• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemono Jihen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I really hope a season 2 is announced at some point in the future. Obviously not immediately to let the manga continue a bit more (the anime adapted the first 21 chapters and there's 52 out right now) but the rest of the manga is absolutely worth it. Hopefully the DVD/BD sales end up doing well so that we can get a second season.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
They've announced a series of special marathon livestreams for April 5th and 6th (source). I want to believe that's a good sign that either the BDs/merch are selling gangbusters or the manga got the sales bump it was supposed to, and desperately hope that there may be a special announcement after. And there is a lot of merch. If only this was a year with anime conventions.

If I hadn't made it abundantly clear, I have so many feelings about this series. Sure, it maybe ended up on the short list of "masterpieces I can't recommend to anybody," but that only means it's up there with Made in Abyss. I would probably even pay Aniplex prices for a BD set, though presently I'm waiting for the XL Tanuki!Inugami plush and the Monster/S coffee mug to go on sale.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed in no second season announcement. Also disappointed Viz has not picked this one up yet
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Just binged and finished up this series. Really great stuff here and I hope there's more to come.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
I watched the final episode and I’m just squeeing with joy. These kids are so damn adorable and lovable! They face tough times together and work through them with mutual support, respect and care. What could be cuter than Akira and Kabane dancing around the hallway of the clinic because they’ve made up? Or Shiki and Akira high fiving Kabane and saying “yay” on learning more clues about Kabane’s parents? Or Akira’s “We all get along; All You Need Is Love” Instagram post? These kids are the cutest! 10/10 I’d watch multiple seasons! I hope we get another one soon!

wolf10 wrote:
Oh, and I wasn't saying you're wrong either, just trying to point out that, by and large, the series seems more concerned with the specific issues faced by adolescent males, rather than using males to explore the female condition really at all. (Which generally perpetuates the myth that boys don't have unique problems of their own.) It's not disrespectful, it just has other priorities. But digging into all that is just part of the fun of works that get this dense. Laughing

On a more basic level, I think the author was just trying to test his thesis against the worst possible strawman argument in favor of child exploitation.

Aimoto: "Child exploitation is wrong. Children have a right to childhood."

Strawman: "But what if that exploitation leads to more children? Wouldn't those children matter more than the happiness one individual child?"

Aimoto: *casually exterminates an entire village* "Did I stutter?"

It's a pretty hardcore stance, but I'm here for it. And that's without even going into everything this past episode had to say about xenophobia and "racial purity."

I agree that Sho Aimoto’s focus is on teenage boys and deconstructing toxic masculinity. Sho Aimoto is a woman (source: the French version’s About the Author bio), so the fact that messages and pressures around reproduction can be awful for anyone of any gender is very much intentional. Just look at Shiki’s mom.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I watched the final episode and I’m just squeeing with joy. These kids are so damn adorable and lovable! They face tough times together and work through them with mutual support, respect and care. What could be cuter than Akira and Kabane dancing around the hallway of the clinic because they’ve made up? Or Shiki and Akira high fiving Kabane and saying “yay” on learning more clues about Kabane’s parents? Or Akira’s “We all get along; All You Need Is Love” Instagram post? These kids are the cutest! 10/10 I’d watch multiple seasons! I hope we get another one soon!
(...)
I agree that Sho Aimoto’s focus is on teenage boys and deconstructing toxic masculinity. Sho Aimoto is a woman (source: the French version’s About the Author bio), so the fact that messages and pressures around reproduction can be awful for anyone of any gender is very much intentional. Just look at Shiki’s mom.

Aimoto-sensei is a woman according to Japanese Wikipedia, too.

Kemono jihen has been a welcomed surprised of this season. The characters' struggles to fit in a world strange to them (human, but also adulthood). Kids' characters as kids, not furious teenagers. Or even the relation between Kabane and Kon... as someone would say... it's adorable.

I'd like to hear about a second season, too, but I don't think we will have one. But at least licesing the manga? Or MangaPlus, even!
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
I fell into the masculine penname trap. What a rookie mistake. I had been to her Wikipedia page, but skipped right over the opening line that says "female manga-ka" (literally the only mention of gender) because it didn't have the information I was looking for at the time.

Honestly just leaves me even more impressed, though.

Looking back on this post after coffee I realize that sounds low-key terrible, but it's not so much that I didn't think a woman could write this, as I didn't think a woman would want to. It's one thing to bust out "women aren't baby factories," in a male-targeted magazine, and quite another to follow that up with, "but I know you guys have it hard, too." Really all I'm getting at is that empathy is beautiful the world needs more of it. Crying or Very sad
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
I loved this show! They're good kids going on sometimes horrifying and violent adventures! I'm gonna put the manga on my to-buy list and hope for a season 2
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8