• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The first part of today's episode... I won't say it was useless since it did a good job at showing the horrors of Lambda (finally in "show don't tell" fashion), but definitely rushed since the whole escape seemed kind of gratuituous since we didn't have much information. We know there was some explosive in the bracelets, that Norman and Victor communicated through Rubick's cubes (how? why?)... and all of a sudden the whole facility is in ruins, mostly everyone dead and most human researchers have vanished, including the cartoon villain.
The next part was mostly a necessary transition. All this time I thought the pendant was a bug but it doesn't seem to be the case. Despite Sonju and Mujika's cruel words after they parted ways, there seems to be some legitimate attachment. Also, this isn't new but why are oni so conveniently weak at the eyes? Stab one and the thing is probably dead Laughing That's some Shingeki no Kyojin stuff, specially after that shot with the open maw over Emma.

The third part, well, Norman might act cool and mighty but in the end he is no Hitler and he quickly crumbles under the consequences and meaning of genocide, as he should. Everything we saw going on at that town was no more benign than what we saw of Lambda.
Grampa was shockingly cool and Emma was surprisingly cute. There's something about those crying bug eyes that make them incredibly human despite being completely alien.
https://i.imgur.com/SgusoAL.jpg

Also, I just noticed that right on the second cut of the ED Mujika projects a very perfect cross-shaped shadow. Subtle they are not.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
that is, until Norman was stopped short of his killing spree when the elder demon called out the child's name: “Emma.” My eyes then immediately proceeded to roll so hard that they nearly popped out of my skull

Yeah, the name of the little demon girl made me react the same way. So cheesy

The OST, OP and ED are the only good things about this trainwreck
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The part with the little demon kid named Emma happens in the manga, doesn't it? It's been a while since I read it.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Is this a joke??? Norman stops right before killing the demon child because he hears her name to be "Emma" just like the infamous Martha scene in Batman v Superman
Zack Snyder writing tier damn it!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
It's been two episodes since my last post and I have to say "how the mighty have fallen". So much potential being squandered with rushed pacing, amateurish characterization and unrealistic plotting. It is fairly obvious here that S1 was a complete well-thought out story and S2 is the complete opposite so I'm beginning to empathize with the fans screaming at the change.

It almost couldn't be the same sort of story and I don't feel deprived for not seeing Goldy Pond, but glossing over so much about the escape from Lambda only to turn Norman into the hapless villain only to try to turn him around in the same episode with an absolutely preposterous MacGuffin of a demon girl named Emma. Are we really expected to believe she is less than one year old and that the blind demon was so taken by human Emma that he named his granddaughter after her and this exists to become an important plot point when human Emma comes to save the demons from supposed extinction with Mujika?

About the only noteworthy reveal this episode is that the Old Blind Demon is an "evil blood" and that was once a trait some demons revered. It is also the hinted reason Norman's plan is doomed to failure as we see there are non-reverting demons who will survive the attack and much like antibiotic resistant bacteria, he will only succeed in wiping out "weaker" demons for resistant ones. And as a result, the authorities will flock to the town and be after those meddling kids in earnest again, no doubt headed up with Isabella and maybe Evil Peter Rat-ri twirling his metaphorical mustache right behind...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote
Do not get the complaint with Emma/Martha thing. Sure, it was awkward, but people criticize it here just for the fact of inclusion, which is not correct. It led to the solution instead of being it, that's the main difference.

Moment with "Emma" wavering Norman's resolve lasted about a minute before he decided to go on anyway. It's the conversation with her and the old man leaving her alone (Norman's main trauma gig) / him desperately trying to handle the fruit of his efforts (slaughter) that started to affect him.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
article writer: Thank God that there are only a few weeks left to go for this season, because I don't know how much longer I can stand to watch this once-excellent series shoot itself in the foot, again and again.

Yashahime: HOLD MY BEER!

neverland S2 is to be frank a blessing compared to the latter which is a bigger trainwreck overall and by far the worst sequel EVER than say UQ HOLDER or even DBGT and that's saying a LOT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Never in my life did I ever expected TPN to pull the Martha card on us. Man I can't... Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I swear, cheesy and corny as it was I bet half the people decrying the Emma scene would be mostly fine with it if Batman vs Superman didn't exist.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I swear, cheesy and corny as it was I bet half the people decrying the Emma scene would be mostly fine with it if Batman vs Superman didn't exist.

Honestly, I didn't even remember the Martha scene from BVS until someone pointed it out in a discussion thread, but I still found the Emma scene eye-roll inducing. Personally, I thought the literal 'blood on my hands' moment was far worse. The only thing missing was for Norman to say something like "What have I done?!", although if that had happened I might have suffered permanent eye damage.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Honestly, I didn't even remember the Martha scene from BVS until someone pointed it out in a discussion thread, but I still found the Emma scene eye-roll inducing. Personally, I thought the literal 'blood on my hands' moment was far worse. The only thing missing was for Norman to say something like "What have I done?!", although if that had happened I might have suffered permanent eye damage.

Honestly it wasn't a good or neat way to go about it, there were dozens of better ways to make Norman relate oni families to his own family.
But I feel like a lot of the flack it's getting is just transferred from a different work, and that never sits well with me.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I was kind've fine with the "Emma!" scene. I mean -- yeah, it was comically on the nose, but I guess I felt it was at least a natural, distantly affecting conclusion to this part of Norman's character arc. Given how this season has mostly drunkenly stumbled from one out-of-left-field plot reveal to the next, a deeply trite but nevertheless fundamentally well-motivated character moment like this was a high point for it, in my opinion.

But that's kind've damning with faint praise, as it were; everything since the kids left the forest has felt incredibly hurried to me. We've flitted so rapidly from forest escape to secret base to incompetent human? soldier bad guys to demon town to humanizing demons to vengeful supergenius Norman and his bloodthirsty brigade that it just feels like TPM needs to take a deep, deep breath and try to build some of this up gradually (which it seemed perfectly content to do in the much more focused, smaller setting of season 1).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to even think how much this season has been a letdown. Episode 8 finally gave us flashbacks to fill in what Norman went through--which should've been the "show, don't tell" case all along--and what little emotion it could wring from me evaporated the second we got back to the present.

The reviewer is spot-on in that time and space feel irrelevant. I don't care about any of the kid characters outside of Emma, Ray, and Norman; there is zero fear for anyone's safety, and don't even get me started on the whole, "we're supposed to care the demons are mutating and dying."

Also, while we're on track with complete and utter nonsense: why was the old blind demon's granddaughter named Emma? Are we supposed to believe he named her after human Emma? How could he have done that when they're the same age? Beyond that, why would I care?!

It's almost unthinkable that TPN's anime has devolved to the point it makes me think of other fans warning me off watching season 2 of Psycho-Pass. It feels like it was written by a completely different person. Anime cry
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm seriously starting to believe the producers decided to take note from R/manga's reaction to the manga for this adaptation, considering is all plot and no story (yes there's a difference)

Also, they cut off the part in which the manga flat out tells "I did what I have to do" edge lords that they are nothing but a bunch of cowards, which ironically makes this adaptation..... incredibly coward
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
How... convenient that oni gramps on top of being a cursed blood and on top of having a grandaughter named Emma also just happened to have Minerva's last posession and that last intel piece being EXACTLY what they need for their current predicaments.
Sympathy really goes a long way huh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11