• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone: Stone Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The biggest takeaway from this episode: the Dr. STONE fandom is thirsty for more images of Senku with his hair down. Laughing I don't blame them for it, though; they had no reason to make him look THAT good. spoiler[Honestly, it's therapy given the current manga arc; anime giving us something good.]

Also, you KNOW an episode is good when they put one of the OPs during a battle scene. While Good Morning World! is my favorite of the two S1 openings, Sangenshoku fit the flow of the fighting scene more. And damn, Tsukasa really does fight great for being down a lung!

Bringing back the Taiju/Senku clothing gag - now with the addition of Yuzuriha! - was probably my favorite non-fighting scene. I love how everyone is so shocked by how fast she can create clothes.

One episode left, and still hoping for an S3 announcement with it. Fingers crossed!
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis said:

Quote:
However, he doesn't run away—despite the fact that all he has to do was let go of his spear and step out of a crawling man's reach. It'd be one thing if this were a metaphorical conversation, with nothing but thoughts running through each other's heads. However, we see lip movements implying that they are actually talking. This turns an engrossing climax into a bit of a silly one and drastically undercuts what should have been the series' most satisfying moment.

Hyoga only knows how to fight with a spear, that was established earlier when he was up against Kohaku. So, as soon as Hyoga lets go of his spear, he doesn't have a good way to fight and in front of him is the "crawling man" Tsukasa, who could very well throw it at him as he runs and give him a similar hole in his chest. Hyoga had two choices besides running and possibly getting impaled: kill Tsukasa and retrieve his spear or pull it out and strike Senku. Either way, I agree that the climax was undercut.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
I liked this series when it first started. My impression of the series was formed then. So, when they pushed Taiju Oki and Yuzuriha Ogawa out of prominence in the show, I kinda lost my interest in it. Glad it still going strong, for those still interested.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess without himself at the helm Tsukasa didn't trust in the viability of his empire, it was crazy fast how they switched from war to truce to assimilation lol
The plan is a bit... quite iffy, since Tsukasa should be clinically dead and primitive freezing shouldn't be able to keep the body from rotting for years (how does this work anyway? It doesn't resemble the condenser of modern systems). If the dr. stone is so good that it can be revive that which no longer lives, its effectiveness is outright creepy.

And then there's the elephant in the room: why did the ray work completely for humans, partially for swallows, not at all for the rest of (land) animals and why does Senku think he can petrify other animals?

P.S.: I love how my screenshots of Senku talking about Mario look like a shitpost
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but I felt nothing when Tsukasa spoiler['died.'] I guess it's because of the cheesy English music in the background lmao
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
11 episodes feels like such a weird episode count, but I guess they decided that each season would be an entire story arc rather than just setting a number of episodes and seeing how far they could get. Granted, that means the third season could potentially be a long one since building the ship is a mini-arc in and of itself, but just ending it when the ship is finished would result in a pretty boring season. As such Season 3 will probably be both the ship-building and the spoiler[Treasure Island/Petrification Kingdom] arcs combined.

For the record, a good bit of Senku and Tsukasa's conversation was anime-original; the manga just jumped from the "Who would you take to space?" conversation to Senku's hypothesis about Mario. IMO it was a good decision since it really helps to establish the friendship between the two of them, which mostly got glossed over in the beginning of the story due to the nature of compressed storytelling. This season was overall pretty good with the anime-only additions, fleshing out the characters a little better (like showing Ukyo participating in disaster relief to establish his kind nature) and addressing instances of "show, don't tell" (Chrome's scientific jailbreak got a lot of narration boxes in the manga, while the anime had the characters themselves discuss it).

About the other point, though, I wonder if the show's de-emphasis on narration was also done due to the passing of Keiji Fujiwara, the show's narrator and the voice of Byakuya Ishigami. Maybe the staff wanted to avoid casting a replacement actor so quickly for fear of looking disrespectful.

Also, the character they teased at the very end of the episode is probably going to be extremely divisive once he hits animation. spoiler[The character in question, Ryusui Nanami, is a quirky rich guy with a larger-than-life personality; one could easily draw comparisons to Elon Musk, which is exactly where the arguments are probably going to start. I can foresee the audience being split between "This guy is nuts and I love it" and "Ugh, screw this rich jerk". While Ryusui openly cops to being greedy, he wants to share the fruits of his success with his friends rather than selfishly hoarding everything for himself and is ultimately a positive force in the new Kingdom of Science.] I just hope the audience will give him a fair chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4