• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Too busy to explain but not busy enough to keep from gloating and condescending.

True, but given how Sophia was regarded by her classmates back in Japan, that's understandable. She's hardly be the first character in literature to lord it over her peers when she flips from being the class outcast to being the prettiest and strongest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Too busy to explain but not busy enough to keep from gloating and condescending.

True, but given how Sophia was regarded by her classmates back in Japan, that's understandable. She's hardly be the first character in literature to lord it over her peers when she flips from being the class outcast to being the prettiest and strongest.

What about... Kanata was it? Instead of explaining shit, he also spent a good deal of time acting flippant and cryptic. They all act like cartoon villains for no good reason.
Although nothing of that has anything to do with morality.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
I seem to recall him trying to explain things to shun, shun getting confused and then rebuffed by Oka and then shun.

I suspect the retort would be to explain things sooner. To which I would say I am not sure shun would be sensible even if he learns things that even you havnt learnt. he's the kind of suicidal idiot that would refuse to make any sacrifices and then attack those who would try and save the world.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

I don't know... even if true this doesn't explain Kanata not TRYING to explain, even if he fails it's the logical thing to do, he has spend a LOT of time playing the "Funny ara-ara villain" when he could say "The elves' technology will destroy the world".

He even spends WAY more time tryin to say the same thing in the most cryptic and impractical form when he told Shun "I don't understand why are you on their side".

Quite frankly, this is bad writing, evil characters who are actually not "bad" but have a higher plan but are cryptic for no reason than keep the "Mystery" for the reader its something you would expect from a Megaman game from the 90s, not a proper plot like this one.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am not sure the kids in the commune told Shun about how the elves kidnaped them and even killed their parents, all of them were also cryptic for no reason.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
They killed Shun's beloved brother, so getting him to listen would be... challenging.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
I think both of you are actually talking about Kyouya (the oni with the sword tricks), not Kanata (the guy reincarnated as a girl).

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
He even spends WAY more time tryin to say the same thing in the most cryptic and impractical form when he told Shun "I don't understand why are you on their side".

This isn't any clearer in the novels, but my impression was always that Kyouya isn't aware that Shun and crew (and especially Oka) don't know the truth. After all, Oka is with them.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, I am not sure the kids in the commune told Shun about how the elves kidnaped them and even killed their parents, all of them were also cryptic for no reason.

Um, no, the kids in the commune did say this very explicitly. They even used one of their own as an example.

EDIT: Tuor of Gondolin also makes a very good point here, and that's definitely a factor in this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The problem is: that explains why Shun wouldn't believe them if they told him the truth about what their plan is not a reason not to tell him.

If they tell him the plan and Shun answers with "You brainwashed my sister, killed my father and my brother, joined a psycho like Hugo and tried to kill 2 of us, I have no reason to believe you" that would be 100% justified and logical answer from Shun.

Not telling him just to keep the reader on the dark... if you must sacrifice internal logic just to keep your plot twist... it's not a good one.

For example, AoT virtually screams in your face who the shifters are and if you rewatch the series you say "How I didn't noticed it before", that's a good plot twist, we have no hints of what the "bad" guys' end game is here, so, when it's revealed then it will be like "Meh".

And yes, I meant the Oni, I just saw the name on the previous comment and copied it, sorry.

Last edited by Minos_Kurumada on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Not telling him just to keep the reader on the dark... if you must sacrifice internal logic just to keep your plot twist... it's not a good one.

And it isn't the worst case in this series: I'll never let Oka's case rest. Literally the only point of that extra clause not to tell reincarnations is to keep readers in the dark.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's really weird how happy and relaxed Kyouya is portrayed in the anime actually. I feel like that's a mischaracterization. He should be the more serious and depressed "the sins I have committed force me to press on" sort of person.

If Kumoko cared to explain herself to the other students she absolutely could have, but she kind of doesn't. The stance of Kumoko's group on the other reincarnations is mostly "We'll save them if we can. If we can't save them, oh well. Proper communication with other people is something Kumoko is almost incapable of to begin with.

Sophia, Shun's main point of contact so far, is actually kind of simple minded outside of fighting, and is indifferent to her old classmates to start with. She was just following White's orders to keep Shun out of the main fighting and didn't have any interest in explaining herself.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

For example, AoT virtually screams in your face who the shifters are and if you rewatch the series you say "How I didn't noticed it before", that's a good plot twist, we have no hints of what the "bad" guys' end game is here, so, when it's revealed then it will be like "Meh".

So I'm a Spider, So What? has good plot twist or two,and the bread crumbs have been teased throughout the anime-as they were in the source materials.

Though the anime cut short White's scene with the reincarnations...a few things were revealed & others strongly implied.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw various hints about the reality of the world, like the lv up voice being a girl who looks in pain, but nothing about what the non-villains are planning.

Up to now, their only plan seems to be to stop Potimas because his tech is bad, perfect, there is no reason no tell Shun about it, if there is a more complex plan there is no foreshowing whatsoever I can remember.

Quite frankly I am having Yashahime flashbacks here, is one of those little things that ruin the suspension of disbelief and it's also so obvious and easy to fix, 3 examples:

- Taboo does something bad, like killing you after an arbitrary time limit, telling them the truth triggers Taboo so they don't wanna tell them.

- Potimas placed magic bombs on them when they were young, the trigger is them learning the truth.

- Taboo grants you the knowledge, but if you share it you die, so they can't tell them about it because if they die nobody stops Potimas.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I saw various hints about the reality of the world, like the lv up voice being a girl who looks in pain, but nothing about what the non-villains are planning.

Up to now, their only plan seems to be to stop Potimas because his tech is bad, perfect, there is no reason no tell Shun about it, if there is a more complex plan there is no foreshowing whatsoever I can remember.

Small consolation for the anime, but the entirety of volumes 6 and 7 are about answering most of the remaining questions of the setting and volumes 8-10 are about figuring out what everyone is going to do about it. So by the end of a theoretical season two every pressing question about the world will be answered.

As for Shun, you may be right, but a fair question to ask though is why should they go out of their way to reach out to him? He's not a player in this game and he never was. He's a game piece that doesn't realize how little his actions have mattered. He's, at best, someone they'd like to shelter out of lingering attachments to their old lives. Not someone they consider either a real enemy or a potential ally.

Quote:

Quite frankly I am having Yashahime flashbacks here, is one of those little things that ruin the suspension of disbelief and it's also so obvious and easy to fix, 3 examples:

Well, one of them basically does have a bomb around their neck. spoiler[It's Oka, the only one who White genuinely cares about saving.] That limits how close they can get to Shun's group.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
At the very least they have reasons for the way they act. Its up to you if you dislike that or not. I will admit I did not like how little was told by oka herself until I realised how little she knew and how what she knew was so at odds with others.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
MagicianMan wrote:

As for Shun, you may be right, but a fair question to ask though is why should they go out of their way to reach out to him? He's not a player in this game and he never was. He's a game piece that doesn't realize how little his actions have mattered. He's, at best, someone they'd like to shelter out of lingering attachments to their old lives. Not someone they consider either a real enemy or a potential ally.

He wouldn't have even been there if Kumo and crew hadn't nuked his life for little to no reason and then Kyouya has the gall to ask him why he's there.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:

He wouldn't have even been there if Kumo and crew hadn't nuked his life for little to no reason and then Kyouya has the gall to ask him why he's there.

White & Ariel,along with their merry band,spent thirteen years arranging events that are playing out at the Elf Village.Shun is there because White arranged for him and his little band to be there.

White,in her way, is looking out for the reincarnations,Oka in particular.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 56