• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

The answer to that is, as someone else said: yes. Like I pointed out earlier: when you're a soldier -- I.E. a part of the lowest rung of a fighting force -- you are expected to follow orders regardless of what you might feel about them personally. It's not really difficult to find nazi ideology reprehensible given that it was built on a core "value" of major racism, but the soldiers themselves were merely tools to be used to fight, and you can't really know for sure how much each of them knew about what was really going on until they were all knee-deep into it. It also bears mentioning that part of the reason the Nazi group had such an easy time recruiting people to their cause were the rather severe situation of powerty Germany found themselves in after World War 1 -- whom Germany had "better cause" to enter, as far as one can say such a thing about a decision to go into war -- when the victor nations saw fit to basically crush them into nearly oblivion with reparations and whatnot.

That's easy to say, but there is very little sympathy for soldiers who guarded camps.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

True, but usually the tragic figures either don't sacrifice villains, but like, whole cities full of innocent people, or like Monte Christo or Kill Bill's Bride have revenge without regaining what's lost. If gang of ten criminals killed someone's loved one and the grieving protagonist got an offer "kill all ten of them and your loved one will be resurrected", most people hearing such story would be either "I'd do the same" or "I wouldn't do that, but I can't really condemn that guy". This is the same, but scaled up.
I proposed it once, but imagine similar but time-reversed situation: Large enemy army boarded ships to rape and murder defenseless port, but you can attack them while they're on the sea, maybe with krakens or storms or something. If you know you won't be able to stop them after your one attack, and even tenth of the army could easily overpower and destroy the population of port, would it really be immoral to try to slaughter all enemies, even if they beg for mercy on their ships?

That's just the framing the series uses to make the act seem better. And the choice about how it chooses to frame all this is telling. After all, why not have Rimuru find some contrived approach to harvest souls without killing the soldiers to meet the requirements of demon lord (which were also arbitrarily decided by the series)? Or have him "technically" kill them with out actually killing them like what he did with Myulan? I think a lot of people were expecting this. Nope, just straight up drone strikes them with zero resistance. Technically at war + bad people in the laziest writing sense + chance to resurrect dead friends and get power level boost = good enough reason to kill tens of thousands with no quarter I guess. Long term consequences? Eh, it'll work out. Once again, they're certainly reasons to do so but you can't claim to be a good slime after all this.

Your example doesn't hit the mark here. Tempest is perfect capable of defending itself. And it would still be wrong to kill them after they beg for mercy. You might have "valid" reasons for doing so but it is still wrong. Your line of thinking is the seed that so many war atrocities are derived from. The constant need to keep inflating the risk and danger of your opponents to justify increasingly awful deeds done against them. "They'll never listen to reason. Any attempts at surrender are attempts to fool you and lower your guard" "Civilians are what enable the war machine to keep going so in a way, civilians are also combatants" "You've heard about the awful things their soldiers do to us (via the state-controlled propaganda machine). It is only right we make them suffer the same" "If they invade (even if they have no feasible way to do so), our men will be killed, women raped and children stolen. We must annihilate them (blind eyes will be turned on any enemy men, women and children you choose to kill, rape or steal).
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
That's easy to say, but there is very little sympathy for soldiers who guarded camps.

Well... no, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that's kind of missing the point.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Well... no, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that's kind of missing the point.

At the end of the day, 20k soldiers came with the intentions to ransack the Tempest nation and leave no one alive. Tempest at the time had over 200k civilians. Following orders doesn't cut it when it comes to committing a genocide.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
His friends should be thankful that becoming a demon lord in this world doesn’t involve behelits.

Oh my God.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Northlander wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

At the end of the day, 20k soldiers came with the intentions to ransack the Tempest nation and leave no one alive. Tempest at the time had over 200k civilians. Following orders doesn't cut it when it comes to committing a genocide.

But it is not missing the point.

The soldiers of Falmuth and the Church, cannot be divorced from their planned actions, which is genocide and the razing of the city. They don't get a bye, because they were made to fail that task by Rimuru. Remember too, that the 'moral' authority of the land, is the Church, which so happens to be the prime mover for genocide. Monsters (by definition of this world) are evil by virtue of existing, not by actions and irregardless of intelligence. That doesn't sound very enlightening or woke by modern standards. Lets take the character of Hinata. She knows she has murdered plenty of innocent people for the Church. This is the world that Rimuru lives in. Yet we are bound and determined to hold Rimuru accountable to a modern standard that doesn't exist in Rimuru's world, while handwaving what the Kingdom of Falmuth is going to do.

People are not required to like his actions or approve of them. But I think calling Rimuru evil is a bridge too far, considering the world he is living in.

I have been rereading the light novels, to get a better understanding of Rimuru's mindset. When I read the light novels originally, I didn't remember having any problems with Rimuru. But I am glad to have reread them, because I had forgotten Hinata's backstory or that she is more of an assassin for the Church than a supposed hero.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I just think it's bad writing that the series had to go to the extreme of portraying Falmuth and the church as irredeemably evil just so it could have Rimuru brutally slaughter all of them without any of the weight that would normally accompany such an act.

