• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I just now realised the foreshadowing. do you remember way back then when Roxy was giving Rudy his final exam, how the lighting hit the horse? Rudy was probably aiming for that, to have the horse guy die because of getting hit by a lighting while making it look like an accident/coincidence, disregarding if the city got severely damaged by the flooding. he might have aced the magic test back then but now we see he failed the morality test miserably, Roxy had gone out of her way to not harm anyone or their property and saw the horse getting hurt as a tragedy. either way this scene perfectly displays how immature Rudy is and how much he has to learn. on his past life he stayed a shut in so he never learnt how to deal with thugs and abusers and was about to murder a guy that had only threatened them with words (plus if they did end up loosing their license it would actually would have been fair since they were in fact violating the rules) just because it would have been more confortable to stay an adventurer, he felt he could lecture Rujierd about the value of life but at least when the later killed, the other guy had thrown a hit first, meanwhile he still treats random people as NPCs. not to mention the irony that the horse guy shaking them down was not very different to what they had been doing with the other adventurer group. I love how the lesson was rubbed on Rudy's face by having Rujierd, who could have easily murdered the whole city, and had previously explicitly claimed to be willing to do, solved the ordeal by just by outfacing the thug and skipping town
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty impressed with the anime's decision to end the cour on a high note at 11 episodes instead of either dragging out the events in Rikaris or starting book 4 and ending something that's basically just setup. I feel like a lot of shows would have shot for that standard number regardless.
That spider monster in the forest looked creepy as hell and way more impressive than the spoiler[undead] in the book that it replaces. I also think that having Rudeus just stand there shocked while Eris and Ruijerd take out both monsters is an improvement over the book, where spoiler[one of the monsters charges at him and he's flustered but manages to take it down]. I've generally been enjoying the anime a lot more than I did the books for the sections it covers (which admittedly isn't saying a lot).
Quote:
Novel readers will have to comment on whether these scenes are glossing over anything important,

Not really. You miss a bit of character development for the two pet-nappers, some details of jobs in and around the city, and a bit of shopping, but I don't think the anime loses anything by not showing us that skinning an RPG quest's worth of wolf monsters is hard work. I think they also buy the new clothes you see in the ending montage somewhere in there.
You lose even less from the second montage, because it was already basically a montage in the book. You mostly just get an explanation of the routine they settled into between that first city and the port. There are a few scenes, like spoiler[Rudeus wondering how to improve against melee fighters who can dodge his attacks], or spoiler[a guy who wants to duel Ruijerd], but nothing especially memorable. The montages definitely serve the anime better than a bunch of low-key scenes around the end of the cour would have.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
And thus it ends how it started, with Rudy being creepy.

In all seriousness, I enjoyed this episode. Rudy's plans have been escalating all season with success dwindling with each new one and it all came to ahead with a result he can't take back. Rudy generally seems to have trouble acknowledging that sometimes he doesn't know what he's doing and going from 0-100 when under pressure, the flooding of the entire town would have been just another one of his mistakes. Good thing Ruijerd stopped him.

I've thought this since his debut but Rujierd is without a doubt my favourite character and I think I'll be rather sad when he inevitably leaves the kids after fulfilling his promise to them. He's got a questionable moral code, but he's genuine and a wonderful dad type figure. In the absence of absolute morons I tend to grow fond of caring older figure types ad far as guys go lol.

I'm devastated about his hair though, especially after that lovely cut of him washing the dye off. With the head band it's a bit better but I'm still upset!!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ruijerd starts to rank well in fan polls, despite him only being around for three episodes so far. He is one of the more appealing father figure-type characters to come along in quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BananaNutella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Great Review!

Solid finish for the 1st cour. Seeing these scenes animated was a treat, especially their quest in the forest, seeing Rudeus feeling backed in a corner by Nokopara, and Rudy's talk with Ruijerd towards the end.

I hope they keep up the momentum they have once cour 2 starts.

Looking forward to seeing how they adapt the next few volumes!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
i think the most important bit they have skipped , besides some lore dumping ia that rudeus keeps on sword sparing with eris, which kind of ruins a later minor scene for the next coeur, but overall 90% or more of the skipped stuff is good.

glad to see that the body language was enough to show how bad rudy felt about the kid who dies because of his fault

Key wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ruijerd starts to rank well in fan polls, despite him only being around for three episodes so far. He is one of the more appealing father figure-type characters to come along in quite a while.

yeah,, rudy needed a good father figure. and because riujerd is a 500 years old person the thing about him being older than his father does not appy here and he can more freely show off his weaknesses.

i am very happy with how this studio adapted the word, the low hanging fruit was how back in 2019 i thought that everything we saw in the trailer would be put in a single coeur ( for example turning point 1 would have happened in episode 03) and one coeur later we are halfway thru that. as a reminder we just finished novel 3 out of 24.

the wolf pack scene was a particularly pretty for me, by how low key yet appropiate it was.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely amazing for a show that started out so shittly to turn out to be one of the best in the winter season!?!?!?!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
some thoughts regarding the roxy bit.

