• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:
(which, notably, are still vastly smaller than the spider Kumoko referred to as “mother” back in episode 1)

It actually surprised me to see the frogs and wasps in scale to humans. It has always been hard to pin down the size of Kumoko or the other monsters, since as soon as she's about the size of a monkey's head she also turns out to be way smaller than a catfish's maw. And the birth sequence wasn't a very good indicator as newborn spiders are like 1 millimeter wide.
I always assumed Kumoko must be about fist-sized but she seems to actually be a bit larger than a basketball... not even in Australia...

She is a monster spider, not a realistic one, and through my long history in video games I have general ideas of what the monster spider sizes can be. They be born about the same size of or a little larger than more real spiders, so they can be swarm enemies newly hatched, and the largest should be very big.

Reminds me that I was playing an RPG not too long ago, It Pathfinder or something, and the regular big spiders were fairly tough, but the baby swarms were a total pain to deal with because I had to use area of effect spells to damage them, which I had none of. So little ones were worse than the bigger guys.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
Her current form I think is around the size of a large dog and is a similar size to what she started out as, only slightly larger from armour plating. She is a small monster spider. The greater taratects where shown to be about the size of a horse length ways and twice that wide.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Reminds me that I was playing an RPG not too long ago, It Pathfinder or something, and the regular big spiders were fairly tough, but the baby swarms were a total pain to deal with because I had to use area of effect spells to damage them, which I had none of. So little ones were worse than the bigger guys.

You can use torch to deal with them.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
It actually surprised me to see the frogs and wasps in scale to humans. It has always been hard to pin down the size of Kumoko or the other monsters, since as soon as she's about the size of a monkey's head she also turns out to be way smaller than a catfish's maw. And the birth sequence wasn't a very good indicator as newborn spiders are like 1 millimeter wide.
I always assumed Kumoko must be about fist-sized but she seems to actually be a bit larger than a basketball... not even in Australia...

Kumoko is about the same size that Fei was at the time of the earth wyrm fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
This series may have my favorite ED of all time. Or it will once I know what the lyrics and dialog are.
Alhasan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
This series may have my favorite ED of all time. Or it will once I know what the lyrics and dialog are.

The lyrics is very much a spoiler so I advise not looking them up if you anime-only right now
Alhasan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciate this show, it is not the most splendid Isekai this season in terms of visuals but the overall experience is the most enjoyable.

The heroine spider is a bless and Aoi Yuki performances are Phenomenon!

about episode 6 spoiler[I guessed that maybe the spider timeline is very different than the human one but it seems to me that she is the demon lord(?), if it is the case how many years between the two timelines? I don't believe that you can be a demon lord in just a few years. Maybe the spider timeline is parallel to when they just reincarnated to the other world after they immediately blow up in the class?

its really intriguing, does the spider become the demon lord in just +12 years or so, she is hardworking alright...

also I thought the hero will be as strong as the demon lord but she is playing him for a fool.]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
A lot of interesting stuff in this episode, and this admin might as well be a Great Sage recombining skills willy-nilly.

But the first infodump scene with elf-loli-sensei was just SO annoying. I have identified ALL class members, but I'm not gonna say how and you ain't gonna ask. Four of them have died, but I won't say who and you won't ask (I really don't care about their identities, but these characters SHOULD care, specially the dragon). Three are out of bounds, but I won't say who or why. You shouldn't get too many skills, but I also refuse to say why.
Infodumps that are full of [redacteds] to stretch mysteries for longer are annoying by default, but it's more understandable when a context has been given as to WHY the character might not be able to say. In this case we have to take her word, the word of someone who we barely know at all, and that just isn't enough.

It makes me appreciate stories that manage to drip-feed their information without recurring to wiki characters that "stop their mouths" just in time.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Its okay to say that you've been spoiled or looked into things as long as you dont spoil for others.

So the roller coaster has reached the tip of the peak. Its go time as events get rolling. Looking forward to new episodes. The way the frog was physically recoiling from Kumoko's evil eye was a little odd. Its like it made the frog go into drunk dancing. It was a fairly static episode for our favourite spider and basically the first episode where we have seen her do the novel special of spending a day mulling over skills and their uses.

