• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t seen a reviewer breakdown like this since Pop Team Epic
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Nicolas. I think you've just peaked. Maybe you should do a straight review of how Ex-Arm is terrible next time as I don't think this joke can go much farther.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
There's something weirdly impressive about an anime so awful it can only be reviewed in the form of a film noir House of Leaves parody. Ironically, though, this kinda just makes me curious about what in the world could have gone on in the actual series.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see some metric on how well the show is doing. I'd find it hilarious if it was doing pretty well because of all the bad publicity and they signed up the director for more anime.
irfanyasinpro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote
Is ist beneficial for everyone? Or its a trick for subscription?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
This actually has a wiki, which I think must've been created by the director, given this description:

Quote:
The animation style feature in EX-ARM is known for the bold stylistic decision to blend 3D CGI and traditional 2D animation to create a unique visual style. While the animation has garnered some controversy for this radical new approach to animation, most professional anime critics have praised Visual Flight's willingness to experiment with new ideas.

A lot of fans are praising the impressive Eyecatchers made by Komi Shinya, the mangaka for Ex-Arm and many believe it to be the peak of the quality of the anime

Then if you click on the Eyecatchers link it says:

Quote:
Below are the eyecatchers for EX-ARM, specifically the EX-ARM (anime). To date, they are the only good looking parts of the anime.

(all bolding is mine) I have to wonder who these "most professional anime critics" are and what rock they found them under. Smile
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
Is this show really, like.... unreviewable?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Okay, Nicolas. I think you've just peaked. Maybe you should do a straight review of how Ex-Arm is terrible next time as I don't think this joke can go much farther.

One of he enjoyable parts about handshakers reviews was the author trying to put into words how bad something could look visually. While I enjoy the Macross tangents I surely would like to hear the horrors of a show I won't watch. Imagine a meme review about Garzey's Wing that never talked about it. We need some landmarks to find our way in the hellscape that is Ex-arm.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
One thing about this show that never fails to make me laugh is when characters are supposed to be angry, distraught or whatever, but their CG models just keep making the same emotionless, nondescript expression.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Goddamn, you really outdid yourself this week. Kudos for the review. Kudos!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh Captain my Captain, you shall henceforth be Midas Dupree to me. This review was absolutely INSPIRED! You have truly broken free of the intellectual shackles that hinders traditional reviewers and their narrow pursuits of analysis and commentary who insensibly fall into the trap of mediocrity and uniformity. Like Ex-Arm, you are blazing a trail across the ANN sky and like Cowboy Bebop, you are creating a new review genre...

Quote:
Is this show really, like.... unreviewable? We need some landmarks to find our way in the hellscape that is Ex-arm
Any attempt to review this masterpiece in any conventional way would produce a thoroughly uninteresting and erroneous product that would seem repetitive at least. Were I to attempt such in Nick's stead, it would read as follows

"Ep8- Continuing the sudden appearance of "Beta" as an antagonist into the action from last week's rote standard exercise in giving us Minami and family's tragic backstory, we finally get some solid plot progression. Turns out that Akira wasn't the "Enemy of Mankind" proclaimed in Ep1 but Beta was and also is the party responsible for infiltrating the auction and manipulating the attendees to eliminate Jinkoku-sha. However, other than being the catalyst for another obligatory set of amateurishly poorly animated fight scenes and silly shocked reactions from all concerned, the motivations of both Beta and Auctioneer remain opaque.

To add to the opacity as seems Ex-Arm's forte to date, we have the appearance of yet another Evil Government antagonist whose relation to the present cast is nebulous at best. At least with the uptick in action this week, there is the promise of more reveals if not any actual conclusions. Those seem reserved for the finale' but as trope-laden as the show has been and without any let-up in sight for the visually offensive CGI, I can't say I can hardly wait. More like, I'm not sure how much more of this I can take."

Quote:
One thing about this show that never fails to make me laugh is when characters are supposed to be angry, distraught or whatever, but their CG models just keep making the same emotionless, nondescript expression.
Or better yet, when Minami for one seems at times and from some angles to be smiling.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Nick outdid himself this week but what disturbs me is that having been posted on Feb28, this review doesn't appear under "all" for Feb 27 or 28 or March 1. Is this a hint that further Ex-Arm reviews will be discontinued?? Say it ain't so!! His stuff is too good...

I’m pretty sure it’s not showing up because it’s in the carousel? That’s happened to me with the Attack on Titan reviews. I keep waiting for it to show up on the list, only to find it in the carousel. I kinda wish there were a way around that . . .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
I finally figured out what the animation in this reminds me of (though the fans did a better job with facial expressions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUmMn7dvW6I
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
"Threats are part of reviews but you gotta look who is making that threat. This %$!Q$$$$$$$=$ A is killing all of us and is trolling all us!! He's $!$$#$$, I'm gonna make him bleed!!"
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
There is a 141 2/3% chance of the episode 9 review being the best of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12