tagged as spoilers just in case but this is skipped material.

spoiler[
first, the scale of the world. at this point a map should have been shown, the world is the same size as earth. take our normal earth map and center it in japan, thats a good approximate of the mushoten world. so to the right is the demon continent and to the left is the central continent, people interested in geology can google proxima pangea , that continental drift has a small pacific, a huge atlantic and africa and australia fused to eurasia, so it now looks a lot like the mushoten world.

when the calamity happens, she travels to rudeus town, because she is in the same continent she gets there relatively fast probably at around the same time rudeus gets to her hometown. its like traveling from rusia to france, there are proper ways to rravel abd roxy is a seasoned adventurer, so she can do it fast.

in contrast rudy and eris wake up in las vegas and have to travel to newyork, as we can see, the continent is very desertic, in the travel they do minor random missions and fights.

so, roxy , now with pauls old team, you can take a look at the silhouettes ina previous episode, travels from france to rusia again, then crosses the mountain range that separates rusia and so she also travel thru part of india and most of australia to take a ship to southamerica, crosses south america ( the milis kingdom where paul is ) and as seen in the last scene takes a ship from there to the south port of the demon continent / yucatan. again ,she being a seasoned adventurer and there being roads and stuff as they are mor developed continents explains the relatively fast speed she travels those long distances, it takes her close to a year and a half.

in the meanwhile it takes around the same year and a half to rudy and his party to travel just from newyork to yucatan. that is because they have to take random jobs along the way until they gain more funds, the baggage they have is a hint of that. the roads are less developed kind of like roxy can travel by carriage and rudy has to travel by donkey. so when they get to yucatan is around the same time roxy does as shown i. the last episode.

the most important thing to take from this is the scale of the world and how long has the adventure taken.

a side note regarding rudys unsavory behaviour, that, iirc is that at this point of time eris has a similar but more subdued behaviour regarding rudy, i wonder if they'll have some of those scenes in the next episodes , as rudys reaction is mostly brushing that off. it plays with the theme of their bodies ( i mean hormonally and culturally) are now teenagers, not children. while i dislike the father figure grooms his foster daughter, i realized now that because of eris having granpa and later riujerd as father figures and rudy being younger than her ( for her, its a nice theme in her theme song) she never sees rudy as a father figure.

the later deal reminds me of another isekai whose name i dont remember where the mc a well adjusted adult in his 40s, reincarnates as a child too, then when her body has sexual urges ( puberty ) she decides to remain a virgin for the rwt of her life, as having a partner of her same physical age makes her feel like a pedophile, while having a partner of her same mental age makes her feel like she is enabling a pedophile, so she is stuck.

]
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the First anime i ever Watched that Never had opening in the show

Anyways so far i enjoy this series few hic ups but nonetheless i quite enjoy it

Not sure about the light novels but as manga reader i'm disappointed they never showed the part where rudeus Broke Down Crying over his actions After Ruijerd Left.. to me it was a moment of clarity for him..

Look forward to part 2
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These are some hard lessons for Rudeus about trying to do too much, but they are lessons he had to learn eventually. His conversation with Ruijerd afterwards, paired with Ruijerd's conversation with the young adventurer in the woods, firm up what it means to be a warrior in this setting (at least to Ruijerd, anyway) and demonstrate just how much of a true father figure Ruijerd is becoming for Rudeus. The scene showing them talking against the background of stars is, in fact, the first time I felt a real emotional tug from the series. The later scene with Ruijerd cutting off the hair which identifies him as a Superd also carries symbolic meaning, as it shows Ruijerd taking a step forward as well. The only minor disappointment here is that Eris seems static through all of this, so hopefully the second half will show some development with her.

Nailed it for me. This time I felt like I sense actual change in Rudy that wasn't just the narrative voice telling us so.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
I think this is the First anime i ever Watched that Never had opening in the show

Anyways so far i enjoy this series few hic ups but nonetheless i quite enjoy it

Not sure about the light novels but as manga reader i'm disappointed they never showed the part where rudeus Broke Down Crying over his actions After Ruijerd Left.. to me it was a moment of clarity for him..

Look forward to part 2

Light novel readers have mentioned that that's entirely a manga original decision
helln00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
I cant help but feel like this series is going to be somewhat like SAO, being like the first work of an author starting from their more rookie moments and going all the way to the end when they are better and its just going to be like a vast difference by the end but many people will be driven off by the beginning.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
to me, this sounds more like when they cry.
ryikishi also said that he spent years trying to become a professional novelist, but the editors would always reject him, based mostly on technical reason for his writing.. too lany verbs, not enough adjectives, etc... until they became, in ryukishis case, self published, in magonotes case, publishing in narou.i dont know if thats the case for the sao author.
James S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched the last episode. It was absolutely wonderful though I'm a bit miffed they cut the scene where Rudeus breaks down and cries in the middle of the city as a result of all the stress that had been building up until that day when everything goes wrong and they have to leave Rikaris. They still managed to get in some of the self reflection he does so I'm still rather satisfied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31