Maybe I expect too much from this kind of show but I'd be lying if the way they handled the whole thing didn't kill some of my enjoyment for the series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Honestly, I just think it's bad writing that the series had to go to the extreme of portraying Falmuth and the church as irredeemably evil just so it could have Rimuru brutally slaughter all of them without any of the weight that would normally accompany such an act

There are plenty of similar examples in today's world, that such portrayals would be realistic.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Honestly, I just think it's bad writing that the series had to go to the extreme of portraying Falmuth and the church as irredeemably evil just so it could have Rimuru brutally slaughter all of them without any of the weight that would normally accompany such an act

There are plenty of similar examples in today's world, that such portrayals would be realistic.

That's a pretty poor excuse, whether or not it's realistic isn't the point. Bad writing is still bad writing.

You can't take what would normally be a complex problem (killing 10,000 people to obtain more power and restore the dead) then serve up the perfect solution on a silver platter.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

You can't take what would normally be a complex problem (killing 10,000 people to obtain more power and restore the dead) then serve up the perfect solution on a silver platter.

For our world, restoring the dead is impossible (or a complex problem for the future to fix), but the other part is relatively easy as history has show.

Rimuru's world has magic, demon lords, and catastrophic level monsters. So killing anyone or everyone and bringing back the dead is not that complex.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Rimuru's world has magic, demon lords, and catastrophic level monsters. So killing anyone or everyone and bringing back the dead is not that complex.

What are you talking about... they went over how normally bringing back the dead isn't something that could be done and it was only through a specific set of circumstances that allowed it to be possible.

Even then I'm not really talking about the act of bringing back the dead as much of the cost of human life that would normally require a certain amount of thought before a character like Rimuru would go through with it that they wound up completely bypassing with the evil army that allowed for guilt-free killing.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Out've curiosity, Tars, what would be an example of something Slime could do that you would agree is an example of poor writing?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Even then I'm not really talking about the act of bringing back the dead as much of the cost of human life that would normally require a certain amount of thought before a character like Rimuru would go through with it that they wound up completely bypassing with the evil army that allowed for guilt-free killing.

We have different mindsets, when it comes to this. When you decide to come kill me and murder and torture my family, when you decide to commit genocide of my people, well, you have crossed a line. At that point, I see no point in "Think of the Enemy Soldiers", and I am more "Think of my Family". Maybe years or decades later, I might be more reflective of the past. The idea that I should be thinking of my murderers, is not one I am going to waste my time on.

NeverConvex wrote:
Out've curiosity, Tars, what would be an example of something Slime could do that you would agree is an example of poor writing?

Unlimited Forgiveness
Anime's penchant for making any crime forgivable. You open up the gates of hell, to kill everyone on the planet, yet the next day after being stopped, your friends are still your friends and you are not in jail, despite your attempt to kill them and everyone they know.

People not acting like people
Yashahime is especially guilty of this. It feels like machines wrote Yashahime's script.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

I proposed it once, but imagine similar but time-reversed situation: Large enemy army boarded ships to rape and murder defenseless port, but you can attack them while they're on the sea, maybe with krakens or storms or something. If you know you won't be able to stop them after your one attack, and even tenth of the army could easily overpower and destroy the population of port, would it really be immoral to try to slaughter all enemies, even if they beg for mercy on their ships?

Yes, it would be immoral. Killing bad people =/= doing a good deed.

What your proposing is called the trolley problem, and the criticism of both your example and that problem is that it implies that you only have one of two extreme choices both of which have fixed outcomes. The trolley problem paints a very straightforward cause-effect view of life, but life is chaotic and unpredictable. How do you know what their intent is? How do you know that you can't stop them after one attack? Or that they won't retreat if they beg for mercy? Or that they're incapable of change.

Ultimately, I think the issue with your example, the trolley problem, and (perhaps) this show is that people don't want to feel bad about killing in defense (self or for others) and so we come up with justifications for why they had to or why they shouldn't feel guilty about it.

I don't disagree with this being trolley-like and actually mentioned it in my earlier post, and I do agree that it makes the situation contrived to absolve our slime of guilt by the writer.

I don't think I agree with your first sentence. Sure, killing bad people =/= doing a good deed. But for me the self defense, or defense of loved ones is not so much a good deed, but a basic human (or slime) right, and exercising your rights isn't immoral, even if it's not necessarily moral. I would compare it to parent of a brutally murdered child hunting down and cruelly offing the murderer themselves. It's not necessarily moral - and it's explicitly illegal - but, assuming they have 100% assurance of guilt, it's not immoral act for me.

As for JaffaOrange's post, I agree such reasoning is dangerous in real world, I wanted to point out that the whole resurrection thing drastically alters the morality of killing enemies. If we had that in real world, wars would be either extremely bloody, as losing side would risk being wiped out to resurrect as many of winning side people as possible, or almost bloodless, as armies would be using non-lethal arms where possible to minimize chance of retribution.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
..the whole resurrection thing...If we had that in real world, wars would be either extremely bloody, as losing side would risk being wiped out to resurrect as many of winning side people as possible, or almost bloodless, as armies would be using non-lethal arms where possible to minimize chance of retribution.

Maybe this would be the case if resurrection were commonplace, but it seems to be an exceedingly rare event in the Slime universe. We've been given no reason to treat it as a regular mechanic of war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 45