• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wonder Egg Priority Director Shares Cut Context for Mannequins' Sexist Dialogue Scene in E

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
If we're looking at the context of that conversation, I think it's important to remember Neiru's line that starts it. She asks Acca what's going on and says that there "shouldn't" be any boys in a way that implies that a boy being there would contradict something she'd previously been told by Acca. We don't see how anyone but Ai first encounters Acca and the eggs, so how the situation was presented to them is still a mystery. (Rika also mistakes Momoe for a boy but thinks that makes sense, so clearly she wasn't told whatever Neiru was.)

Yay that is a very good point. honestly this is just yet another set of worms that REALLY should get addressed ASAP when the director is quite possible digging an even bigger terf hole to throw Neiru into. which could become a big problem fast when the show is about trauma and gender.

Listening to Neiru's line in Japanese again ("どういうこと?男子はいないはずよ") now makes me think that she's just trying to call Acca out on an apparent contradiction, and the whole speech that follows is essentially Acca derailing her question. Ura-Acca's line about not discriminating doesn't really seem to follow from Acca's speech, either. In that sense, I think Neiru's disgusted "はあ?" at the end is not just at Acca's speech, but at Ura-Acca reframing her question as discriminatory as a way to avoid really answering it (and at Rika going along with that).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote
Then funimation really needs to correct their subs so they don't make characters sound like terfs on accident
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there a scene where she is in a girls school uniform? Even if she is trans and I wouldn't comment either way since we don't have enough info. I find it hard to believe a Japanese school would be so open minded. But at the end of the day not sure it really matters. Also not sure why the scene needed explaining (not that there is much of an explanation) isn't it obvious Acca is a jerk at this point?
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Momoe is just a butch cis lesbian. She talks and styles herself in a masculine way so she occasionally gets mistaken for a boy. I did get the impression that she might have considered being a trans boy, but decided against it.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
No, no, no, Director, that line makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! Please have the characters disagree with “accepted knowledge” like Acca’s BS gender essentialist suicide line as *clearly and unambiguously* as possible! Lots of people believe what Acca said, and letting it stand unchallenged made me wonder whether the show agreed. It wouldn’t be the first time an anime reinforced problematic and scientifically unsound ideas about gender. This anime deals with trauma, suicide, gender, and mental health (and LGBT+ issues, although it hasn’t confirmed Momoe’s identity yet—she could be a trans girl AMAB, or AFAB non-binary, or a cis girl taking on a “prince” role) and these sensitive topics that affect people in real life give the show all the more reason to spell out that it doesn’t ascribe to these assumptions.

This show is interesting precisely because its main characters aren't perfect and don't all share the same philosophy. Having them "clearly and unambiguously" dispense moral truths at every opportunity turns them from interesting characters into political mouthpieces. I'd like to think storytelling in anime has moved on from Sailor Moon Says.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
So my problem with a blanket statement being a blanket statement regarding suicide was "corrected" by a second blanket statement but one going in the opposite direction that was cut for time.

When you're in a hole, don't dig yourself deeper!

For people who are fine with the second blanket statement "When it comes to their brains, boys and girls are also the same", please explain so in scientific terms and not through what you want the situation to be. Just from what I know of the Endocrine system has me facepalming on that second statement.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 am Reply with quote
This had me deeply confused. I hope the DVDs and Blu-Rays include the rest of the line.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Then funimation really needs to correct their subs so they don't make characters sound like terfs on accident

I'm not a big fan of most of their subs but I tend to shrug most of it off. This isn't the first time the subs sounding misleading from what I've seen. However, I do think you are right. I know Funi wouldn't want any character or themselves to be sounding terf-ish.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:06 am Reply with quote
ChomboTheMahjongSpider wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
No, no, no, Director, that line makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! Please have the characters disagree with “accepted knowledge” like Acca’s BS gender essentialist suicide line as *clearly and unambiguously* as possible! Lots of people believe what Acca said, and letting it stand unchallenged made me wonder whether the show agreed. It wouldn’t be the first time an anime reinforced problematic and scientifically unsound ideas about gender. This anime deals with trauma, suicide, gender, and mental health (and LGBT+ issues, although it hasn’t confirmed Momoe’s identity yet—she could be a trans girl AMAB, or AFAB non-binary, or a cis girl taking on a “prince” role) and these sensitive topics that affect people in real life give the show all the more reason to spell out that it doesn’t ascribe to these assumptions.

