• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Film Earns US$3 Million in Thursday Preview Screenings in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
I had a good time with this movie and I'm already hoping for a sequel. Anxious to see what spoiler[Tails ends up doing.]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 am Reply with quote
I expected pure trash from this film and only pirated it to get context for a Jim Sterling podcast. I instead got a mediocre 90s kids film instead. It´s somewhat watchable, I’ll admit that. High praise for the genre and even Sonic.

Mortal Kombat still remains as the best live-action game adaptation to date. Advent Children Compete and Kingsglaive are the best overall ones, outside of TV´s very own Castlevania of course. Silent Hill, Phoenix Wright Detective Pikachu are also ok.

Edit: The Cinema Score:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I expected pure trash from this film and only pirated it to get context for a Jim Sterling podcast. I instead got a mediocre 90s kids film instead. It´s somewhat watchable, I’ll admit that. High praise for the genre and even Sonic.

Mortal Kombat still remains as the best live-action game adaptation to date. Advent Children Compete and Kingsglaive are the best overall ones, outside of TV´s very own Castlevania of course. Silent Hill, Phoenix Wright Detective Pikachu are also ok.

Edit: The Cinema Score:

And Sonic now has the highest CinemaScore of any video game based film.

Super Mario Bros. (1993) - B+

Street Fighter (1994)- B-

Mortal Kombat (1995)- A-

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) - C+

Wing Commander (1999)- D

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)- B

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) - C+

Resident Evil (2002) - B

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life (2003)- B-

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)- B

Alone in the Dark (2005) - F

Doom (2005) - B-

Silent Hill (2006) - C

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) - B-

Hitman (2007) - B

Max Payne (2008)- C

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) - B

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) - B-

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012) - C

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) - C+

Need for Speed (2014) - B+

Hitman: Agent 47 (2015) - B

Warcraft (2016) - B+

Assassin’s Creed (2016) - B+

Ratchet and Clank (2016) - B

Angry Birds (2016) - B+

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017) - B

Tomb Raider (2018) - B

Rampage (2018) - A-

Detective Pikachu (2019) - A-

Angry Birds 2 (2019) - B+

From MichaelTheCutts on reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/f3y55w/the_cinemascores_of_every_hollywood_video_game/
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
FF:TSW got a C+?

Awfully generous for a movie that,in my opinion,had nothing at all to do with FInal Fantasy.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Piracy isn't exactly something to openly brag about though... Confused
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:

Awfully generous for a movie that,in my opinion,had nothing at all to do with FInal Fantasy.

C+ is an atrocious rating it's also given by the general audience not FF fans.

For example a 'B' CinemaScore is pretty mediocre for anything but a horror film.

Only 21 films have ever received an F score and 89 an A+ in 40 years.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
A C+ is shockingly high for Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Wing Commander got a D Laughing . Ah Chris Roberts. No wonder that he was run out of Hollywood. Uwe Boll even got an F. They should have polled more of his so-called "films".

B+ is still somewhat ok for a genre film but already a problem. Unless you make a deliberately transgressive film like Joker. Meaning that an A to maybe a B+ (and I am being generous) is what studios will credit as a job well done for their directors/producers. Box-office is all that counts of course.
Game movies thus fell though the floor BIG time and Resident Evil is easily the biggest game to film success so far due to the fairly low budgets and China starting to bite as they went on.
The SC FAQ and these tend to correspond the box-office potential of (genre) films:
https://www.cinemascore.com/cinemascores/
Like for real. Paramount might have lucked out with the CG fice/body swap. RIP poor VFX slaves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Mortal Kombat still remains as the best live-action game adaptation to date. Advent Children Compete and Kingsglaive are the best overall ones,

Do these even count as adaptations considering they're both tied to specific Final Fantasies they're based off of instead of being completely new re-imaginings/retellings?

wingweaver84 wrote:

No worse than Doom and Street Fighter both getting a B-
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
I've yet to watch this new Sonic movie, but I've watched and been entertained by Mortal Kombat, the first Tomb Raider movie, and the first Resident Evil movie was alright, I guess. I'm at least hoping this movie can be like them for more reasons than just Jim Carrey doing his thing.

I honestly don't remember how I felt about The Spirits Within, other than that it didn't really feel like a Final Fantasy anything save for a few visual references.

And Mortal Kombat Annihilation was awful, Wing Commander was so unmemorable that I can't remember a single thing from it, while the second Tomb Raider movie was... well... I only remembering wanting to like it as much as I did the first movie, but couldn't quite manage to do it. And the Doom movie was just.... stupid and boring.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I've always found CinemaScore to be on of the worst rating systems based on my tastes, and yeah that list only further confirms it. Silent Hill (pretty good) and Silent Hill Revelation (my most hated movie, but even ignoring its original source material it's just a bad movie regardless) get the same score? Seriously? And Mortal Kombat Annihilation gets rated higher than Silent Hill 1? Who's making these choices, because even people who didn't care for Silent Hill's first movie did not have the level of hate towards it that MK Annihilation got.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
After the effort they put in to edit the film, I'm happy for the studio.

As far as FF: The Spirits Within. I haven't seen it in forever, but as a casual Final Fantasy fan, I enjoyed it a lot when I first saw it.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I've always found CinemaScore to be on of the worst rating systems based on my tastes, and yeah that list only further confirms it. Silent Hill (pretty good) and Silent Hill Revelation (my most hated movie, but even ignoring its original source material it's just a bad movie regardless) get the same score? Seriously? And Mortal Kombat Annihilation gets rated higher than Silent Hill 1? Who's making these choices, because even people who didn't care for Silent Hill's first movie did not have the level of hate towards it that MK Annihilation got.

CinemaScore really just boils down to a polling of what the audience thought movie was going to be about base on the advertising. A movie getting an A CinemaScore doesn't necessarily translate to a good movie.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of CinemaScore before this thread. It's supposed to be some Rotten Tomatoes alternative because of their recent shenanigans?Either way, it's at 95% on RT's user score so it lines up.

Movie looks dumb to me, but I suppose that's why people are seeing it and liking it and it's probably fun for that reason. After all, "so bad it's good" has been Sonic the Hedgehog's MO for the past 14 years.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I've never even heard of CinemaScore before this thread. It's supposed to be some Rotten Tomatoes alternative because of their recent shenanigans?Either way, it's at 95% on RT's user score so it lines up.
CinemaScore was founded as a marketing research firm in 1979 and Rotten Tomatoes was founded in 1998. But this thread only reinforces why I find audience scores to be useless in gauging a movie's quality. Even putting aside review bombing drama, the audience score always seem to reflect an audience's hype for a movie rather than what they actually felt about the film. The film critic score on Rotten Tomatoes currently gives the Sonic movie a fresh 64% which isn't that far off from Detective Pikachu which was 69%.

Quote:
Movie looks dumb to me, but I suppose that's why people are seeing it and liking it and it's probably fun for that reason. After all, "so bad it's good" has been Sonic the Hedgehog's MO for the past 14 years.
Most film critic and fan reaction to the movie has been fairly positive and the consensus seems to be that it's not a perfect movie but it's an entertaining homage to 90s family films with a lot of surprising hidden Easter eggs to the games in the film.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The movie was so cute and fun and I smiled, laughed, and cried throughout it. Easily a fun and memorable movie and an original storyline/origin story that worked well.

Has to be Jim Carey's best performance yet. Sonic voice, couldnt get Ducktales out of my head for it, but by the end I grew to love his voice and lines. Writing was plenty strong too, great jokes for all, so witty.

Praying we get a sequel.

GottaGoFast
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2