• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life Season Two BR

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Great review, this show is so underrated. The music alone is out of this world. The animation is nothing special though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get more some day, for the music if nothing else
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I hope we get more some day, for the music if nothing else

There is plenty of materials to adapt, so I think there are two barriers currently.

First, narratively, the next arc would be the nationals. Despite plenty of materials, it is probably wise for the nationals to finish or finish a particular stage as if the next season ends at a weird place, it wouldn't be structurally sound. The anime narrative doesn't have to adapt one-to-one, and they didn't, which I really appreciate, so there is room for maneuvering.

Second, I am not sure how well the discs sold. If it didn't make a lot of money, then it will always be hard to make another season.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I'm sure they could handle the first issue, but the second is always the real hurdle unfortunately :/
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
I totally missed this show when it aired and was so lucky to discover it later on. If you like shows about music like Nodame and Eupho, or shows about clubs and competitions like Chihayafuru, you should add Kono Oto Tomare to your viewing list. I like that the reviewer highlights the relationship between Hiro and Takezou, compared to the somewhat more-cliched main pairing of Satowa and Chiko. Both pairings are interesting to watch in their different ways. I also agree that Akira's growth can be underappreciated since there is no "Eureka!" moment, but it made her spoiler[standing up for the club during the meeting at the Houzuki household] that much more satisfying.

Some of the musical performances appear as clips on YouTube. I suggest not watching the clip from King Records that covers the final performance, called "Tenkyuu," since it contains some spoilers.

I was disappointed at times that we didn't hear more koto performances, but the show is really focused as much, if not more, on the characters as on the music. The performances that we see are stellar though. I believe I read somewhere that the sister of the manga-ka played Satowa's parts.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Curious, how come the site uses BR instead of BD for its reviews?

Obviously not set in stone and most readers probably don't care since they know what you mean but even blu-ray.com has it in their info section

https://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Quote:
also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD)

I'm no language expert but it's Blu-ray (1 word) not Blu Ray (2 words)

2 words would be Blu-ray Disc wouldn't it?

The size of the disc itself is often named BD-50 or BD-25 (or with UHD BD-100 or BD-66)

not BR-50

BR might also cause some confusion that it's BD-R (Blu-ray Disc Recordable) which is objectively unpopular as fans who spend money on physical media want a pressed/replicated disc, not a recordable version of bootleg type quality with a lesser lifespan and might have issues playing on various devices.

As for the show itself I've planned to watch it but keep putting it off. I did like some things about Your Lie in April (another series that revolves around music) so hopefully Sounds of Life will be enjoyable too Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1