This show is interesting precisely because its main characters aren't perfect and don't all share the same philosophy. Having them "clearly and unambiguously" dispense moral truths at every opportunity turns them from interesting characters into political mouthpieces. I'd like to think storytelling in anime has moved on from Sailor Moon Says.

The anime fandom at large doesn't deserve any subtlety about things like this, because they'll just argue until the cows come home that because something wasn't stated explicitly then it isn't true and anyone who argues otherwise (i.e. actually is capable of recognizing basic shit) is just some evil people who care about social justice trying to shove things down their throat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
Is this really an issue? Acca and Ura-acca aren't supposed to be good characters. And Neiru is clearly pissed off. So it's not like the show is condoning this.

It's like sexism can't even exist in media these days.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
It would be good if the show presents an exception to those generalizing statements and shows that a boy can be there motivated by his emotions, but I am repelled by the idea that a boy is added to the group quite a dilemma
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 am Reply with quote
My interpretation of the scene was completely different. I felt Neiru's "What?" was referring to Rika telling her not to discriminate against boys if boys do in fact start showing up, not to what Acca and Ura-Acca were saying about boys VS girls.

Rosiero wrote:
The anime fandom at large doesn't deserve any subtlety about things like this, because they'll just argue until the cows come home that because something wasn't stated explicitly then it isn't true and anyone who argues otherwise (i.e. actually is capable of recognizing basic shit) is just some evil people who care about social justice trying to shove things down their throat.

I mean, given what people are saying about the characters sexualities and gender identities that does indeed tend to be the case. Just going off what we know so far, a bunch of girls saying "I find Adam's Apples sexy" being lesbians is pretty unlikely Maybe they're bisexual and it'll be revealed later, or there will just be typical yuri bait content, but people insisting anything about the characters right now are clearly trying to push a certain view as canon or definitive. People should at least wait until the series ends and we have all the fact.

Personally, as far as Momoe goes, I think it's a bit obvious she's not trans but she started dressing masculine either consciously or subconsciously after that flashback incident where she was being hit on when she used to dress as a typical girl. Probably subconsciously since she gets annoyed when she gets mistaken for a boy since if it was intentional she should be happy she gets mistaken for a boy so people won't hit on her/molest her. But again, I won't say that as 100% fact until the series ends but that kind of story has been told before where a girl dresses down or cross-dresses to avoid sexual attention, so that's where I think the series is headed for her character personally.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:05 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
I know Funi wouldn't want any character or themselves to be sounding terf-ish.

Why not? The protagonist of the most popular currently-airing anime is a war criminal, and Funi are fine with that. Depiction isn't endorsement.

Rosiero wrote:

Then it's a good thing that not everything has to be targeted at "the anime fandom at large", isn't it?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
For people who are fine with the second blanket statement "When it comes to their brains, boys and girls are also the same", please explain so in scientific terms and not through what you want the situation to be. Just from what I know of the Endocrine system has me facepalming on that second statement.

I think Neiru is meant to be speaking more casually here, not citing scientific papers about how the endocrine system affects male and female brains differently. So to me, Neiru is challenging the assertion that boy's and girl's suicides are "different" because she thinks they are more similar than different went it comes to feeling mental trauma. They may very well process trauma differently thanks to a whole host of societal pressures and expectations, but the root cause of mental anguish doesn't differ much between boys and girls.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Aniplex does the subtitles for their own shows, and they're usually a lot less good than Funi's. I think Wonder Egg is fine though.

I don't think I can say Momoe is trans from what the show has given us thus far. I think that scene was more about sexism. Like "oh, women don't dress that way, you must be a boy". I think Momoe wants to be free of those rigid gender roles. She wants to be confident in her identity even though she doesn't follow all the expected roles of women.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So my problem with a blanket statement being a blanket statement regarding suicide was "corrected" by a second blanket statement but one going in the opposite direction that was cut for time.

When you're in a hole, don't dig yourself deeper!

But...the director chimed in to clarify that they indeed don't condone the 2nd statement,he just thought it was clear based on the characters reactions,but apparently a lot of people needed clarification so he flat out told us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4