• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Annual Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
What does "do you have a car?" and "if so-what make is it?" have to do with anime?

It's probably related to the question about the types of conventions people attend.

PS: Were there only popular destinations involved in the "where would you like to visit in Japan" question? 'Cause I'd also like to try to find where my granma stayed in Okinawa when Dad's family lived there in the mid-'50s, and Echizen, home to His Honorable Honor Ooka Tadasuke and Murasaki Shibu.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
One thing I would like to see covered is more shoujo content in general.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisokoro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Something that i wished was on the list of things we wanted covered on the site would be more behind the scenes stuff.
Something like Naoki Urasawa's Manben. This type of work offers really interesting insight and can spark great conversations and engagement with the site.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Logged in for the first time in years to say I only voted "bad job" because your ads are horribly intrusive. I also hate your unavoidable spoilers in my Facebook feed and even in the descriptions under thumbnails next to this text box as I type. I also wish you'd stop trying to broaden what being interested in anime and manga is - there's enough of a gap between the LN people and the retro shojo only people, for example, without dragging bloody Korean soaps into this.

Overall good, yes, or I wouldn't be following you for your journalism.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
About the number of console games I buy a year, the most accurate answer would be "plenty, but mostly old games from thrift stores (re: Value Village) or, very occasionally, flea markets, and brick-and-mortar videogame stores that sell old games".

Most of the "new" games I buy are either off the bargain rack at Walmart or from Amazon (when the price drops below $30 Canadian). As far as I can remember, the last time I spent full price on a brand new game was 2012.

Shouldn't consoles for which production of new games (not counting homebrew) has stopped several years ago be excluded from the list? I mean, I still play my Nintendo DS and XBox 360 but I also still play games on the Playstation 2, the Sega Dreamcast, and even the Sega Genesis every now and then yet I don't see the latter three on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote
Who has to go through all these surveys?
toprak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
So we still have a chance to see manhwas on ANN, hyped! Anime catgrin
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
A little surprised that Yokohama wasn't on the list of destinations when visiting (and that is where our relatives live.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yokohama is in a separate prefecture but I think, for the purposes of this survey, it counts as part of the general Tokyo Metropolitan Area, as does Chiba, a city I want to visit as it's where WataMote takes place.

I'd also want to visit rural Japan (especially in the Chubu region or Hokkaido outside of Sapporo) and some smaller cities like Hamamatsu, Shizuoka (where both Strawberry Marshmallow and Gabriel DropOut are set), Nishinomiya, Hyougo (for Haruhi Suzumiya, although it's probably lumped in with Kobe for the purposes of this survey) and Hirosaki, Aomori (Flying Witch).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Just got chance to complete the survey yesterday. Was really surprised the survey add a question if one was familiar with Hallyu (or the Korean Wave) given that I've been a K-pop/Hallyu fan since 2013.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:18 am Reply with quote
Seems a bit odd to divide desktops and laptops into the categories of "Mac" and "PC" as though Mac were not a subcategory of PCs. And if "PC" is supposed to mean Windows, there's an "Other" category missing (GNU/Linux, BSD, TempleOS, etc.).
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Seems a bit odd to divide desktops and laptops into the categories of "Mac" and "PC" as though Mac were not a subcategory of PCs. And if "PC" is supposed to mean Windows, there's an "Other" category missing (GNU/Linux, BSD, TempleOS, etc.).

I was hoping that someone mentioned this. Not all PCs are created equal! Linux and Windows are not the same PC.

One of the issues I have had with ANN is that the website seems outdated, especially the forum/discussion section of articles. Keeping discussion within forums is probably a benefit because of content moderation, but it is a detriment because it might limit people's willingness to engage with ANN content.

Another thing I want ANN to do is add more video and audio content. I know that ANNcast ended on a sad note, but there should still be space for ANN to add consistent multimedia content. And let's be honest, a lot of people would rather play a youtube video in the background and argue in comment sections than they would read an entire article.

There is probably opportunity for ANN to add premium video and audio content that a lot of people would consume in order to feel closer to the site. ANN might even be able to feature other content creators that are popular in the anime/manga community.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
jymmy wrote:

I was hoping that someone mentioned this. Not all PCs are created equal! Linux and Windows are not the same PC.

One of the issues I have had with ANN is that the website seems outdated, especially the forum/discussion section of articles. Keeping discussion within forums is probably a benefit because of content moderation, but it is a detriment because it might limit people's willingness to engage with ANN content.

Another thing I want ANN to do is add more video and audio content. I know that ANNcast ended on a sad note, but there should still be space for ANN to add consistent multimedia content. And let's be honest, a lot of people would rather play a youtube video in the background and argue in comment sections than they would read an entire article.

There is probably opportunity for ANN to add premium video and audio content that a lot of people would consume in order to feel closer to the site. ANN might even be able to feature other content creators that are popular in the anime/manga community.

The false idea that people would rather watch a video than read is literally what killed a large swath of the internet. Those statistics were heavily manipulated and the sites that attempted to do so are now all gone.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Arguing over the content of a video that the arguer didn't pay attention to (played in the background) is not a net positive contribution to the world.

ATastySub wrote:
The false idea that people would rather watch a video than read is literally what killed a large swath of the internet.

It killed one specific site, and we only know about it because one low level employees rant about it went viral. There's pretty much zero evidence that it was a general thing.

Quote:
Those statistics were heavily manipulated and the sites that attempted to do so are now all gone.

Meanwhile, YouTube racks up billions of views a day... and channels for people who'd rather watch than read are growing like gangbusters.

That being said, I agree, thought for different reasons. Videos suck. They're a waste of my time because I can read and think far faster than the presenter can talk. (And I don't think that ability is that uncommon given the low information density.) They can't be quoted. They can't be indexed or searched. And unless you're presenting active video material (such as an anime clip), you're either just watching a talking head or a slideshow.

All too often they dumb down the topic because they're aimed at passive consumption to fill time (on a commute, or on the treadmill or whatever).
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Gasero wrote:

And let's be honest, a lot of people would rather play a youtube video in the background and argue in comment sections than they would read an entire article.

Arguing over the content of a video that the arguer didn't pay attention to (played in the background) is not a net positive contribution to the world.

I'm not making arguments about what is a net positive contribution to the world. I'm mentioning something that might bring more views, advertisements, and potential subscribers to ANN.

ANN could also produce video and audio content that is only for subscribers, and that does not have to exist on Youtube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3