• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Creator Koyoharu Gotouge Wants to Make Sci-Fi Romantic Comedy N

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see what she comes up with. And at least she's willing to expand on her horizons, most authors who do Battle Shonen usually end up sticking to just that, sometimes it works and sometimes it's to their own detriment
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope that doesn't happen the same thing that happened with Kishimoto and Samurai 8, well, maybe not if she's not planning on publishing it in WSJ...it's most likely tho.
cchigu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
She writes a manga --> nobody gives a shit --> Ufotable --> Best thing since food. Like a boss. Ez.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Go for it, Gotouge-san. Bring out the beefcake.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
She writes a manga --> nobody gives a shit --> Ufotable --> Best thing since food. Like a boss. Ez.

Basically. The story wasn't anything too special, but the animation of the Anime was so nice. This next series will probably sell well just from the hype from KnY
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'd read it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

Basically. The story wasn't anything too special, but the animation of the Anime was so nice. This next series will probably sell well just from the hype from KnY

The level of salt over this series will never cease to amaze me.
Nanashi95

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

To be honest, the manga wasn't even that good. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not that good. The art even was really ugly at some points. It was the anime adaptation that was so high quality that turned this manga into something really amazing.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
For me, knowing that she hadn't quit making manga is good news enough.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Nanashi95 wrote:
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

To be honest, the manga wasn't even that good. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not that good. The art even was really ugly at some points. It was the anime adaptation that was so high quality that turned this manga into something really amazing.

'Story' is just one thing, and what manga readers perceive of the story seems to mostly touch the outer(most) layer. There's something special in the details buried under the 'typical shounen story', that I don't often see in shounen titles, and even surprised me at some points. Ufotable's 'look' is pleasant to the eyes, but I'll personally always fall in love with the manga and its subtlety (and the art, I used to think it was ugly but was I wrong).
Mm-17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

IKR? I don't think One Piece deserves all those manga sales it got, but I don't go bitch about it in every One Piece related topic.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

Man, I don't even like this show, and I still think this is a silly thing to say. No way does anything become this popular just because of good animation. More to the point, they wouldn't chuck a high-quality animation budget at it if they didn't think it would succeed, or if the manga wasn't already selling well.

Still, though, I'll have to wait for a future life as an energetic teenage boy to actually understand why the Naruto genre is so incredibly popular.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
-SP- wrote:
cchigu wrote:

Salt? Go ahead tell me how popular the series was prior to the Anime. You probably didn't even know the series existed. If the story was so good, why was the Anime the main reason for it's popularity?
kotomikun wrote:

Man, I don't even like this show, and I still think this is a silly thing to say. No way does anything become this popular just because of good animation. More to the point, they wouldn't chuck a high-quality animation budget at it if they didn't think it would succeed, or if the manga wasn't already selling well.

Still, though, I'll have to wait for a future life as an energetic teenage boy to actually understand why the Naruto genre is so incredibly popular.

The sales before the Anime weren't bad but the total copies in print were only around 5 million, now after that Anime, and the movie, that number is over 40 million.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

The sales before the Anime weren't bad but the total copies in print were only around 5 million, now after that Anime, and the movie, that number is over 40 million.

Bruh, tf are you talking about, "only 5 million" for a manga series with no anime is actually great and that's why they saw potential and decided to make the anime. I'm not saying it's an outstanding and revolutionary piece of work or that is not full of clichés, but the series did pretty well its thing in terms of storyline, feels and lore, and of course most part of its popularity is due to the adaptation, like, say 90% of manga adapted to anime, but it wouldn't be that succesful if it was just due to good animation.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
-SP- wrote:

Bruh, tf are you talking about, "only 5 million" for a manga series with no anime is actually great and that's why they saw potential and decided to make the anime. I'm not saying it's an outstanding and revolutionary piece of work or that is not full of clichés, but the series did pretty well its thing in terms of storyline, feels and lore, and of course most part of its popularity is due to the adaptation, like, say 90% of manga adapted to anime, but it wouldn't be that succesful if it was just due to good animation.

Again I didn't say it was bad, but compared to what it is now, it was nothing. Just go look at how the chapters ranked prior to the Anime. The series is now greatly more popular than other SJ series such as MHA,PN, Haikyu!! OPM, and even outsold OP a few times, even though most of those series have better stories in my opinion and sold so much better prior to it's Anime. The Anime is responsible for most of this series popularity, even Fate had a huge boost thanks to Ufotable's Animation even though it was already popular
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2