• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

I proposed it once, but imagine similar but time-reversed situation: Large enemy army boarded ships to rape and murder defenseless port, but you can attack them while they're on the sea, maybe with krakens or storms or something. If you know you won't be able to stop them after your one attack, and even tenth of the army could easily overpower and destroy the population of port, would it really be immoral to try to slaughter all enemies, even if they beg for mercy on their ships?

Yes, it would be immoral. Killing bad people =/= doing a good deed.

I don't think I agree with your first sentence. Sure, killing bad people =/= doing a good deed. But for me the self defense, or defense of loved ones is not so much a good deed, but a basic human (or slime) right, and exercising your rights isn't immoral, even if it's not necessarily moral. I would compare it to parent of a brutally murdered child hunting down and cruelly offing the murderer themselves. It's not necessarily moral - and it's explicitly illegal - but, assuming they have 100% assurance of guilt, it's not immoral act for me.

I don't view self-defense as immoral. Your first example (about the ships) just goes waaay beyond self-defense and into minority report/ judge dredd levels of morality. Anyone and anything could have the potential to harm you but a pre-emptive strike is not self-defense, it's paranoia. Heck, the enemy humans could argue their actions were valid based on the history of monsters. That eventually the monsters would have shown their true colors so why wait for them to hurt someone? The fact that their nation is still young is all the more reason to kill them now before they could grow into a bigger threat... which is exactly what happened.
But regular old self-defense where you fight back after being attacked or just scare someone off when they're threatening you isn't immoral. Although, the parent example you gave is mostly immoral, IMO, and goes back to my point about people not wanting to feel bad about killing in self-defense.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

I don't view self-defense as immoral. Your first example (about the ships) just goes waaay beyond self-defense and into minority report/ judge dredd levels of morality. Anyone and anything could have the potential to harm you but a pre-emptive strike is not self-defense, it's paranoia. Heck, the enemy humans could argue their actions were valid based on the history of monsters. That eventually the monsters would have shown their true colors so why wait for them to hurt someone? The fact that their nation is still young is all the more reason to kill them now before they could grow into a bigger threat... which is exactly what happened.
But regular old self-defense where you fight back after being attacked or just scare someone off when they're threatening you isn't immoral. Although, the parent example you gave is mostly immoral, IMO, and goes back to my point about people not wanting to feel bad about killing in self-defense.

Yes, but my point is they don't need to feel bad about killing in self-defense because it's not wrong. The justifications are correct - people have intrinsic right to justice and to protect their loved ones. It's true that it could result in circle of violence, but I'm not sure if that disproves the morality.
I'm not sure if you can have one all-compassing morality for everyone. In history of many countries, the fall of juntas, communist parties or other tyrannical systems happened in bloodless way, with former ruling caste given moratorium on their crimes so they don't fight the change. Other examples are the peace talks with FARC or Talibans. Those can be judges both as moral, as they prevent great amounts of harm in civil wars or bloody uprising, and as immoral by victims of crimes against humanity committed by the former rulers, and those victims have just claim to right the wrongs as well. Mossad was famous for assassinating former Nazi officials that escaped to South America, and I don't think they were in the wrong, even if assassinations are illegal for good reason.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Just to reiterate: the resurrection that was accomplished is an exceedingly rare event. First, the barrier that was in place when Shion and the others were murdered prevented their souls from dispersing, as would normally happen. When Rimuru realized this, he immediately reinforced the barrier. Second, the process of becoming a True Demon Lord is very rare. And third, Milam was the first (or maybe second) True Demon Lord in world history. Elen happened to know a legend about it that appeared to suggest that reincarnation might be possible. For 3 days, Rimuru (and Great Sage) did nothing but think of a way to bring Shion back and failed until Elen showed up and told him that story.

There is no "Resurrection Spell", just a freak set of circumstances that made it possible. If someone that Rimuru cares about were to die now, he would not be able to bring them back.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

There is no "Resurrection Spell", just a freak set of circumstances that made it possible. If someone that Rimuru cares about were to die now, he would not be able to bring them back.

Laughing
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just to reiterate: the resurrection that was accomplished is an exceedingly rare event. First, the barrier that was in place when Shion and the others were murdered prevented their souls from dispersing, as would normally happen. When Rimuru realized this, he immediately reinforced the barrier. Second, the process of becoming a True Demon Lord is very rare. And third, Milam was the first (or maybe second) True Demon Lord in world history. Elen happened to know a legend about it that appeared to suggest that reincarnation might be possible. For 3 days, Rimuru (and Great Sage) did nothing but think of a way to bring Shion back and failed until Elen showed up and told him that story.

OK, but however rare it was, the resurrection was crucial to the moral calculation of this single event we now debate. Without it the mass slaughter of surrendering enemies would be much harder, if possible at all, to defend, and the discussion would probably take tenth of the posts it has now.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Laughing

This is, of course, overlooking that the Slime universe looks upon Rimuru as a favored son, and would happily resurrect anyone he wanted, the moment he needed it. But we'd be told the probability of it working was low -- something like 3%. To create that sense of suspense you can only get from being narratively told that the chance of a thing that's clearly absolutely going to happen could maybe you know not happen and is actually really risky.