The introduction of Administrator D is handled well I believe. I got the sense, even better then when reading, of Kumoko's dread over how wrong the worlds system is and how she has been taking if for granted that it just worked. Great stuff.

Human side is still Human side but at least the human side works best when things actually happen. Since the characters are so weak in detail.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
But the first infodump scene with elf-loli-sensei was just SO annoying. I have identified ALL class members, but I'm not gonna say how and you ain't gonna ask. Four of them have died, but I won't say who and you won't ask (I really don't care about their identities, but these characters SHOULD care, specially the dragon). Three are out of bounds, but I won't say who or why. You shouldn't get too many skills, but I also refuse to say why.

In fairness, Shun, Kanata, and Mirei don't ask about the dead ones in the anime. (They do in the novel and are told who died.) Concerning the others, this is a case where if Oka revealed what she knows about them, she'd also have to reveal how she knows that, which is a much bigger secret which would lead to questions about other things she doesn't want to be asked about at this point.

IOW, Oka is dodging a lot more troublesome questions than she's letting on about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In fairness, Shun, Kanata, and Mirei don't ask about the dead ones in the anime. (They do in the novel and are told who died.) Concerning the others, this is a case where if Oka revealed what she knows about them, she'd also have to reveal how she knows that, which is a much bigger secret which would lead to questions about other things she doesn't want to be asked about at this point.

IOW, Oka is dodging a lot more troublesome questions than she's letting on about.

I assumed it was something like that. The first one was more of a characterization issue rather than a narrative one and the anime probably cut it to put in more skill-mulling.
As for the rest, if the character doing the infodump needs to be so secretive that you can't even show why the character has to be secretive, maybe it isn't the right character to do an infodump. (or the right characters to listen in)
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Really wish this show would just focus on Kumoko, everything else is incredibly boring.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Really wish this show would just focus on Kumoko, everything else is incredibly boring.

Not enjoying the different timelines eh?

The introduction of Sophia should spice up the human side a bit.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if I wasn't already enamored with this franchise from the novels, episode 7 would have hooked me deeply

I have literally the opposite reaction, if I didn't already love the story (thanks to the spider focus manga) I'd have dropped the show this episode.

Spider side is suffering from being just infodump after infodumb because they have to cut combat to make space for the human side. So this week start with the spider getting a bunch of new OP skill, seemingly out of nowhere and undeserved, then later return for the second spider scene... which is just her getting a new OP skill, seemingly out of nowhere and undeserved. The world literally being just a big video game is also not particularly intriguing since almost every story that tried this aspect ended up making the world far less interesting, so if I didn't already know that the story use that aspect in a not-so-bad fashion I'd just have assumed that it would eventually ruin the story.

Human side was just... ughhh. Elven teacher not answering anything "because secret, tehehe" is so bad I still don't understand why no one in the production said "no" to this. And it's really hard to see how anyone would seriously consider not leveling skills a few weeks after a giant dragon attack them out of nowhere and they barely survived. The teacher not even attempting to give an explanation just make her seem incredibly stupid (which is a problem since the show clearly want us to see her as some super smart/wise person).

Then the whole "Hugo is a giant asshole" section... So Hugo can obviously see that he's stronger than MC-kun (thank to appraisal). He also know that the only reason MC-kun was able to beat the dragon is because he has a pet dragon familiar. Yet, for some reason, he's incredibly jealous of the main character cause that's what the story demand(hate those damn Gary Stu character and how incredibly popular they are). Then he proceed to explain his entire plan while shouting in a forest full of student, because that's what evil asshole do. Then for the stupid cherry on the top of the stupid cake, the teacher only lower his stats as punishment... Where to even begin? He's still nobility so he still has access to all kind of way to make other people miserable (whether reincarnated people or just regular people). It's also not clear that she even stop him from just getting his stats back by levelling up again, so it's at best a temporary solution. Oh and he just admitted to attempting to murder at least 4 peoples, but sure let him go free, not like anything bad could happen from that.
me_barron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this during the Texas snowpacolypse. I was surprised by how much I liked...half of it. The spider segments are great. She is a fund, adorable character I want to see develop. That being said, the human segments are so generic and boring. Can we stick to spidergirl?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 56