• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: D4DJ First Mix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really watched this show, just seen bits and pieces, but the 3DCG is amazing. It's so much fun. Everyone has so much character and it's so silly. The smears look so natural and great, the expressions are good fun and it doesn't look all stiff and awkward like some CG shows are. Honestly, the amount of charm the CG has makes me want to watch the show.

I did listen to the dub briefly (to hear how Maho sounded in ENG) and I agree Maho's delivery was a bit stilted. However, I wonder if part of that was also the translation. It sounded very unnatural and not like how a human would normally talk, which makes me wonder if they translated it a certain way so the VA could say it without too much issue, or if the dub script is just rather awful.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The way Bushiroad handle of D4DJ First Mix is fascinating to note because I would have never expected them to actually upload full episodes on Youtube WITH chat on as well. It really gave the premiere episodes a more communal experience than I usually get when following any other simulcast (having peeps be well-behaved in chat is a huge boon as well).

As for the English dub for Maho, yeah....while it is a neat casting stunt to have the original voice actress reprise her role due to being bilingual, it's REALLY apparent she's more comfortable in Japanese than in English. I wonder how much time she's getting compared to the other English VAs; maybe that's one of the factors that could smooth out her performance.

On a side note, I just found out Muni's English voice actress is a rather successful Youtuber and Twitch streamer that goes by the name of LilyPichu. Maybe Bushiroad's marketing peeps could emphasize her involvement. Surprised
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
On a side note, I just found out Muni's English voice actress is a rather successful Youtuber and Twitch streamer that goes by the name of LilyPichu. Maybe Bushiroad's marketing peeps could emphasize her involvement. Surprised

Apparently episode 3 (I think? A Muni focused/intro episode) has way more views than the other eps purely because of the power of the voice actor so sounds like they made a good choice getting her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
I had just talked about it in the Watching Now topic of the Anime forum. I think that it is a fun show that does well with expressive CGI characters. I have been a fan of Sanzigen's expressive CGI characters since BBK/BRNK.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit, it was really fun being able to watch the show as it premiered and experiencing it with a live chat. I hope more companies can jump on that.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Better than Band Dream season 1, inferior to Bang Dream season 2. And then there's the idea that one entire school is a breeding ground for DJ groups- over bands- to the point that they have special in school remix contests daily.

They needed to dial that back a lot and focus more on a high school club scene. Have the girls have to go out and become something rather than focus on getting the special stage at a school festival- in short, just be more like Bang Dream season 2 than a school idol show.

Also, it's weird how well defined the girls of Happy Around were while the rest were bland at best or just plain awful at worst. Bushiroad's going make this into a series of shorts like they did with the Band Dream bands but I just don't see it working. Every Bang Dream band leader has a well defined personality and design that stood right from their first appearance.

D4DJ has Rinku.

I know there's a mobile game involved which is the main focal point but if that's the case, why are the individual characters who aren't part of Happy Around so blah?
Ann917813

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
>'Cute Girls Doing Cute Things’

I certainly hope D4DJ is all about that and it will stay that way until the end. Unlike Bang Dream....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1