• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Wait....hold up, after watching the latest episode, I start to realize there is something that the anime (or the novels too at this point? I am an anime-only though) is trying to hint:

Does human side and spider perspective happening at complete different timeline? (Or more precisely, Kumoko’s current perspective is at least years earlier than what we see from human side?)

At first I thought maybe I am just over analyzing things as an anime-only, but this episode is definitely not being subtle about potential mirror-matching between two storylines. There is a clear disconnect between the hero’s perspective on the dungeon than what we see from Kumoko, and now that I rethink about it, is it possible that although the classmates were reincarnated at same time, there is a difference in timeline that was caused by their different growth period, thanks to their difference in species? (I mean, it does take longer for human to mature relatively speaking)

Of course, this is all speculation at this point as an anime-only, maybe I read way too much
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was obvious. It would make no sense for Kumoko and only her to be born after literally everyone else has been around for a decade with the same age.
There was also the not at all suspicious earth dragon egg that some explorer snagged.

So I guess this is the effect of turning your brain into a dual core pricessor that can take a peek at the source code while raising your taboo skill. You just become a demon lord with strong spider minions.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Wait....hold up, after watching the latest episode, I start to realize there is something that the anime (or the novels too at this point? I am an anime-only though) is trying to hint:

Does human side and spider perspective happening at complete different timeline? (Or more precisely, Kumoko’s current perspective is at least years earlier than what we see from human side?)

Evidence definitely seems to be building in that direction, doesn't it? Honestly, I think this is actually coming through more clearly in the anime version than it did in the more erratically-ordered novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I figured it'd be too soon to see kumoko all grown up, but I guess that's what that "fake" spider was fearful of. Now as for that demon lord...

Well, Hugo certainly seems like a reasonable fellow /s

The spider fight was good, so I hope we get to see more of the human side Smile

edit:
Quote:
Given that this scene is shown right after the first Parallel Mind is introduced, could there be a connection?

Oh, now that would be an interesting conclusion to the extra personalities. Eventually breaking off and doing their own thing.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well finally the Parallel Mind and The Demon Lord made their first appearance. From here the story just go up to the infinitum.
Julius fight was way better than Shun & Co against the Earth Wyrm. It did have some shot with weird angles but the fight really showed how dangerous the Vestige is.

Also, my girl the Demon Lord looks really good (yay), Balto also looks good and knowing that he has Goblis Slayer's VA I wanto to hear him say "Souka".

Btw, a little fun fact. Sumire Usesaka (Demon Lord's VA) was Kumoko's VA in a Radio Drama that the novel had some years ago.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
A little bit spoilery question for novel readers, how much longer do you think until Kumoko being more involved with a main storyline/arc?

Honestly I started to feel repetitive of the "monster of the week" stories. I'm actually expecting that this entire season will only feature such stories from Kumoko, with her becoming an OP being, being the ending of the season. I think I'd still enjoy the series thanks to Kumoko's antics, but still I want something more if that's really the case.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
A little bit spoilery question for novel readers, how much longer do you think until Kumoko being more involved with a main storyline/arc?

Depends on what you mean by main storyline.

If you mean the Shun & co. then spoiler[not even the light novel has reached that point yet. In the web novel, we learn she manipulated some events that happen to Shun (events which will happen this cour), but we don't see her POV of that event until much later]

On the other hand, if you mean spoiler[her leaving the dungeon then that should happen this cour but she won't interact with Shun or the rest this season ]

Last edited by Hal14 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:

Honestly I started to feel repetitive of the "monster of the week" stories. I'm actually expecting that this entire season will only feature such stories from Kumoko, with her becoming an OP being, being the ending of the season. I think I'd still enjoy the series thanks to Kumoko's antics, but still I want something more if that's really the case.

(Not plot spoiler, just the number of the episode)
spoiler[Around episode 9 (the season will be 24 episodes long)]

But the correct question would be:
(Context spoiler)
spoiler[When will we discover that she's already involved in the main plot?
She already let the Hero live in this week's episode.