Really, if we take into account the way the narrative treats Rimuru, maybe resurrection is commonplace after all. We've just got to conspire to get Rimuru into situations where the world sees him need it..
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
OK, but however rare it was, the resurrection was crucial to the moral calculation of this single event we now debate. Without it the mass slaughter of surrendering enemies would be much harder, if possible at all, to defend, and the discussion would probably take tenth of the posts it has now.

If I read everyone here correctly -- and I'd like to reiterate that I haven't watched the show, so I can't really chime in about the portrayals -- many people here are saying the 20000 people Rimruru killed were basically slavering rape beasts. But more than anything else, it's mostly about rationalisation for ending someone's life, as if anything ever is or should be that easy. I mean... I've watched my share of kung fu B-movies or just other movies where revenge is the order of the day, and that usually end with the protagonist ending the life of whoever wronged them, so it's not like I'm new to this sort of thing (if not necessarily at this scale.) It's just that my distaste for that sort of thing hasn't exactly lessened over the years, particularly not after getting into Vinland Saga, which takes a long and hard look at where extreme vindictiveness gets you. I mean... someone brought up vikings here as an example, so hey.....

NeverConvex wrote:
This is, of course, overlooking that the Slime universe looks upon Rimuru as a favored son, and would happily resurrect anyone he wanted, the moment he needed it. But we'd be told the probability of it working was low -- something like 3%. To create that sense of suspense you can only get from being narratively told that the chance of a thing that's clearly absolutely going to happen could maybe you know not happen and is actually really risky.

Really, if we take into account the way the narrative treats Rimuru, maybe resurrection is commonplace after all. We've just got to conspire to get Rimuru into situations where the world sees him need it..

The fun thing about movies is that the narrower the odds, the more likely it is that someone will succeed. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back even made a joke about shutting up about the odds, which I always found hilariously on the nose. I mean.... I'm actually curious whether there ever was a movie where our hero or heroine had to face nearly impossible odds and then failed, having to live with the consequences of their terrible decisionmaking. (Granted, in that case, it'd HAVE to be a choice, not something said protagonists would have to do anyway because there literally were no other way around it.) But that's kind of beside the point, anyway, so never mind me.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Honestly, I just think it's bad writing that the series had to go to the extreme of portraying Falmuth and the church as irredeemably evil just so it could have Rimuru brutally slaughter all of them without any of the weight that would normally accompany such an act

There are plenty of similar examples in today's world, that such portrayals would be realistic.

No there aren't. We went over this when you tried to use the Vikings as an example of such (and then you hastily backtracked when informed that they were in fact not one-note irredeemably evil raiders).

I will say it again. There has never, nor is there ever likely to be, an entire nation or army full of nothing but people who salivate at the thought of committing atrocities. Not even the Nazis, the most evil group of people to ever exist (arguably) was that one-note.

I will also say this again, while portraying the entire army as evil to take away moral responsibility from Rimuru is bad from a writing perspective (because it is very obviously forced and also just plain boring) it is not actually relevant when discussing whether what Rimuru did here was moral or not. It doesn't [expletive] matter how cruel, genocidal or just plain evil the enemy soldiers are in a war. If they surrender, the hostilities are over and any further killing will just be plain murder. Rimuru had the power to end this "war" with almost no loss of life because he could have just gone past all the soldiers and taken the king and priest from the start. He didn't and killed thousands for his own selfish reasons, and then he used a skill specifically designed to kill people who surrender to kill even more people. That is a war-crime, no debate and no gray-area. No matter how much you may think he should be allowed to do things like that as long as the victims are evil enough.

Last edited by Johan Eriksson 9003 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote

My main point in posting what I did was just to clarify aspects of what was going on, not to speak about the morality of it: bringing people back from the dead is normally *impossible*, not just a matter of power level, but Fullmetal Alchemist impossible.

If we're talking about morality, I have no qualms whatsoever about what Rimuru did. IMO, he was entirely justified for the actions he took. Other people have a different opinion of that, and I understand that. It's fine. But I will say this: if someone, anyone, comes to try to murder me or my loved ones, I'm going to try to kill them first. All of them, if I can, regardless of how many that may be: one, one million, one billion, if there were a way that I could kill them and only them, I would do it without hesitation, because if it's going to be me or them, then it's going to be them. Those people invading Tempest already murdered women and children, and now a larger force was coming to finish the job. I don't know or care about what their inner nature might be, whether they're good or bad inside -- if I could kill them, I would definitely do it and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. As TarsTarkas (whose patience on this thread is nothing less than amazing, IMO) said: they chose their fates the moment they stepped across Tempest's borders.

Do I think my view is the "right" view? I don't know, nor do I particularly care: it's *my* view, and that'll all there is to say about it.

I do wonder what would've happened had Falmuth not sent their army or the barrier had allowed the victim's souls to disperse, leaving nothing to reincarnate. What would Rimuru have done then? But I'm glad that's not how things turned out.

