• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Many thanks to HAL14 and MasterGhost, this season's writing makes perfect sense now. Some were wondering if the writer for S1 and S2 were different and it seemed that way to me too. I didn't want to assume as I could think of a way that S1 was developed over a long time with much thought and S2 could have been done by the same author but as a rush project which didn't get the requisite time to carefully develop the story, flesh out the concepts and "sand off the rough edges" to get a good final product.

which is why yashahime might have its aaving grace! its an anime original series so the minute the author decides to do a well written manga, that debacle of a first season will be given the dragonball gt treatment and classified as non canon!

TPR dont have that luxury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
OK, so... the manga is entirely different from the anime, then? I haven't seen any of either yet, but I have been interested. That being said, this.... I dunno, would the manga be a safe and even good alternative?

Anything is better, at the rate the anime is going. The manga only truly began its downward spiral coming to the final stretch of the series, but the majority of it is still good. The arc directly after the first season that the anime skipped entirely is worth reading. This arc as well as the 1st arc is often used interchangeably as the best arc of the series.

The following arc is also good. There are some events between these arcs that felt like the pacing needed to slow down, so most of your issues with the series would start there, but they're not bad enough to hate where the series was going.

The problem would start creeping up when a certain aspect of Emma becomes to take hold of the story. The final arc of the series started off strong by directly attacking that aspect, but most, if not all of the interesting plot threads brought up in the final arc are unceremoniously handwaved in some of the most unsatisfying ways possible.

TL;DR: I'd recommend reading it. It's a good read 3/4 of the time. It's a great read 1/2 the time, and it's an awful read 1/4 of the time.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just, wow. Putting a season's worth of content in f*ck*ng slideshow. They should have just saved money and put 'go read the manga' in big bold letters. Mind you, I'm not saying one should read the manga since I dropped it. But I've just never seen a finale that felt so tired and pointless.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, show us the irrelevant backstory of this not-villain right now. Let him expose some new themes that will (not) be explored and developed (was that a normal human city right there?)

I don't know if it was the same in the manga, but the end and certain scenes being in such close proximity really highlights some strong inconsistencies. First is the world, they assumed it was an aliem world because everything was alien... but Sonju said it's actually our same world! Only it isn't, since you need to use a Stargate to reach OUR world! Which doesn't look to take place even 100 years after the fake setting of Grace Field.
And the next gross inconsistency is... Mujika and Sonju. When they first parted ways, the series went out of its way to write a scene that shows that Mujika didn't really care that much about the kids (or the world) and that what Sonju actually wanted was to hunt humans. But here we are at the finale and both of them are part of the party of a fantasy adventure series abridged into a quick montage (hey, needed time for that Ratri backstory) that seeks to change the world order by waging wars, meeting the Forgers of the Old Covenant and overthrowing the government, with the ultimate objective of emptying the world of humans (you know, those things Sonju wanted to hunt).
Sure made that emotional epilogue hit hard, after so many years!
At least Emma and Mujika make for a cute pairing, that's this series' OTP.

-Props to the impermeable coating of that knife. It sliced right through a throat and landed perfectly clean on the floor!
-But didn't William Minerva die in a forest?
-So much wasted potential. Phil spent the whole of S1 showing that he was ready to wreck some shit but in the end he did nothing.

P.S.: if I ever rewatch this series or read the manga, I'll keep an eye out for that platinum blonde girl about the same age as Don and Gilda that seemed to pop into existence after the timeskip. Did she go through a growth spurt?
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Good god I've just skipped through episode 11...

spoiler[

What happened to the bittersweet ending from the manga ?

We've now got a slap dab lets all be happy in the end finale ????

]

So glad I didn't buy the R2 BD's on this and stuck with the manga. Thoroughly disappointed.

Can't wait to see what the series finale review makes of this disaster zone of a finale.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
-Props to the impermeable coating of that knife. It sliced right through a throat and landed perfectly clean on the floor!

