• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That doesn't sound right to me. The nets shouldn't sag, but if they did, some would then sag more than others so it wouldn't be uniform across courts, and it also wouldn't be uniform across the length of the net itself, so where do you measure?

You always measure at the center. Look at tennis nets. They have a strap down the middle anchored to the ground to make the exact regulation height. If you’ve ever watched, you can see that the net is slightly higher at the posts. That’s because any line that’s stretched across a span with a weight (in this case, the net) dragging it down will sag. Just like a rope bridge. So they picked a height that would be universally achievable with current rigging system on 8-foot poles, or whatever technology keeps nets up and tight.

Anyway, that’s my best guess as to why the height is what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2