NeverConvex wrote:

The 3% number was from before Rimuru evolved into a True Demon Lord. And even then, he needed Great Sage to evolve into Ultimate Skill Raphael who *still* almost failed. Just her evolving to Raphael almost failed.

But, yes, things do seem to fall Rimuru's way a lot. I won't go into that at all. I view it more like One Punch Man: once Saitama shows up, you *know* he's going to win, but the whys and hows of it are the interesting part, as well as the fallout afterwards.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So when Rimuru brought everyone back with those few spells/abilities/skills/whatever (Secret art of resurrection etc), are those one time abilities he can use at this time when evolving to a demon lord, or are they now in his repertoire?
It first was implied that his evolution allowed the resurrection as a side effect, but when he used specific ability names after his evolution (rather than just happening during it without his interference), it got me wondering.
Just curious if anyone knows for sure from the source
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The 3% number was from before Rimuru evolved into a True Demon Lord.

Yes, I caught this in-universe 'explanation'. I didn't mention it because I was challenging the in-universe logic, but because I thought it was a hilariously ineffective way to convey the risk and stakes to the viewer.

I imagine Great Sage speaking to us in the role of narrator: "This next task, dear viewer? You may not realize it, but this task is over 9,000 times hard!! You really should be concerned for Rimuru this time. Surely we wouldn't dare write him out of this tiny number we trapped him in! Nothing else stood in our way, but nay -- this small probability. That's what should help you finally feel a sense of genuine suspense."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So when Rimuru brought everyone back with those few spells/abilities/skills/whatever (Secret art of resurrection etc), are those one time abilities he can use at this time when evolving to a demon lord, or are they now in his repertoire?
It first was implied that his evolution allowed the resurrection as a side effect, but when he used specific ability names after his evolution (rather than just happening during it without his interference), it got me wondering.
Just curious if anyone knows for sure from the source

The skills/abilities they received as part of the Harvest Festival are their to keep. However, if you mean "is Resurrection a skill he received as part of becoming a True Demon Lord?" The answer to that is no, it's not. That was something he was able to do as part of the ceremony. As I said above, even then it required other conditions, like the souls of the dead still being at hand.

Normally, the soul disperses soon after death, and once that happens there is nothing to resurrect, in which case the Secret Art wouldn't have had anything to work on. Also, Rimuru preserved the bodies as soon as he returned, so he didn't have to completely rebuild the bodies, either.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

The skills/abilities they received as part of the Harvest Festival are their to keep. However, if you mean "is Resurrection a skill he received as part of becoming a True Demon Lord?" The answer to that is no, it's not. That was something he was able to do as part of the ceremony.

Thank you for the confirmation Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:

I will say it again. There has never, nor is there ever likely to be, an entire nation or army full of nothing but people who salivate at the thought of committing atrocities. Not even the Nazis, the most evil group of people to ever exist (arguably) was that one-note.

No one said, everyone was one note, just that there wasn't enough of them to make a difference. The Falmuth army was there to commit murder, rape, torture, and in the end, genocide. I feel no need to feel sorry for them or care about them that much. They knew what they and their fellow soldiers were going to do.

No one feels sorry for the Nazi's, the Imperial Japanese army, the soldiers of Myanmar, the Hutu's, Pol Pot, the North Korean government, and the Serbian soldiers. i am sure I have forgotten some from the last 70 years or so. All a devil's brew of evil.

I am sure I wouldn't want to be one of the few soldiers in the Falmuth army that actually had a soul. That I would have to stand by an watch the rapine, torture, and murder of all the women and children, you know 'genocide'. Yet, if I was indeed there and was not killing my fellow soldiers in a gleeful raging insane rampage, to punish them for destroying my soul, then I would deserve to die. A good person could never go home, because how could you look your family in the eye.

Also, there is a difference between civilians and soldiers, a big difference.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Again I don’t know the details of the Slime situation and might agree with you in that context, but just replying to the real-life examples to say that not a lot of serious consideration was given to executing every member of the German or Japanese militaries following the surrender, and imho exterminating North Korea’s ~1.8m soldiers outside of combat or military necessity, for example, would be a very bad thing. Even if it was somehow a genuine necessity I’d consider it tragic.

As another example, very similar arguments — that the other side is coming to get you so you don’t need to feel bad about slaughtering them in cold blood, even regardless of the individual because they’re complicit by association — were used in propaganda leading up to the Bosnian ethnic cleansing. Obviously that’s exactly the sort of thing you’re wanting to prevent, but once you get a large group whipped up into a state where they can remorselessly execute large groups outside of combat for their allegiances rather than for individual crimes, it seems to be a sadly small leap to get a lot of people to apply similar logic to associated civilians. “Without civilian support the evil army wouldn’t be able to fight, therefore civilians are also complicit.”

I just mean, in the anime’s case you might be 100% correct, but in real life telling people to slaughter in cold blood without guilt has more often been used to instigate genocides than prevent them. At the least it’s a very dangerous mindset to get people into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 45