• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mencor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The gift was wisdom, the trap was the evolution. I never said it wasnt pre existing, please dont conflate other peoples words with my own.

Maybe I missread but the way the sentance is structured the trap sounds to be specifik to Kumoko.
Weather I missread or indeed mamaged to mix up who said what I apologize, it certaintly wasn't my intent.

Last edited by Mencor on Sun May 02, 2021 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I largely agree with you. Though I do think the initial setup factors are D's doing. In that I think she did more than you believe. For example I believe she set it up so that Fei would be captured by humans freshly born. The incident with Kumoko and the egg on the other hand is probably co-incidence but at a writing level something that was certain to happen similar to how the spider silk scarf is co-incidence but a writing necessity.

My take on D is all about that entertainment and that entertainment should be unexpected what random things can come about from the reincarnations choices. But she seems to at least want to ensure the starting of the reincarnations had a path; both a chance at survival and a mean spirited irony tied to their existence.
Mencor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree with your second paragraph, though there is one argument that can be made against the theft being set up by D, well two but he second is incidental, if measurs where taken to bring out the egg what about Kumokos situation?
The primary is a bit of a potential spoiler[ The way things where every major faction had at least one reincarnator, after the theft Gulie lost his.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mencor"] So that would be a no.
I have not disputed that she has enabled Kumoko, rather she has done so at three occasions so far. /quote]

Quote:
So that would be a no.....
- Not about to list every reveal of this story.
Suffice to say the quality of the encounters between D & nameless trump the quantity of said encounters.

Also

Cryten's comments on the matter are fairly on point,as they've a clear understanding of the character that is D.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
It's very interesting (and fun) seeing anime-only viewers speculate and theorize here.... y'all are gonna have a hard time when this series ends....so little attention is being paid to this detail.
Mencor wrote:
The immortality description was: Inside of the system, you can no longer die.
That brief skill description turns the entire premise of this story on its head, clarifying explicitly that the cliched RPG mechanics of this universe are not a natural aspect of the setting, to be left unquestioned, but as is usually (always?) the case, but rather an artificial construction...
That little bit did not escape my attention at least! It fuels a speculation I have been mulling that the "world" of Spider is in an actual computer, however that would work. But like I declared before, I've done speculating and will just enjoy the ride as reveals and character details have proven unreliable clues to the plot trajectory due to the author's method of writing. I'm still fascinated what they will come up with next so the writing isn't "bad".

@Key- You mean they're all OVER 90,000?? That's IMPOSSIBLE!! (smashes the meter, thus completing the meme...) Wink
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
In order. The dialogue with Admin D (who I guess is more like Dev D. The SysAdmins were getting a bit lazy it seems). So unless it's a big fat lie, what they reincarnate as is based on what their "souls" were like... so basically Kumoko was always inhuman and probably wouldn't have had any moral qualms getting fellow humans killed if it were to her net benefit. And Shouko gets to be a horror staple because she was spooky. And I guess Fei is a dragon because she was prideful and obnoxious.

I totally agree with you. In fact, I remember writing a long comment in Mangadex about how even at the start of the story (some can argue that even before the reincarnation) Kumoko was already showing symptoms of Sociopathy and these symptoms were just amplified in her new life.
Unlike the anime, the manga does adapt the full labyrinth arc but it has the downside that it relays more in comedy than in the serious aspects. Those moments were Kumoko start to act pretty brutal are lost in the mountain of meme faces or cute spider doing cute things.

You know that the girl has something bad in the head in the moment she says that
The Spoiler are just scenes that the anime skipped
spoiler[she barely remember the face of her parents and she misses more her MMO character than her parents. Then you have that in the moment Kumoko start to get a little bit strong she starts to abuse and torture those monsters that are weaker than her.
After the monkey battle not all of them were dead, in fact, most were just stuck in Kumoko's web. Well, she just started to eat the corpses in front of the others and when she saw the monkey trembling she said:
"You're the ones who picked a fight with me, so you should’ve been prepared to die.
You’re not gonna catch me losing any sleep over killing something that tried to kill me first."]
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
The novels have taken a great deal of care to map out and consider how Kumoko behaves. I would love to discuss the elements of future novels that tie into your two spoilered points but this is not the place for that @link.

Although totally safe thing to talk about is the way the revenge monkeys work. IE if any of them are alive they will ceaselessly seek down the person marked for revenge with no thought for their lives. And Kumoko takes great pride in her survival. Remember how she reacted to Araba her great enemy giving up? She considers it a mark of her pride to fight tooth and nail every moment you are alive, and so she will kill those who fight her and consume them to keep herself going.

The full novel quote on that moment is as follows "Rendered immobile by my webbing, the monkeys are still desperate to put up some kind of resistance, so they shriek at me threateningly when I approach. I sense a hint of fear in their cries, too, but what do I care about that?"

"They’re the ones who picked a fight with me, so they should’ve been prepared to die themselves."

"You’re not gonna catch me losing any sleep over killing something that tried to kill me first."
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The novels have taken a great deal of care to map out and consider how Kumoko behaves. I would love to discuss the elements of future novels that tie into your two spoilered points but this is not the place for that @link.

Although totally safe thing to talk about is the way the revenge monkeys work. IE if any of them are alive they will ceaselessly seek down the person marked for revenge with no thought for their lives. And Kumoko takes great pride in her survival. Remember how she reacted to Araba her great enemy giving up? She considers it a mark of her pride to fight tooth and nail every moment you are alive, and so she will kill those who fight her and consume them to keep herself going.

