• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzcity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:
It finally happened! And we finally got to see some of the major powers notice what's happening. Man, they did a great job animating and voicing everyone (though I wasn't expecting chibi Kirishika). And Arumanfi's teleportation skills were accompanied by a very interesting sound effect - sounds almost science-fictiony, like he was warping into hyperspace or something. Impressive.

I'm also glad at how well they explained the complicated Greyrat family politics and Sauros and Hilda's reactions. They probably went a little overboard with the bed scene, to be honest, but Rudeus' reflections were well-done. I also liked how they showed Sylphy and Rudeus' family before the incident. That was an excellent bit of world-building and foreshadowing they included there, with Rudeus' mother and Norn. Looking forward to episode 9!
helln00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Idk it feels to me more like a detective conan situation, his body maybe different but for all intents and purposes he is still whoever that died in that accident

yet in a later novel he specifically says that he is not that guy anymore, even refusing to say his old name and says that he is rudeus greyrat.

Sure later, and he might be different by that point, but now its like hearing a person saying that they are no longer an alcoholic while downing a bottle of vodka. And the fact that he remembers his old names means that for the most part he is who he was, he just doesnt like it, which is atleast something tbh.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I just want to add this segment of the novel,

A bit annoyed that they added a fantasy scene that ended up happening anyway and instead cut off this monologue.
spoiler[
Sweeping my eyes around, I see the wand in the corner of the room.

"…………!"

That's right.

I have completely forgotten about Eris's feelings.

Even though it's Philip and Sauros who came up with the money, the person who wanted to give me the wand is probably Eris.

Planning a party to make me happy, concerned about the dialogue that we had, even coming to console me before I went to bed.

She has done everything for me today, but I am swallowed up by my own desires, intending to ravage her.

Having my way with a child whose head is filled with me.

Just think about the happy expressions that she had when she's talking to the maids.

The things that I'm doing are designed to trample on that.

"………… Haha."

I'm the worst.

I don't have any right to tell Paul off.

I don't have any right to teach anyone anything.

Trash that enters a different world is still trash.

I'll pack my things up tomorrow and leave. I should die like a trash halfway on the way back.

"Ah………!"

When I become aware of it, Eris is standing at the room's door.

She's showing half her face. I quickly stand up in a hurry, up strai………

……… No, I'll lie my whole body on the floor!

"I, I'm really sorry about that earlier."

I lie on the floor like a turtle.]

That woudl ahve made some viewers feel bad, and I think it's great , my favorite moment in mushoten is that particular arc that made me vomit; and my second favorite is a super happy sex scene, I hope they cut neither.

I will wait until tomorrow to talk more about the episode proper; I will just say that IIRC, they added more explanation what was going on, mostly the world powers commenting on the disturbance, I guess to make the wait for the next episode more tolerable; Overall, I am suepr happy on the execution of turning point, someone pointed out that it is night for roxy and early morning for kishirika because of the time zone differencies. After 7 episodes of introducing the characters, the plot will finalyl start, because god forbid if you thought mushoten was a slice of life isekai or something similar to bookworm.

TheWa_rudo wrote:
Going into the argument of his mental age. From my point of view it's better to think the either he's stuck at his original age; stuck at his original age and gradually synchronizing with his body age and becoming a mix of the 2; or the previous option but with him fully adjusting himself to his biological age which is what I believe it is happening seeing his changes from right after his reincarnation to the point he is now, spoiler[and it's supported by the happenings of the novel.]
;
To keep counting his mental age normally from the point he died makes no sense, because think about it, if a kid died at 12 years old, and lived again to 12 years old, I don't think anybody would think of him as a 24years old adult.
And with Rudeus, there is the fact that he is/was a literal manchild.
He stoped having contact with the real world when he was still a child, he spent over half of his like isolated, and his mental development got stumped with it. I'll not say that he still has the mind of the kid he was when closed himself, but he definetely doesn't have the full mind of an adult.
If at some point he decided to go into the real world in his previous life, he would probably need heavy therapy to help him adjust and be an adult, precisely because he didn't get the chance to go through that the natural way.

So the best answer for Rudeus real mental age would be "its complicated." He's definetely not a child, but he's also definetely nor an adult. It's a weird mix of the 2, plus the influence his current brain is having on him.

Yeah, I mean, 20 years old catarina gets a free pass when lustin for 5 year old kids, and even get encouragemetn when she is in her mid 30s lusting for teeenagers.
And then we have loopers.

I mean, I think it's a good discussion to ahve when teh waters are calm, I had one chat about this where the other person was thinking that mental age is based on experiences mainly, so teh magical girl who is stuck in junior high for 12 years is still mostly a middle schooler even if she is mentally 26 years old, word of god says that she has not even sexualized love.

helln00 wrote:

Sure later, and he might be different by that point, but now its like hearing a person saying that they are no longer an alcoholic while downing a bottle of vodka. And the fact that he remembers his old names means that for the most part he is who he was, he just doesnt like it, which is atleast something tbh.

point taken, agreed.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
Generally happy with episode 8. The fight at the end did a decent job of making characters who move faster than the eye can see look interesting.

I do miss some of Rudeus's self-reflective inner monologue from after spoiler[the scene with Eris], but I emphatically do not miss his equally long inner monologue spoiler[after she comes back and talks to him again]. Some people seem to be suggesting that what he did physically was exaggerated, but iirc that was 100% accurate to the Japanese LN.