The anime is running in 2 different timelines. Kumoko's is running 15 years before the Students' one.
In episode 9 it should be revealed that Kumoko is the Demon Lord we saw in the end of this episode.]
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
Dian Z wrote:

(Not plot spoiler, just the number of the episode)
spoiler[Around episode 9 (the season will be 24 episodes long)]

But the correct question would be:
(Context spoiler)
spoiler[When will we discover that she's already involved in the main plot?
She already let the Hero live in this week's episode.

The anime is running in 2 different timelines. Kumoko's is running 15 years before the Students' one.
In episode 9 it should be revealed that Kumoko is the Demon Lord we saw in the end of this episode.]

spoiler[Kumoku isn't the demon lord though and is just a commander.]

Last edited by Leviathonlx1 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I had been suspecting that Kumoko was having at a different time, since her classmates mentioned having lived their lives up to being teenagers, so if Kumoko was born at the same time she would be a lot more active than human babies or something. And it kind of felt like the earth dragon egg was being hinted at as being the girl who bullied her, taken to become the pet of a newly born prince. The questions I had was if she was still in the dungeon or not, and with that spider that got attention of heroes, that looks similar to she is now but is not her, I was thinking it safe that it is probably not her and she might be very strong. A lot of the skills Kumoko keeps picking are ones that I would think push her to be a demon lord or defy god in some way, but she has not received any skills yet for controlling or working with other monsters to fight.

If I had to put a theory, and based almost entirely on colour schemes, Kumoko could be the girl all in white that was next to the demon lord at the end of the episode. Perhaps if we saw her eyes or heard her voice it would have given it away who she is. It probably being a question of how Kumoko can take a more human form, rather than becoming the giant spider of her mother. Or the semi-telepathic version we saw in this episode, who just wanted to kill, because I imagine she would rather work smart in not inviting attacks on her. The whole spider and fire thing has made me think of Quelaag from Dark Souls.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:
spoiler[Kumoku isn't the demon lord though and is just a commander.]

spoiler[I know, I just think it's better to make them believe "Kumoko = Demon Lord " just like the novel does.]
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I always though the "use the snake for protection" thing was really stupid. Sure it has scale, but it's also a free meal just lying there for any animal to eat for free, that thing would be swarmed with creature within minutes.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Just a correction for the latest review you spelt time as tame in an early paragraph.

I can really sense Theron's fandom in the reviews having enjoyed it myself. I would personally be careful about hinting too hard about future events but what can you do Smile. Its funny I always assumed it was the other in the room that intimidated the nightmares vestige but the anime heavily implies it was the demon lord. With a more direct implication instead of the novels "Hmm? Well, it seems like one of them got a false start".

The main thing I think feels different to this version compared to the novels was the sense that the vestige could win on its own. In the novels it was resisting all their efforts until it became stunned and showed that it was too fast to corner. Where in the anime it felt like julius was able to get on top of the situation easier. Maybe thats just me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The main thing I think feels different to this version compared to the novels was the sense that the vestige could win on its own. In the novels it was resisting all their efforts until it became stunned and showed that it was too fast to corner. Where in the anime it felt like julius was able to get on top of the situation easier. Maybe thats just me.

I think that's just a natural consequence of anime adaptations of fight scenes typically being truncated anywhere from a little to a lot. It was only a little in this case, as the fight played out similarly in the novel.

As for the long-term plot matters, the human side is definitely going to be more plot-intensive for a while, but a building into a bigger plot on the spider side is also coming and should start showing itself later in this cour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(which, notably, are still vastly smaller than the spider Kumoko referred to as “mother” back in episode 1)

It actually surprised me to see the frogs and wasps in scale to humans. It has always been hard to pin down the size of Kumoko or the other monsters, since as soon as she's about the size of a monkey's head she also turns out to be way smaller than a catfish's maw. And the birth sequence wasn't a very good indicator as newborn spiders are like 1 millimeter wide.
I always assumed Kumoko must be about fist-sized but she seems to actually be a bit larger than a basketball... not even in Australia...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 56