For a moment I actually thought that was an indicator that Peter hadn't sliced his neck at all, but nope, the knife was just inexplicably clean. Yes, I was wondering where the gushing blood from before the knife dropped was coming from, but I didn't exactly have much time to think about all that.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I was half-expecting a Danganronpa 1 type of ending when they opened the gates, hoping I'd atleast get a good laugh out of it. Instead, what we got is a slideshow of scenes that should've gotten more emphasis on but got glossed over. What annoyed me the most is how they had the audacity to even mention the Queen & the other royals in the VERY LAST Episode & of course, nothing of importance came from that either. What a disaster of a finale. Bury this adaptation next to We Never Learn S2 & move on.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
R.Obliv wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Remember a few weeks ago when an editorial was posted (animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2021-02-02/.169071) about how we should give this new season a chance and threw shade at the people who would clamor for a Neverland Brotherhood? I bet they feel pretty silly now.[/url]

As someone a bit put off by that article at the time, and was admittedly a little bit irked by how dismissive it felt to people who disagreed, I don't think it's entirely fair to point and laugh now. When they were writing it I doubt they could have predicted the anime would end up like this - the comments were made on the belief they were getting a good anime original story. I assume they were just sticking up for what they like from adaptations and expressing their excitement towards the potential of that being catered to, even if it did come across a bit in bad faith towards people who didn't have the same taste.

To be honest though... when an anime adaptation gets an "original story" these days it just translates to cramming an excessive number of manga chapters into 12 episodes, sanding down parts that don't fit, and then adding the "original" stuff onto that mess i.e. 5 minutes of exposition used to hand-wave episodes worth of content away. Rather than taking memorable moments and themes from the source material and trying to make an original story that accentuates them, such as one could argue FMA:03 did, they often rush through everything, undermining tension and pacing in an effort to adapt as much of the source material as humanly possible, highlighting the flaws in the manga instead.

The article was still very condescending about it. For every FMA 03, we still get five Tokyo Ghouls.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

And the next gross inconsistency is... Mujika and Sonju. When they first parted ways, the series went out of its way to write a scene that shows that Mujika didn't really care that much about the kids (or the world) and that what Sonju actually wanted was to hunt humans. But here we are at the finale and both of them are part of the party of a fantasy adventure series abridged into a quick montage (hey, needed time for that Ratri backstory) that seeks to change the world order by waging wars, meeting the Forgers of the Old Covenant and overthrowing the government, with the ultimate objective of emptying the world of humans (you know, those things Sonju wanted to hunt)

I'm sure this won't surprise you but all this is massively expanded upon in the manga to the point where most of the final arc is about fleshing out these two.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
I'm sure this won't surprise you but all this is massively expanded upon in the manga to the point where most of the final arc is about fleshing out these two.

Do you mean to tell me that Sonju and Mujika are more than a bodyguard and a plot device?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I think we should send James a bottle of something because when he sees Ep11 he is going to go KABOOM! I can't think of a more trite ending, maybe S3 (if that happens) will fill in details but not betting on it. The most savage betrayal of a story in anime history (?).
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I can't think of a more trite ending, maybe S3 (if that happens) will fill in details but not betting on it. The most savage betrayal of a story in anime history (?).

The slideshow near the end skimmed through the content that could have been a third season and then ended on a sort of anime original ending. It would be like if the last episode of AOT final season did a montage of all the content it had yet to adapt, then closed on a shot of the survivors laughing and smiling.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
-But didn't William Minerva die in a forest?

That's what I thought. I guess he had a bunch of surrogate Minervas out stocking the various safe-shelters and handing out pens, so it was one of them who died in the forest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And even I was baffled by the inclusion of the royalty scene, with dialog! that was instantly memory-holed.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The ‘human world’ is essentially New York? That’s hilarious
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I've read the entire manga, but have not touched season 2, so how bad is this?

What arcs and characters were removed from the story and what was rushed. I'm honestly curious how much of a mess this turned into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11