much yawns at it.

Earth Dragon Kagna's stats were also pretty balanced, so it's probably a dragon thing.

But yeah, that's a point worth bringing up, as it will help put in perspective some thing which come up later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Earth Dragon Kagna's stats were also pretty balanced, so it's probably a dragon thing.

But yeah, that's a point worth bringing up, as it will help put in perspective some thing which come up later on.

Its times like these that Im glad I read the novels before the anime aired
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Question:

Did the teacher die afer being hit by the earth dragon?

Because if he did it was super bizarre to see the whole class happy and clapping at the end of the fight.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Question:

Did the teacher die afer being hit by the earth dragon?

Because if he did it was super bizarre to see the whole class happy and clapping at the end of the fight.

After double-checking the source novels, the teacher getting fried in that fight is anime-original, so it's hard to say. (I'm annoyed that I missed that when writing up episode 3.) That earth wyrm fight getting connected to the magic training is also a major change from the novels, where the training and the dragon fight were two separate scenes. In fact, the wyrm fight originally happened after the human scene in ep 5, and they're leaving out some significant content in between. I won't comment on what gets skipped, since that could get fit in during one of the next two episodes, but I do feel that the ordering used for the anime flows better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait, was that supposed to be BURNING? That teacher and at least one student just seemed to disintegrate on contact.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Wait, was that supposed to be BURNING? That teacher and at least one student just seemed to disintegrate on contact.

Well its anime original so who knows.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok... so, for my my mental health's well being I am just gonna asume he survived... somehow.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
And there it is. Hugo's ego. He seriously thought this world existed for him. he's not the first guy in an isekai I've seen that thinks like that but damn dude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 56