• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogural

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
They.. they really did the running with toast in mouth... they really just did that.
Out of all of the ridiculousness, they really put in a scene where the main character was running with toast in his mouth, not to mention the ridiculousness of an indirect toast kiss. This is the work of absolute visionaries.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I would almost be disappointed in this week's review of the glory that is EX-ARM if Nick's coverage of spoiler[a certain football game] (that is definitely key to understanding everything about EX-ARM) wasn't more entertaining than spoiler[the game] itself. Laughing
srlracing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to get the feeling the show's community score each episode is becoming more reflective of the review than the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
My favorite bit of "animation," (after the invisible truck that disappeared) was when the girl (do not expect me to remember any names) pulls him on top of her in the infirmary. It's just a 3-step zoom-in on a still frame of her grabbing his arm, followed by a smash cut to him on top of her.

They really meant it when they said they were declaring war on sci-fi series. But I thought carpet bombing on this level was a war crime.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not even watching this masterpiece of... animation? And these reviews are great. Keep at it, and good luck keeping those SAN points at a reasonable level.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
Heh, these Dupree reviews. It's almost like Zac was back.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Can we talk about how Nick managed to sidestep EX ARM to talk about Macross Laughing

Only a master can dodge like that, I'm impressed.

However, no one can hide from the godshattering, thoughtful and reality bending masterpiece that EX ARM is, you can run, but where will it bring you? Back to EX ARM, naturally.

It's our reality pos EX ARM advent, and we should welcome our new anime overlord.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I always wondered, should I watch the original Macross or the Robotech edit?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
Robotech

Go wash your mouth out with soap right now.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
There's no real reason to watch Robotech unless it's something you grew up with. I did, so it's lodged firmly in a back corner of my brain that that's the real version; not hearing the English voices or the redone soundtrack confuses me.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
You know. I always saw Alto Saotome as the complete opposite of Shinji Ikari yet they are still similar. Shinji is a quiet reclutant pilot who always needs a strong motivation to pilot the Evangelion Unit 0-1 and still gets scolded. However, he seeks a bond with his cold father.

Alto, meanwhile, is a teenager with gender insecurities and hates his father but when it comes to fighting he always wants to fly a ship or mecha. However, in the early episodes when requesting to pilot a ship, Alto instead gets punched by his superior for unsuitable behaviour.

Wait, what were we talking about?
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, Robotech was amazing. It was like they took Macbeth, sorry, Macross, and removed all that pointless fan service, the namby-pamby drama, the intensely grating portrayal of Minmay by Iijima Mari, the prescient and yet no less disturbing 'lolicon' Zentradi spies and threw all that bunk out the window, Streamlining it down to the GRITTY, MILITARISTIC core that real anime should be about. I mean, dude, that opening music! So stirring and reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica's iconic theme! I hear that and I'm like baldy from Akira: 'Men, we're going to the Olympics'! So unlike that dolorous 'Mah-koo-Ross' chant or the phoned-in Jpop pap Kanno did for Frontier.

Harmony Gold's vision for anime reimagined for red-blooded young Western males changed my life, and whether you want to admit it or not, it changed yours too. Robotech SAVED Macross.

spoiler[Okay fine, Macross II was decent but only because Kasahara Hiroko and the OP was a banger before most other shows had banger OPs.]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Can we talk about how Nick managed to sidestep EX ARM to talk about Macross Laughing

I was ready to believe him, and came here to kvetch that he should have mentioned the Yoko Kanno soundtrack for Macross Plus, which was basically the reason I checked it out back in my early anime days (it was my introduction to the larger Macross franchise in those pre-DVD days).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Next week: an episode of Ex-ARM *so bad* that God eradicates cancer as a way of maintaining balance in the Universe.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
nick made me sad god damm this show sucks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12