• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Evangelion Film Briefly Listed as 154 Minutes Long With G Rating

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kae kurono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Final Yamato is still longer but eva came close its like anno is competing with final yamato's runtime since yamato is his fave anime series.

Quote:
Evangelion has always been a children's show.

No..definitely not most mecha anime after gundam typically was aimed at die hard otaku. eva's main audience was man child otaku most of which was just getting back into anime because of eva.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess I just expected something extreme like EoE in this movie as befitting a finale, but if Shinji's actual, literal cum is also considered "for general audiences"... um, ok. I wouldn't say that's using more "common sense", personally, and consider the suggestion rather disturbing. Kids should watch Eva as part of growing up, but I kinda don't think on-screen masturbation should be marketed to children (kind of a shocking thing to have to say, really).

I can get why the other Rebuilds were rated this way though, I just worried that Rebuild might wish to abandon its roots to make the Brand friendlier (and I really like Rebuild); twice now in the past some 'fanwork guidelines' posted by Khara have said not to make anything too violent or sexually explicit, which precludes engaging with the actual content of Eva no matter what they're rated I would think.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
Quote:
Evangelion has always been a children's show.

No..definitely not most mecha anime after gundam typically was aimed at die hard otaku. eva's main audience was man child otaku most of which was just getting back into anime because of eva.

Wasn't it initially aired during prime time, and then later they moved the time slot to late at night.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
"Who was it made for" and "Who did executives think it was for" are separate questions. In my book Eva's always been for teens. I'd be interested to know what anime movies are rated above G in Japan though if Eva films have always been G. I sure wouldn't recommend these movies to any 8 year old.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Lol, rating systems are so pointless. It’s got nothing to do with morality. I worked in a theater for years and I can promise you that 90% of parents don’t bother lookingat them, he ce why a bunch if parents took their kids to see Pan’s Labyrinth. Pretty much every animated movie out here is rated PG because Shrek and Lilo & Stitch blew away every G rated animated film at the box office, so naturally they figure PG movies make more money so now everything gets a PG even if it’s clearly kid friendly.

I hate this because now people are shocked at even the slightest bit of afult content in a “kids” film to the point that parents forget all of the messed up shit they grew up with.

With all that said, looking forward to the new Eva movie!
That's Big!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Pretty sure they even did a 'baton passing' commercial once, but I can't remember exactly it's been ages.

You probably mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIRBgEoOb0

A lot of American movies also get a general rating in Japan, some people would probably balk at. What's acceptable for kids is a lot more lenient than in the west.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
What’s the age rating for Demon Slayer? Because apparently it is rumored to be getting an R rating by the MPAA Laughing

As other's have pointed out, the Japanese rating board, ERIN has different standards than what the MPAA (here in America) does. Their G rating is pretty common on a lot of anime films (as others have mentioned, the other Rebuild movies are G rated) that would probably get higher ratings here in the U.S. As a matter of fact, Demon Slayer movie actually does have an R-rating here the States.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
What’s the age rating for Demon Slayer? Because apparently it is rumored to be getting an R rating by the MPAA Laughing

The Demon Slayer movie is actually rated PG-12, believe it or not. Funny that it has a higher rating than End of Evangelion.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Does the G stand for GODDAMN! in Japan?

Did I do this joke before? I'm feeling a little deja vu here. And I don't feel like checking my post history.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the G was for Gainax
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
IMDb has End of Evangelion listed as R-15 in Japan, apparently that's incorrect?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169858/parentalguide

Demon Slayer movie:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11032374/parentalguide

Quote:
Australia:MA15+
Hong Kong:IIB
Indonesia:17+
Japan:PG12 (self-applied)
New Zealand:R13
Philippines:R-16 (uncut)
Singapore:NC16
Turkey:18+
United Kingdom:15
United States:R (certificate #53039, dubbed version)
United States:R (certificate #53040, subtitled version)
Vietnam:C13

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited by nDroae on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The final movie is the longest. No surprise there especially with long lit took to come out. Yugioh The Dark Side of Dimensions was 2 hr 10 mins, and it took me 6 hours to finish it on my first watch (pause, rewind, and dissecting it). I recently rewatched the Evangelion series back in November or so and it took me an hour for each episode and even longer for EoE. Am I a slow watcher? No. My watching style just changed and this movie will take me a good 3 days to finish (50-ish mins each before the last act).
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Reading all this made me take a look at my copy of the Natsume Yuujinchou movie (official English subbed distributed by Aniplex of America), and it's rated 13+...which I don't think is necessary considering there's nothing I would say is inappropriate for children under 13.

Sometimes the ratings Americans assign (official or not) genuinely confuse me. MAL put How to Keep a Mummy as PG-13 even though IMO it's more like PG-6.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
An anime that is theJapanese version of "G" or "PG" could be PG-13 or R-rated here in the U.S. Concerning the article mentioning anime movies that are over 154 minutes long, those lengths also put them on the list for the longest animated movies overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2