The statues of Dizzy and Jam from Guilty Gear in Rudy's room are a neat Easter egg. (If you missed them, you can see them both clearly in the bottom left when Eris is standing in the doorway, after Rudeus bows out of frame.) Dizzy's isn't wearing the new top from her Xrd design, so I'm guessing Rudeus's death on Earth is still contemporary with when the novels started.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:30 am Reply with quote
@maximilianjenus I assume that is from the webnovel, as this is the Seven Seas translation;

spoiler[“Ah!” The staff standing in the corner of the room caught my eye.
I couldn’t forget Eris’s feelings either. The money may have come from Philip and Sauros, but she was the one who planned the party for me and came up with the idea of giving me that staff. She was the one who worried over our conversation at the party and came here to comfort me tonight before I fell asleep. She thought about me all day long today.
Yet a moment ago, I’d been about to violate her out of lust. There was a girl who genuinely considered my feelings as a person, and I tried to have my way with her.
Remember how happy she looked when she was talking with that maid before? You just tried to trample all over that.
]

Only a snippet as it would be too long to quote otherwise.

They're pretty similar here, but do remember the webnovel does differ from the light novel in some areas...
helln00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@maximilianjenus I assume that is from the webnovel, as this is the Seven Seas translation;

I couldn’t forget Eris’s feelings either. The money may have come from Philip and Sauros, but she was the one who planned the party for me and came up with the idea of giving me that staff. She was the one who worried over our conversation at the party and came here to comfort me tonight before I fell asleep. She thought about me all day long today.
Yet a moment ago, I’d been about to violate her out of lust. There was a girl who genuinely considered my feelings as a person, and I tried to have my way with her.
Remember how happy she looked when she was talking with that maid before? You just tried to trample all over that.
]

They're pretty similar here, but do remember the webnovel does differ from the light novel in some areas...

Reading these snippets and @maximilianjenus 's snippet somehow makes me feel like they made him even worse then he already was in this episode. Like atleast from there Rudeus feels more self-aware then he was here, where that self-reflection is wrapped in a sigh. I could say show not tell, but considering the emotions( and also his actions) and the self reflection in there the anime feels cheap.

As for the ep, it does continue the trend for me so far of good surrounding story and a constant "why does this need to be here" in my head cause that I never expect to see an actual crotch grab of a 12 year old. I guess it shows for me what the target audience is when you have try to have a sexy scene with a 12 year old involved and also try to be comedic with Rudeus's quick cartoonish undressing and the playful music somehow.

Not the mention how uncomfortable he was about getting having sex when he gets to 15 in the voice of a 30 year old man. I really think that they made a mistaking in having his inner voice like this cause its really jarring and it makes it tripply creepy.

Edit: also I can't help but feel like his inner monologue combined with his pretend emotions at the event makes it feel really sociopathic, which like its not even that it makes him a bad person, but like hard to in anyway want to hear more about.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

]

Right, as you yourself said in the thread about Seven Sea’s changes, this translation is a bowdlerized version of Rudy, so it really isn’t helpful in trying to defend his actions. We can safely assume the worst is more correct, which continues to add to a severe lack of any kind of change let alone redemption.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Right, as you yourself said in the thread about Seven Sea’s changes, this translation is a bowdlerized version of Rudy, so it really isn’t helpful in trying to defend his actions. We can safely assume the worst is more correct, which continues to add to a severe lack of any kind of change let alone redemption.

I don't think this particular section was bowdlerized, at least not noticeably, otherwise those who've read the Japanese edition would have already mentioned something to that effect on the mal and reddit threads as they did in the previous instance.

But you're right, Seven Seas should hurry to put out a revised, unedited, version of the volume(s) affected already, this is such good work that it deserves respect instead of being mangled...
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The snippet of the Seven Seas translation of Rudeus's inner monologue posted here seems pretty accurate to the Japanese LN. I don't know if they kept all of his monologue after his "promise" with Eris, though. It's not as long as I remembered it being, but it feels like he loses a lot of his contriteness immediately, even if he remains committed to not getting physical for five years. (spoiler[I don't like the way he compares this to waiting for wine to age, and I'm really not a fan of the sentence "Yes Lolita, no touch" [イエス ロリータ、 ノータッチ] as a concluding statement.])

I'd be interested to know if Seven Seas kept the scene that immediately follows that one in the LN, where spoiler[Rudeus wakes up to find he's had his first wet dream]. It's a short comedy bit, but I'm also kind of relieved it wasn't in the anime. (There's nothing actually wrong with it, but it definitely undercuts the serious side of the scenes leading up to it.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this show includes a time jump to when Rudy is an adult (no spoilers please, I'm prepared to see for myself if this happens). I'm so effing sick of this "tee hee, kiddy smut" thing I can't even tell you.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I'd be interested to know if Seven Seas kept the scene that immediately follows that one in the LN, where spoiler[Rudeus wakes up to find he's had his first wet dream]. It's a short comedy bit, but I'm also kind of relieved it wasn't in the anime. (There's nothing actually wrong with it, but it definitely undercuts the serious side of the scenes leading up to it.)

Actually, they did, from the Seven Seas translation;

spoiler[The next morning, I woke up to crusty underwear. Apparently, I had accidentally released the A button. Oh well, I would just have to start again tomorrow.]

Not spoiler['wet dream'], but the meaning comes across the same...
Fakerman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
How many episodes are left?
Please do not end on a cliffhanger. Sad
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Fakerman wrote:

4 more this cour, then another 12 in July, iirc. I don't think these 12 will end on a huge cliffhanger, but they also won't get you to a real conclusion.
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Fakerman wrote:

2 cours, so 24 episodes I guess. But I heard half of those gonna be aired in July or so. So 4 left and then a 3 months break?

I don't remember when is the next turning point but I believe they will make a satisfy ending for both half.
spoiler[One ending will probably be around the start and the other at the end of a long ass journey. ]

But if second season is made, be prepare for a shitton of cliffhangers lol.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
According to MAL, there are 11 episodes this season, so 3 episodes left. Then 12 episodes in the summer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 31