• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Well they did say that they where just provoking tempest with a skirmish in order to galvanise other humans against tempest.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly hearing Gobta cry made me sadder than seeing Shion dead mainly cos Rimuru reviving her removes the emotional impact of her death though I know there are those who don't agree
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
In magical fantasy worlds, no one is truly dead, they are, as said in "The Princess Bride", "mostly dead".
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't too surprised that Shion was among the dead, given that she was conspicuously not mentioned last episode, but I was less surprised that some avenue was left open to get her (and the others) revived. She's just too major a character in the franchise for the writing to have the guts to kill her off permanently. (This isn't Attack on Titan, after all.)

And was that fairy tale actually about how Milim became a Demon Lord? That might explain a few things about her if true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't too surprised that Shion was among the dead, given that she was conspicuously not mentioned last episode, but I was less surprised that some avenue was left open to get her (and the others) revived. She's just too major a character in the franchise for the writing to have the guts to kill her off permanently. (This isn't Attack on Titan, after all.)

That will just be the first of many of Rimuru's ridiculous exploits spoiler[after he ascends and its where I start to get a little put off by him].

Quote:
And was that fairy tale actually about how Milim became a Demon Lord? That might explain a few things about her if true.

It is. In fact the recently released YP version of vol 10 spoiler[shows that same dragon in the story near the vol's climax]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing Gobzo dead really floored me (not so much Shion since her immediate prior scenes were her being insufferable), but how did Shuna get away intact after he was dead?
I was ready to praise this series for surprising me this much since the comically evil threat was not only real and serious but the actually had the guts to kill monsters and even a part of the main cast.
Turns out they didn't but I guess it was a bit too dark for this series. The implications and consequences are interesting though. Youm is coming very far with little merit, but killing off the king will smoke out the isekai trio as they try to claim the throne for themselves, so there's that, would be cool if Youm actually had a fighting chance against them.
I also find it funny that more humans are going to die from this than orcs did during the previous crisis.

Key wrote:

How many pink twintailed girls who go around in a coat and their underwear and are demon lords do you know?
The tale actually made me laugh, I didn't think we'd get to learn her backstory in this manner. Specially since it wasn't the story itself but the visuals going out of their way that "spoiled" it Laughing
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So there I was watching Reincarnated as a Slime, and all of a sudden it turned into Overlord.

Underling: There's an army of 20,000 men heading this way!
Ainz Rimurooal: Subarashi! I only need to sacrifice half of them.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, he very much intends to become an Overlord Laughing

It's honestly hard to care about that number when every single one you know is an awful person. Now, the troops going his way are Falmunt's, so that means the church will probably survive this. Their propaganda will be justified, but on the other hand in this setting nobody seems to want to cross demon lords so I doubt they'll try anything rash anytime soon.
Since the "I'm not a bad slime" approach backfired, I guess Rimuru will try the "just you DARE try anything funny" strategy, which seems to work fine for other overlorded nations.
All in all, Clayman has fed Rimuru two very powerful enemies (the second of which didn't quite work out) and now he sends after him just the desert he needs to finally become a demon lord. How capricious life can be, eh?
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Great so Slime is pulling a "Fairy Tail" except this time, it comes with a Great cost.

By "Fairy Tail" I of course mean when any said character has been killed, however moments or episodes later they are usually brought right back to life. Thus removing any emotional impact, tension or stakes that the manga/anime was trying to create.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hell, is it right for him to then overthrow an entire country and install his own puppet ruler—

Quote:
I'm not sure you want Youm and Myulan ruling a conquered country. Neither strikes me as politically savvy, and I don't see either being able to rule with an iron fist. Also, how would normal people react to the fact that their new queen is a demon?

@Richard It really goes back to the setting you explained earlier. The Falmuth king was already a puppet to Clayman. And if you assume he conscripted his army and with his overall greed and heavy taxation, would his people really care who is king/queen, so long as their lives get better. It's really no different than when Rimuru killed the leader of the wolves, took over leadership of the goblin village, assumed leadership of the orcs. Falmuth will simply become a vassal state of the ever-growing Tempest nation.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This puts the viewer right in the middle of an ethical dilemma. Like Rimuru, we care about Shion, Gabzo, and all the innocent monsters killed in the Falmuth raid. However, this being a medieval setting, the majority of Falmuth's soldiers are likely conscripts (peasants forced into taking up arms by their greedy King) with knights and career soldiers only making up the command structure. This, in turn, means that most of the 10,000 Rimuru plans to kill are as innocent as his own slaughtered people.

So is it right for Rimuru to kill 10,000 to bring back the hundred or so who died just because he was personally responsible for them? Hell, is it right for him to then overthrow an entire country and install his own puppet ruler—especially considering the chaos and rebellions that are sure to follow? Regardless of how evil the King, his council, and the Western Holy Church are, the massive death toll that would result from going through with his plans would make Rimuru unquestionably evil in the eyes of humanity—and perhaps in the eyes of the viewer as well.
I don't really believe that the show is going to really raise any ethical issue in a meaningful way. So far, both times an actual problem showed up, the show has turned around and made it disappear immediately ("oh, look, an enemy that can kill him that's going to force him to lose control, jk, it's a clone." And now, "Oh, no, Shion is dead, but lol resurrection") So either he's going to somehow fake-kill these people like he did with Myulan or they're going to be so devoid of moral weight that they're not going to matter. So far, the show hasn't introduced any front-line grunts with no say in the matter to give them significance, and I suspect that the army is going to be mostly heavily-armored folks whose faces you can't see.

I'd love to be surprised, but because the show has been so consistent about undoing any problem almost immediately, it's only going to be a surprise, and I'm not going to feel much tension while it comes.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I still think the shield is too effective that it turns someone who could level entire fields into a ravine into someone who could die tripping over in front of a knight with a poleaxe. This coming from a series where people weaker then her where creating giant whirlwinds and black lightning that killed hundreds of orcs.

