• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much Tanteikingdomkey, Mr. May always has great info and I'm not a regular to his channel. I think he indirectly makes a good point, to appreciate what makes a great success one must understand what makes an abject failure...

Now, here is a little quiz to test your EX-ARM accumen
Q: Robot Maid is talking to Master Mraw and is able to use EX-ARM powers that only humans can. Nani?? What can this mean?
1. She's a psycho, Mraw is dead 'cause the little b*tch killed him after she got his EX-ARM unlock password
2. She's clueless, she doesn't get that she's on a phone line and Mraw is remote controlling her from Africa
3. She is an EX-ARM and Mraw is inside her body. She/they are enacting a dichotomy to Alma/Akira but where the machine slave subjugates the Master thus showing that inevitably slavers are themselves enslaved to thier lack of ability and the slave's ability
4. You are a dweeb. Asking questions like this instead of just experiencing it, man... Cool

The answer will be existentially revealed next epsiode!

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:13 am; edited 4 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 am Reply with quote
On the windows thing, there was a weird part of the episode where a rocket is teleported and suddenly a window turns off, like the light suddenly disappeared and it is a void. I kept repeating the scene to pick it up, and I think it is just a case that these windows are losing their renders when other stuff happens.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
How do you think it feels when you write a manga, you’re told it’s going to get a fancy adaptation, and then this happens?

I felt so bad for the manga especially when the trailer "declare war on all SF series", it doesn't matter if it is original production but using the pre existing series and putting it that way will make everyone chuckle a bit in the least.
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
After reading some of manga I wanted to point out they cut some stuff (understandably, no problem here) - sadly it means we've lost chance to see this artists using their tools to show scenes that take place in cyber-brothel.

Mix of fog on the bottom of the screen, mix of CGI and 2D - it would be a perfect statement on state of humanity at the beginning of 2021.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel kinda bad now that we've forced Nicholas Dupree to not only watch but defend this series. I can't imagine the sort of PTSD this assignment will generate.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
I feel kinda bad now that we've forced Nicholas Dupree to not only watch but defend this series. I can't imagine the sort of PTSD this assignment will generate.

That's what chocolate, whiskey, therapy, and going to petting zoos are for. To erase this sort of PTSD. Though I feel bad for his doctor. I can only imagine how the PTSD will kick in if his doc mentions lifting his ARM or getting a shot in his ARM. He'll just be in the corner crying about horrible polygons and bad editing.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I had a feeling I saw a cry for help in episode's 3 review, but it was my imagination after all. Of course, it had to be, there's no way Nicholas is suffering to review such a revolutionary masterpiece.

There's something to be said about how fast the CGI and technology in general has advanced during these trying times, it's time to slow down and go back to the origins, and that's exactly what this show is doing when it's trying to mimic the worse aspects of PS1-era graphics. It's truly courageous and provocative.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^ Tell it brother, great insight! Nick is not only not suffering, he has been inspired to poetry by the end of the review! You hit the problem with modern CGI, it distracts from the story and the concepts in it. Like minimalism, representing just the idea of characters and motion allows the viewer to look past what could be too realistic and the intellectual baggage that inherently carries with it to see what the plot is truly saying. Welcome to the EX-ARMY!!

BTW, I guess Ep4 means that #1 of my quiz from last time is the right answer (sort of). It almost missed entirely so I guess I shouldn't try to second-guess the trajectory of the story. Next Ep I couldn't even guess where it'll go and my brain trembles in anticipation!
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
So if MC kun controls the eyebot and Ogre, he techically takes up three slots of the cast shots in the opening theme.
CTM162

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^ Tell it brother, great insight! Nick is not only not suffering, he has been inspired to poetry by the end of the review!

Pretty sure he's just lifting lines from the first two verses of "Iron Man", from Black Sabbath. Still amusing, though.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
YEP this is some of the best content on ANN.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I am not watching this "show," you could not pay me enough to watch this "show," but my God I don't think I've ever laughed as hard over anything on the site as I just did. Mr. Dupree, you are a scholar and a gentleman.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that rating has almost as many rings as Tom Brady!
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Think of how many bad isekai we'd have been spared if any of those shows were as technically proficient as EX-ARM!

spoiler[And a fitting end to a dogshit season that proceeded despite a pandemic to have the GOOP King of the NFL take the title]
Madster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving the EX-ARM reviews, they're really entertaining. Just a reminder that we have another 7 weeks of glorious CGI anime fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12