• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Makes Spanish, Portuguese Language Options Available in English-Speaking Territorie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Well, this is good news for Spanish speakers who live abroad and may want to check out some titles in their language, but Funimation's way of dealing with their spanish dubs has been weird. Only Attack on Titan and Stand my Heroes were dubbed in Mexico City where most of the major voice actors work, and in the case of AoT they managed to keep the same cast that dubbed the compilation movies despite that version being made by another company. Some titles like Assasination Classroom and Tokyo Ghoul were dubbed in Cuernavaca Mexico and those dubs feature some unknown actors, though some actors from Mexico City do work there as well. But the My Hero Academia dub was the most criticized, unlike the first movie which was dubbed first in Mexico City, the series was dubbed mainly in Miami, and although there were some veteran voice actors from Venezuela who now work there most of the voice actors have little experience and due to the massive cast of characters some others were voiced in Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Los Angeles, Orlando and North Carolina, and that caused a bit of a mixture of accents. Most people wish Funi dubbed MHA in Mexico with the same cast as the first movie (Heroes Rising was also dubbed in Mexico too).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
I applaud Funimation for adding more subtitles options. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that Crunchyroll has a bunch of subtitles options through their Android app.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Now how about expanding to the rest of Latin America or even where the languages came from, Spain and Portugal?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Well, this is good news for Spanish speakers who live abroad and may want to check out some titles in their language, but Funimation's way of dealing with their spanish dubs has been weird. Only Attack on Titan and Stand my Heroes were dubbed in Mexico City where most of the major voice actors work, and in the case of AoT they managed to keep the same cast that dubbed the compilation movies despite that version being made by another company. Some titles like Assasination Classroom and Tokyo Ghoul were dubbed in Cuernavaca Mexico and those dubs feature some unknown actors, though some actors from Mexico City do work there as well. But the My Hero Academia dub was the most criticized, unlike the first movie which was dubbed first in Mexico City, the series was dubbed mainly in Miami, and although there were some veteran voice actors from Venezuela who now work there most of the voice actors have little experience and due to the massive cast of characters some others were voiced in Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Los Angeles, Orlando and North Carolina, and that caused a bit of a mixture of accents. Most people wish Funi dubbed MHA in Mexico with the same cast as the first movie (Heroes Rising was also dubbed in Mexico too).

Knowing the recent contract, it looks like they'll do majority of the dubs on Mexico, between Cuernavaca or Mexico City.
workina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I applaud the team for adding subtitles. It helps Spanish speakers and anyone trying to learn a new language. It helped me a lot with my Portuguese pronunciation. For example, I learned some vocabulary from a dictionary from https://www.amazon.com/Portuguese-Frequency-Dictionary-Vocabulary-Dictionaries/dp/9492637618/. Now I watch a Portuguese movie; I hear those words and read the subtitle down. This is how I learned English, and it works for Portuguese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1