• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just What the Heck is Genshin Impact?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Don't be surprised if some posts vanish when I have more time to look through some stuff a bit more thoroughly, and if they don't, some of you should consider yourselves lucky.

That's cool. I only realised after I could've PM'ed people instead of dragging this out in public.

Bottom-line I think we can all agree that realistically there has to be some compromise between promoting gacha-style gambling to kids around the world en masse, and eradicating or banning gacha games to kids altogether. One's not ethical and the other's not practical. But yeah, if we're not supposed to engage with necro-posted threads then perhaps this isn't the place for such a discussion.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:36 am Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
But yeah, if we're not supposed to engage with necro-posted threads then perhaps this isn't the place for such a discussion.

Does it still count as necro-posting if the original article for the comment thread is reposted to the front page of the site?
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:55 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
strawberry_milk wrote:
But yeah, if we're not supposed to engage with necro-posted threads then perhaps this isn't the place for such a discussion.

Does it still count as necro-posting if the original article for the comment thread is reposted to the front page of the site?

That's how I found this article, but maybe it was reposted because someone commented on it after all this time? I don't know how it works. But we just had a mod call it necro posted and there's a rule against that. Can only leave it in the mod's hands.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
strawberry_milk wrote:

That's how I found this article, but maybe it was reposted because someone commented on it after all this time? I don't know how it works. But we just had a mod call it necro posted and there's a rule against that. Can only leave it in the mod's hands.

To clarify: I wasn't initially aware the article had been reposted and wasn't sure why someone suddenly posted again after so many months. We get random necro posts moderately often, which then pushes the thread to the top of the talkback forum, and so it's not uncommon for that to sometimes lead to further posts and discussions by people who may not even realize the dates on the article and older posts. Looking at this thread that seemed to be the case here at first.

Anyways I never took any action against any "necro" posts in this thread and my reference was mostly just a half joking lament that such a huge and heated thread that was initially much calmer had seemingly been spawned from such a random thing. So no worries about posting in this thread, though uh, not if it involves furthering a dead argument or other stuff that would be a problem regardless of article age.

As for why the article got reposted, I can't say for sure but I'd guess it was probably reposted because of the Genshin Ufotable anime announcement. People unfamiliar with Genshin might be curious about it after that, so it would make sense to repost an ANN article about the game for further info.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
It's a gacha, think of it like a slot machine. You buy coin to play the slot and see if you've won something. But you can also think of it from the point of view of the pity mechanic. Every 10 pull of the slot machine will give you a 4 star item (either a new character or weapon) and every 90 pull will give a 5 star (5 star tend to be stronger than 4 star, although that's not always true). And once in awhile you'll be lucky and get more than one 4 star or even a 5 star, but don't count on it. The game has 3 different slot machine, a generic one which gives you some basic stuff, one that has much higher chance of giving you a specific sets of character (three 4 star and one 5 star) and one that has a much higher chance of giving you specific weapons. The character and weapon machine are available for 2 weeks once every roughly 3-4 months.

The game is very generous with free currency to buy attempts and it also gives you a few free character and weapons (some of which are very good, even amongst the best available), so unless you want every character it won't be problem to get a good team/weapon together. [/list]

Thank you for the explanation, and sorry for replying only now. I wish there was a way to directly buy characters/weapons since I simply don't like spending time with random pulls, but at least players are guaranteed to get the rarest characters/items eventually, and they aren't even necessary to play all/most of the game (if I understood the system correctly).

kotomikun wrote:
Yeah, I can't really recommend that, since we've already been waiting for 2 years and there's been no real updates about any ports. Since it's already on PC, phones, and Playstation, and under constant development for new characters and regions, in addition to the anime they just announced (must be why this old article got reposted), the Switch port has gotta be extremely low-priority. And we don't even know if it'll be a good port when/if it materializes.

Getting characters is more a matter of patience than anything else; wishes are a slot machine, yes, but limited 5-star characters are guaranteed after ~160 wishes (and the counter doesn't reset between "banners," that is, when the featured characters change) so it's best to just save up and not try to get every single one unless you're willing to fork over a lot of money. "Welkin Moon" and the battle pass are worth buying if you want to support the game, but the crystal packs are pretty bad value for money, only worth it for rich people trying to become unnecessarily strong.

Thanks to you too. I'll wait a bit more since I want to finish Elden Ring and a few other games and then play Zelda Tears of the Kingdom next year.
Should I be concerned about the Genshin Impact servers closing up, though? How many more years can we expect the game to be playable, approximately?

About the rest that is being discussed, I would just like to point out that, at least here in Europe, Genshin Impact is Pegi 12, meaning that it isn't suitable for children. It's a game for teenagers and adults, and if children play it anyway you shouldn't blame the game's producers/developers but the parents of said children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7