• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Annual Survey Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The survey is live here: /survey/.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
This is the foodie in me talking, but I'd love for one day us to be able to cover Food related topics. Whether it be simply a spotlight on fun street food and street food festivals, food seen in anime and how to prepare it, or a more generic overview of trends in Japanese cuisine and drink. I would in particular love anything on Japanese street food. There's a yoube channel I follow and the 2 guys try all sorts of street food, festival food, Japanese convenience store food we don't have, etc. I just find it really cool and interesting seeing all of those different items we don't see here.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
As someone who enjoys going to 2.5D musicals, I'd love to see reviews on anime stage plays, even if it's reviewing a DVD.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
This is the foodie in me talking, but I'd love for one day us to be able to cover Food related topics. Whether it be simply a spotlight on fun street food and street food festivals, food seen in anime and how to prepare it, or a more generic overview of trends in Japanese cuisine and drink.

I kind of agree, also kind of disagree... Mostly with your emphasis on street and festival food. There's a lot of traditional food that could/should be covered as well. (That is, there are folks interested in food, not spectacle.)

And for $DIETYS sake, if you do cover this topic, make sure whoever is doing so knows what the heck they're talking about. There's already way too much coverage on the web of the "golly, gee, wow! this is tasty!!!!!!!!!" variety. I want to know about the food, not the presenter or having three quarters of the presentation be spent on frippery and filler.

tl;dr There's a lot of visually or textually impressive food media out there that's practically devoid of actual content. Please contribute signal, not noise. Please take the topic seriously.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
I kind of agree, also kind of disagree... Mostly with your emphasis on street and festival food. There's a lot of traditional food that could/should be covered as well. (That is, there are folks interested in food, not spectacle.)

I agree that there is plenty of "traditional" food that could be covered as well. I was just pointing out a few ideas. I do take notice with your comment about folks being interested in the "food" and not the spectacle. Just because I, or others, are interested in street foods as a topic, and not just "traditional" dishes (which I would argue many would fall under the umbrella of street food in their own right) doesn't mean we're not interested in the actual food. Your comment seems to imply that, and in a bit of a condescending manner.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a reference to the production values typical of the media covering that kind of food - they typically spend more time filling time or column inches with... well, filler. I won't disagree that establishing context is important, but they often get the priority backwards... the bulk of the media is repetitive context and food is almost pushed into the background by comparison.

If you're familiar with print food media, Bon Appétit is kinda typical of what I'm talking about - "food-as-lifestyle" as opposed to "food-as-food". If you have NHK World available in your neck of the woods, "Trails to Oishi Tokyo" ("Trails to Tsukiji") leans slightly towards my preferred style.

And though it wasn't meant to be condescending, when it comes to food (as there is in anything) there is undeniably a spectrum. Bon Appétit occupies one place on it, Cook's Illustrated a very different place. It's silly (and all too common) to pretend that "one size fits all".
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
How many variant spellings of “VTubers” were in that poll? I think at least three.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Do you all consider the nintendo switch a console or a portable......Because that is actually something that should really be defined in the survey
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Do you all consider the nintendo switch a console or a portable......Because that is actually something that should really be defined in the survey

I think more people play it handheld than docked (and in my case I have a Switch Lite so it's handheld or nothing) so I consider the Switch a portable 1st and foremost, that has the capability to dock and play on TV.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What does "do you have a car?" and "if so-what make is it?" have to do with anime?
MaRie_J_D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey!

I'm surprised you don't ask “Which is your preferred way to read manga?” And it'd be nice if there was an answer like “Borrow in a Library” for that section. I mainly read mine from the library. I roughly borrow up to a thousand (maybe more I lost count along the way) manga a year. I didn't buy any in the last few years but I'm still an avid read.

Keep up the great work! :3
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:00 am Reply with quote
For those who have been to Japan, most obscure destinations in Japan (e.g. spending a night at a hotel or at least eating a meal there) would be an interesting survey topic.

For myself I would include: Tsunozu / Gotsu in Shimane, and Rumoi, Nemuro, Urakawa and Okhotsk-Mombetsu in Hokkaido.

Another for the Japan visitors would be favourite live music venues / anison clubs / anime-related stores (most obscure store for me was Book・Net・One in Tomikawa, Hokkaido).

In other words, not striving for "most popular" but the more unusual individual favourite experiences.

PS, number visits to Japan could have more categories (e.g 20-29, 30+). One travel agent that I used had visited Japan 67 times.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
Had to add "Japanese politics" to the list of interests.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
What does "do you have a car?" and "if so-what make is it?" have to do with anime?

Those kind of answers help sell advertising. If ANN can say "30% of our readers are planning to buy a car this year, and these are the brands they're considering", that can help make an ad sale, which in turn keeps the lights on.

And no, while I don't think that Toyota or GM are currently advertising on the site, it wouldn't hurt to try. They don't want to become completely dependent on Aniplex and Right Stuf.
Iudicium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
i've been a casual kpop fan for the past couple years but never heard of "Hallyu"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3