• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I’m tempted to drop this series too. The jokes are getting repetitive and the plot is moving at a snail’s pace.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I appreciated the reversal in the baths with the male character standing up and accidently exposing himself as opposed to the usual. Also that it didn't end up being a big deal that everyone was together.
Nice use of the belt too lol

Edit: Forgot to mention, I thought the costume bit failed to land this time. I just thought it made the MC look like he had a few too many cards short of a deck.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I appreciated the reversal in the baths with the male character standing up and accidently exposing himself as opposed to the usual. Also that it didn't end up being a big deal that everyone was together.
Nice use of the belt too lol

Edit: Forgot to mention, I thought the costume bit failed to land this time. I just thought it made the MC look like he had a few too many cards short of a deck.

I loved the fact every woman had a different reaction to Lloyd's mushroom with the prize going to Mena for conveying "I'm not interested in him but I know quality when I see it" with a single leer. Oh and bonus points for no one pulling the eyes covered with one eye peeping maneuver.

Oh right, none of the women have that personality type to begin with.

I didn't have a problem with Lloyd's nonacceptance that someone allowed a treant to possess them and make them into a monster. See, what Lloyd's considers to be a Monster or rather a Monster would more like if the group had to fight Godzilla or Cthulu. A giant walking tree, like the giant insects and the bugman from earlier, just didn't register to him as a threat.

This story massively redeemed Selen in my eyes, especially after she protected her father blindly even after chewing him out for immediately putting her "on market" once her curse was lightened. As always, I'm a sucker for sincere heroics, even for bits that are stolen from Spider-man.

Another great moment: Phyllo throwing Alka so hard she made it through several trees.... and Phyllo did it just because she was the handiest thing to throw at the hot spring.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
Somehow it doesn't help matters that the predatory lesbian shares her name (Micona Zol) with an antifungal used for treating yeast infections (you might know it as Miconazole or Monostat).
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
It was a bit odd that we got the usual trope-y overreaction to the walk in considering everyone was just bathing together two eps ago, but it was still amusing, so I guess this will just be a case of humor over logic.

I thought the power gags worked a little bit better with the change of scenery and characters then they had been. Though I'll admit it is wearing a bit thin
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The books are so much better than the anime. And the books are only a B/B- IMO in the first place, so that's saying something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
I ended up unclear on whether Riho relented and let Eug "fix" her arm or not, but I didn't care enough to back up to compare. Smile I figure if she did, we'll find out next week.

Best part was how Lloyd found Alka, in the very same hole he once fell down (though it had a metal cover on it then and now), and not finding the huge boulder on top of it suspicious, or indicative that she couldn't have accidentally fallen in. There's innocently naive, and then there's Lloyd.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I know Im pretty damn late to this, but the reason Episode 9 feels so one off is cause the show literally skipped the entire first half of Volume 4, which has Micona and her crew of 2nd years compete with lloyd and crew in sorta a mini competition. The entire half of a Volume builds up to her meeting those shady individuals and turning herself into a monster. When I watched the episode on its own, I was totally lost of what was going on.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
The books are so much better than the anime. And the books are only a B/B- IMO in the first place, so that's saying something.

According to the LN's official English translator via Reddit, the anime covered the 1st 5 LNs (available in English), and " a lot of great stuff...got cut for time", which amounted to "hefty chunks of plot and characterization...and a lot of great jokes."

https://yenpress.com/9781975313319/s...5-light-novel/

The Japanese side released LN Vol 12 roughly a week ago as of this post, so there should be enough content for a theoretical S2.
https://ga.sbcr.jp/product/9784815609603/
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
In the end I thought this was ok. I appreciate the non-standard motivations for 2 of the 3 antagonists at the end, but it wasn't enough to elevate the show for me. It wasn't bad, but just a bit disappointing that it wasn't as good as I was hoping it to be.
jeckersly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Holy [expletive] shit this show was bad.

In a normal season this would probably just be standard bad.

But compared to this season, which is clearly one of the strongest in YEARS, this show stands out as hot garbage.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
I liked it. This has been a pretty lackluster season for me as the pickings for comedies were rather sllght. Did it fully work for me? No.

Would a more complete adaptation have helped? Probably not and the problem is the source material. What's presented as the series is a complete structured story that had to be hacked out of five novels and you don't have to be Charles Dickens to recognize that is odd for a serial story. Another rewrite to jettison some more spurious settings and plots would have helped but that would just cause more people to complain about things removed, ignoring how poorly structured the series itself must be.

I'm not going to read the original books but is it true that it's the fifth book where Lloyd finally realizes his "hero's journey"? That would be like Luke Skywalker thinking "Hey, these are some bad guys and I should do something!" around Return of the Jedi rather than his first movie.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
A mediocre show that I didn't hate but also won't remember in about three days. I did appreciate it being a throwback to the old school hyper slapstick anime comedies like Dragon Half, but it also reminded me why that brand of comedy died out; listening to people scream and fight non-stop gets pretty old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2