What the cheapness of the weakening has done is make the darkness of the attack feel unearned. Perhaps against the other reincarnations it would of felt like the weakening could justify a losing fight but even after some injury from her earlier fight it feels like shions death is undeserved. Being dark because people have criticised the show for no stakes as opposed to actually being a dark show.

To be honest the resurrection thing feels like normal slime. It follows the pattern of all that has come before. This isnt a show about evils of corrupt men. And if its gonna pivot Rimuru into one its gonna remove the attraction the series had in the first place. About an idealist using his powers to help those he comes across. Which is why I believe he will not kill the soldiers unless they come across as non original era storm troopers.

Last edited by Cryten on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't expecting to see Slime turn in to Overlord, but here we are.

I unfortunately spoiled myself about Shion's fate when looking in to while she was missing, but I still felt the hit when the reveal came. I think seeing Gabzo (who I didn't know about) really helped land it though.

The resurrection idea did seem to come a bit too soon, but then again, you don't want to have a bunch of corpses lying around for too long (and monsters apparently disappear), so there was at least an in world reason for a time limit on moving the plot along.

Regarding bringing characters back to life, while it is a potential easy out this time, I didn't get the impression that this would be a repeatable event (it seems to be tied to the act of becoming a demon lord, rather than a demon lord ability (though I could be wrong there)), so I don't think we could definitely count on this again in the future.

"The Slime Who Learned To Cry" sounds like it would be a children's book (for some reason Rimuru not being able to cry made me think of this *shrug*)

Quote:
I'm not sure you want Youm and Myulan ruling a conquered country. Neither strikes me as politically savvy, and I don't see either being able to rule with an iron fist. Also, how would normal people react to the fact that their new queen is a demon?

Isn't Youm a hero after the Orc situation? I'm guessing the idea is that he'd be the easiest and most acceptable person to install rather then the best.
Presumably the general populace would never know about Myulan's true identity.

In regards to Rimuru's actions being evil or not, regardless of whether you think so, the story definitely goes out of it's way to lessen the "evilness" of the act by sending an invading army to defeat instead of making Rimuru have to go out and find 10,000 people to kill.

Quote:
However, this being a medieval setting, the majority of Falmuth's soldiers are likely conscripts (peasants forced into taking up arms by their greedy King) with knights and career soldiers only making up the command structure. This, in turn, means that most of the 10,000 Rimuru plans to kill are as innocent as his own slaughtered people.

Regardless of whether or not the main force wants to be there or not, they're still an invading army. You can't really tell you soldiers to only kill the "real" enemy soldiers. Unless Rimuru could find a way to cause more than 50% of the invading soldiers to flee or surrender, he and his forces would end up taking them out in battle irrespective of the Demon Lord requirements.
Of course that's clearly why the author is sending such a large force at this time in the first place *shrug*

Quote:
I'm still unclear on how Clayman's heart control works. Is it mind control or simply a hostage situation? Does having Myulan's heart mean Myulan is magically compelled to obey Clayman's orders or is it simply that he will destroy her heart and kill her if she disobeys?

I take it as a hostage situation (he told her to do things, but didn't seem to be literally controlling/compelling her to do them), but perhaps there's more to it in the novels?

Quote:
It was a big asshole move on the part of Rimuru's advisors to not immediately inform him of Shion's death. He is the king.

Agreed.

Key wrote:

It definitely seemed like Milim was being depicted to me.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Isn't Youm a hero after the Orc situation? I'm guessing the idea is that he'd be the easiest and most acceptable person to install rather then the best.
Presumably the general populace would never know about Myulan's true identity.

Youm is good PR but he has no proven skills or judgement and his handling of the Mulan thing has been... clumsy at best. From now on he'll be making important decissions and be surrounded by people who will try to take advantage of him, those are some shoes to fill.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hm... seems like the second season is suffering the same major problem as the first: they don't quite know how to pace the story and don't seem to be putting much thought into what content to cut, and what content to keep.

A good adaptation can improve on the original story! (I hate to always bring up 12 Kingdoms as an example here, but: 12 Kingdoms.) Shion's death in the LN was also undermined by the near-immediate resurrection revelation... but even if the characters in a story don't have time to reflect (not that there'd be any problem with adding new scenes, but if you want to ignore that obvious option) -- that's not true of the viewers. They very easily could have cut some of the redundant bits from Rimuru's big fight with Hinata in order to reveal Shion's death at the end of last week's episode. Then we'd have had a full week to consider this story under the (thin) illusion that the narrative might be taking a darker turn, transforming the story's world into one where actions have consequences.

The inability to make these changes is what keeps the anime stuck as just another, boilerplate, generic adaptation. I'm not saying it's bad, far from it, and if nothing else I'm glad to have a popcorn adventure series this season that doesn't read as "incel power fantasy" and provoke the usual apologia for the graphic sexualization of children (God I hate this community sometimes) -- it's just that ultimately I'm stuck feeling I'd be better off rereading the LN again, instead.

And the fact that's my main response to the anime indicates, very strongly, I think, that for me it's failed as an adaptation.

I dunno. Maybe my language is coming across too strong. You can probably guess what other reviews/threads I skimmed through before popping in here.... I need to exercise better restraint in the future, I guess.

Again, not saying it's bad, just not as could as it could easily be, and the lack of effort in trying for that is just... annoying. And tiresome. Contrast this adaptation to the Spider anime, where they're being a lot more free about cutting redundant scenes and playing with the content, and I just can't help but feel disappointed.

Though I guess I can console myself that it's nowhere near so disappointing as the utterly devastating train wreck that is Yashahime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 45