• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How Does Kuroko's Basketball Keep it Fresh?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: a "kuroko" is a noh stagehand (since they wear all black), so the title is literally "stagehand's basketball." It's very fitting because Kuroko sets up the team's plays while being simultaneously on the court but also invisible.
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm so tickled pink that my babies got the spotlight in TWIA. I recently rewatched it (again) so I could watch the movie which I think is my favorite part of the whole franchise.

I am also insanely amused that for the whole article Kagami was Taiga and Kuroko was Kuroko. Please do better. This is not a fan site.

Looking forward to seasons 2, 3, and the movie Last Game. It'll be a riot and hopefully "Taiga" will be Kagami. lol
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I stand by the theory that this was the anime that saved Production I.G from mediocrity after a generally bleh 2011 roster. It helps that it premiered the same season as Shining Hearts, I.G's only dip into the moe genre at its most well-known, something they normally tend to avoid. (Seriously, watch this ending theme and tell me it doesn't qualify.)

On the topic of the dub, only three of my predictions from this thread were correct: Khoi Dao as Kuroko, Keith Silverstein as Riko's dad, and Kaiji Tang as some guy from an opposing team. Better than my Baccano and Kill la Kill predictions, but still a long way from being semi-clairvoyant.
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing they can do about: "THIS IS JAPANESE LUNCHTIME RUSH"
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
The only question now is whether Fujimaki's future works can be just as successful as Kuroko, or whether it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I'm aware his last work, the golf-themed Robot x Laserbeam, didn't perform as well and got cancelled.

And there's been a history of certain mangaka not being able to replicate their previous works successes. Like how Kishimoto's Samurai 8 fell flat on its face, and Shiibashi Hiroshi hasn't had a decent hit after ending Nurarihyon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote
This type of series become more fantasy nowadays since there are now actual Japanese players good enough to be in the NBA
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I know yer only seven episodes in, but...Kise has a punchable face?! Not in my book...lol

@wolf10 - that was very interesting! Thanks for that tidbit of information! Very Happy
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I’ve only seen the first season of Kuroko’s Basketball subbed several years back on Crunchyroll and I really enjoyed it at the time but never got around to finishing it. The dub coming out on Netflix gives me a reason to go back to it now. Does the anime cover the entire story or does the manga go further than the anime?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’ve only seen the first season of Kuroko’s Basketball subbed several years back on Crunchyroll and I really enjoyed it at the time but never got around to finishing it. The dub coming out on Netflix gives me a reason to go back to it now. Does the anime cover the entire story or does the manga go further than the anime?

The three seasons cover the entire original manga, and the movie covers the two-volume "Extra Game" sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1