The full novel quote on that moment is as follows "Rendered immobile by my webbing, the monkeys are still desperate to put up some kind of resistance, so they shriek at me threateningly when I approach. I sense a hint of fear in their cries, too, but what do I care about that?"

"They’re the ones who picked a fight with me, so they should’ve been prepared to die themselves."

"You’re not gonna catch me losing any sleep over killing something that tried to kill me first."

There is also the issue that spoiler[Kumoko is under the effect of several ruler skills, all of which can effect someone’s mind in strange ways]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
So we start the episode starring Ariel, with a very Kumoko-like personality, implying that her... very stubborn subordinate was Kumoko (pan to the White Lady looking ominous with her closed eyes and not a single spoken word). And then we have one of Kumoko's processors jumping to Ariel, and even her can't fight it off, so her only choice is to annihilate Kumoko... which we know can't happen, so it's pretty much a given at this point that Kumoko is hijacking (or at least dominating in some way) the Demon Lord.

I'm more intrigued about the Vestiges, which have Kumoko's voice. What's their deal? Are they normal arch taratects affected by their link with Kumoko? Are they phantom copies of Kumoko and her taboo knowledge? Or did Kumoko's minds multiply somewhere along the way and she's actually controlling all of them? What interest does Kumoko hold on the Elroe labyrinth anyway?

And I just realized that the Japanese name for the Nightmare is Akumo, because of course it is.
Oh right, there's also Shun's dream. Of course there had to be a conspicuous spider in a corner. A Vestige spying, Kumoko's old self (with Wakaba's memories later thrown in for some reason) or the god known as Administrator D?
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
All very good questions that all of us with further knowledge should stay the hell out of the way of answering even in vague hints. Because those questions are one of the main fun things about Kumoko Desu.

Nice spot on the Akumo but I thought It was Akuma? At least thats what I've heard in other anime talking about demons and monsers.

I notice the 2d animation is struggling a great deal again. And they completely avoided showing any of the vestiges in actuality. The compositing wasnt terrible unlike the earlier 2d fight in the series but there was a lot of noticeable short cuts that made actions of the team look a little wonky. And the 2d spells dont quite match up with the 3d model of the earth dragon.

Something that strikes me is how strong shun and company get. They are basically the equivalent to kumoko of only a few episodes ago despite having very little combat experience. A state that any other humans encountered consider impossible strength. But he, Katia and Fei acheive such heights quite easily in comparison. Heights that took his brother a lifetime of fighting since he was 6 years old to acheive.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Something that strikes me is how strong shun and company get. They are basically the equivalent to kumoko of only a few episodes ago despite having very little combat experience. A state that any other humans encountered consider impossible strength. But he, Katia and Fei acheive such heights quite easily in comparison. Heights that took his brother a lifetime of fighting since he was 6 years old to acheive.

Maybe because they also have a dragon.
But wait, was that other dragon supposed to be on the realm of Araba's strength?
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Not quite. Araba had all round 4000's ish stats where the earth dragons best stat was speed and it was at 3600. Also araba had a ton of skills he had picked up over his lifetime and all his skill points he used to fight Kumoko. So no not that strong. But you could compare it to a stronger version of rend.

If the earth dragon gained the experience and wit of araba it could be compared.

<Earth dragon Ekisa LV 2
HP: 2,808/2,808 (green)
SP: 3,655/3,655 (yellow); 2,032/3,645 (red)
MP: 1,312/1,312 (blue)

Offensive: 2,498; Defensive: 2,455
Magical: 1,298; Resistance: 2,452
Speed: 3,600

<Earth dragon Araba LV 32
HP: 4,663/4,663 (green)
SP: 4,570/4,570 (yellow) ; 4,569/4,569 (red)
MP: 4,076/4,076 (blue)

Offensive: 4,610; Defensive: 4,597
Magical: 4,022; Resistance: 4,138
Average Speed Ability: 4,555
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
- And then we have one of Kumoko's processors jumping to Ariel, and even her can't fight it off, so her only choice is to annihilate Kumoko... which we know can't happen, so it's pretty much a given at this point that Kumoko is hijacking (or at least dominating in some way) the Demon Lord.

I'm more intrigued about the Vestiges, which have Kumoko's voice. What's their deal?

Oh right, there's also Shun's dreamspoiler[. Of course there had to be a conspicuous spider in a corner. A Vestige spying, Kumoko's old self (with Wakaba's memories later thrown in for some reason) or the god known as Administrator D?]

"processors"= Kumoko's parallel minds - the mind of the body is yoloing Ariel.
Quote:
so it's pretty much a given at this point
- There is a huge chunk of story which connects the goings on of Ariel & Companions and the doings of Shun's party.... In between those two groups, we've our hero spider Kumoko and her adventures of 15 years ago.
Quote:

I'm more intrigued about the Vestiges, which have Kumoko's voice. What's their deal?
- take note of two scenes:
The Vestiges' answers of "master" & "mother" to Shun's question of how they know about the Reincarnations and a head pondering's on it's future starting at 19:39 on
Also...the anime spoiler[left out a very important skill gained in the last episode.]

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Fri May 07, 2021 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Something that strikes me is how strong shun and company get.

Yes the Plot is strong with Shun and his party,has to be to keep the story moving along Smile
but
Would say spoiler[the Nightmare Vestiges & horde are a more than a little reason for Shun & Co' relatively easy passage. ]
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see that not many people are talking about the reveal of the system voice being an actual person, seemingly imprisoned somewhere.

That was one of the most memorable moments of early worldbuilding that stayed in my head. I think Vol 4 in general is where I started to fully appreciate how much of the story structure I had taken for granted as "this is just how isekai with RPG mechanics are".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 56