• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the Frontier movies over the TV. It doesn't destroy Ranka's character and everyone wins.

Macross 7 is of a course a gem. Most of it is.

Also Delta is tolerable for the first half and then...does nothing and deflates in the 2nd half.
If the theme of the franchise is how music matters, boiling the Protoculture down to universal mind control lazers is...boring. Where's the passion? Where's the culture? Nevermind, a wind is blowing in space, everyone is mind controled. zzzz

Next week, let's go through Votoms.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Magoo you've done it again!

The only Macross I've seen was Plus back when SyFy aired it many years ago, and I absolutely loved it. I'm a huge fan of pretty much all of the talent behind it, and the animation was jaw-dropping. I feel like to owe it to myself to watch the original series at some point, or at the very least DYRL.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
is this show really that uninteresting to even talk about now? They're not even covering the plot anymore.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I think macross has essentially two faces to it and you can see that in this list. My taste are essentially the polar opposite of Nick. Don't care much for the starting entry (although I might just have watched them too late with some confusion since I also watched some of robotech), I think Plus is one of the best anime ever made, cannot stand 7, though zero was pretty good, am so-so on frontier (really I just watch it for Sheryl and would have absolutely loved it if she was the main character) and I don't even understand how delta was even green lighted.

I think the two side of the franchise should be split down the middle and you could have some sort of Macross: Silliness and Macross: Down to earth show co running.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I prefer the Frontier movies over the TV. It doesn't destroy Ranka's character and everyone wins.
I hope you're joking, but if you actually meant that to be a hot take... fine, I'll bite: the movies ruined Ranka. (And Sheryl too, really.)

TV series Ranka rejected all the racism, nationalism and propaganda that keeps war going, put aside her own grief, and chose to empathize with an "enemy" everyone insisted couldn't be understood, pursuing another solution even when the "only" solution was to fight to the last man. Yes, there are plenty of fans who will call her a "traitor," but god damn if that doesn't make her the single most Macross character Kawamori ever created.

Movie Ranka got a cute concert, I guess, but it only happened because literally her entire original role was shredded for something less "controversial." The few scraps that remained were given to Sheryl, but ultimately, this just meant that Sheryl never had an actual rival to grow alongside, so she got shafted, too.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
If only watching this show could bring us Macross I'd gladly take the hit to my eyes each week
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I also prefer the Frontier anime to the movie; I felt like Sheryl and Ranka really cared about each other in part because we get to see them spend so much more time together, even if Ranka felt like a sort of flat character to me towards the end of the show. I’d happily have Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl walk off into the sunset as an amiable threesome in the series compared to the more melancholy take of the movies, which felt more to me like an original story featuring the same cast than a movie adaptation. I can’t fault their ambition, but they definitely feel like different beasts compared to what we typically see of anime movies.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Can we talk about how Nick managed to sidestep EX ARM to talk about Macross Laughing ...However, no one can hide from the godshattering, thoughtful and reality bending masterpiece that EX ARM is, you can run, but where will it bring you? Back to EX ARM, naturally.It's our reality pos EX ARM advent, and we should welcome our new anime overlord.
Again, well said Lieutenant General! As (self appointed) General in our glorious EX-ARMY, how can our even more glorious Commander In Chief Nick utter the word "Macross" in a sentence containing "Ex-Arm"?? Macross is nothing, just stupid next to it. Macross should kowtow to Ex-Arm for being granted such favor riding on the coat-tails of it's success. Yes, I/we have been watching Ex-Arm very hard and very often, even doing things in private to pay tribute and being very happy while doing so. So Very, Very Happy~~ Was anyone ever inspired by Macross like that? I think not...

Any engineer knows that giant fighting robots and idiotic WWII Submarine-Aircraft Carrier WTFs in space is silly nonsense whereas the Bibot of Ep3 is firmly grounded in forward-looking reality. Can one not see that Alma is even a more forward-looking hope for the attainable future? Forget flying cars, I believe there is an Alma in my future! Razz Did Macross have any of that? What philosophical statement did Macross ever try to make? "Do you remember love"? Oh. please...Thoughtful exploration of the nature of consciousness? Nope. Spacey is as far as it could get...spoiler[BTW, I am kidding except about Macross, I hate that show. But thanks for the rundown all the same Nick...]
Rogural

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
is this show really that uninteresting to even talk about now? They're not even covering the plot anymore.

It's considerably fitting, since neither is the anime really.
Tons of manga plot just cut, for no real reason other than they're going to rush the whole thing through in 12 episodes.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:00 am Reply with quote
Rogural wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Tons of manga plot just cut, for no real reason other than they're going to rush the whole thing through in 12 episodes.

can a TV anime production ever be canceled midway? Like in this specific instance, it's worth asking because I don't think I've seen a show more warranting of it than this
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
can a TV anime production ever be canceled midway? Like in this specific instance, it's worth asking because I don't think I've seen a show more warranting of it than this

Offhand, I can recall Gundam X and Southern Cross having their episode orders cut and being forced to wrap up early due to poor viewership. The latter is interesting in light of Nick's incredible and literally unbelievable news about Macross. You see, there were some mecha designs for Southern Cross that never got used due to its premature conclusion, so they got repurposed for use in Robotech II: The Sentinels… which then also got cancelled after just three episodes when its Western source of funding dried up.

And of course, we'd all be better off with a thousand more episodes of Gundam X, Southern Cross, or even Robotech II than having to endure another episode of EX-ARM.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
Rogural wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

... neither is the anime really.
Assuming the insert artwork is like the manga, I will definitely check out the manga. Just to see what I/we are missing...
boldulysses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And then they burned down the Harmony Gold offices for good measure.

This joke is in poor taste considering the KyoAni arson.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Rogural wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if view numbers were pretty good, no such things as bad publicity and all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
Picture time!

Was she putting on her lipstick when the platform bomb went off or what?

I haven't seen such an anatomically deformed rack since K. Who's the android again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12