Forum - View topic
Final Evangelion Film Briefly Listed as 154 Minutes Long With G Rating


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pachy_boy



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1238
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 am Reply with quote
If true, this is an unusually long running time for an animated film--while also making me even more excited for this final Eva entry! Maybe this explains why the upcoming soundtrack release is 3-CD's-long? Here's to waiting just a little bit longer...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arale Kurashiki



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 650
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
Sure hope/assume that G is a placeholder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joa



Joined: 25 Jul 2015
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Sure hope/assume that G is a placeholder.

The other three Rebuild movies are also rated G.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rdImpakt



Joined: 03 Apr 2014
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Sure hope/assume that G is a placeholder.


What makes you say that? As stated in the article, all the other films (including 2.0 with intense entrail ripping, head bursting, strangling) were G rated. I can't find the original Japanese age rating for End of Evangelion, so I'd love for someone to post a link here about that.

An important thing we should know is if Japan's Film Classification and Rating Organization (Eirin) has ever "leaked" or accidentally posted information in the past. Did it end up being correct? This is great news as far as runtime is concerned but do we have something to compare this news to as far as legitimacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joa



Joined: 25 Jul 2015
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Sure hope/assume that G is a placeholder.


What makes you say that? As stated in the article, all the other films (including 2.0 with intense entrail ripping, head bursting, strangling) were G rated. I can't find the original Japanese age rating for End of Evangelion, so I'd love for someone to post a link here about that.

Eirin used a different rating system until 1998. End of Evangelion was rated 一般映画 (Movie for General Audiences) which is equivalent to G in the new system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rdImpakt



Joined: 03 Apr 2014
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
That's great to know, thank you! Also a bit crazy/awesome haha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TsukasaElkKite



Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 3418
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
A G rating? Um...that's not right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
intermediateO



Joined: 16 Feb 2021
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
I can't find the original Japanese age rating for End of Evangelion, so I'd love for someone to post a link here about that.


They actually re-released Death(True)² and End of Evangelion last month here in Japan as a limited engagement in theaters, so Eirin actually has gone and rated them properly now. And yup yup, they're also rated G.
https://www.eirin.jp/list/index.php?title=エヴァンゲリオン&eirin_no=&s_year=2009&s_month=1&e_year=2021&e_month=12&x=87&y=39

I'm actually kinda surprised Eirin took down the entry for Shin Evangelion. I guess that means it was a genuine unintended leak.


{Mod Edit}: We don't allow for personal promotion here without approval from the staff first. ~ Psycho 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erufailon4



Joined: 18 Jun 2019
Posts: 74
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
The runtime is indeed long by anime standards (I think Studio Ghibli's longest movie, Kaguya-hime no Monogatari, is around 140 mins), but I'm not really surprised since I was expecting it to be longer than the other Rebuilds. At least it's not 6 hours lol

Eirin's website seems to be down right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Napul



Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 32
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Sure hope/assume that G is a placeholder.

G rating from Eirin is not same thing as G rating from MPAA. Eirin has little different values in how they judge movies. And I dare to say that they use far more of common sense during that. Unlike rigid MPAA that can do shit their pants from any drops of blood or other sometime absurd logic regarding to how they judge what is appropriate for children to see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SP654



Joined: 07 Apr 2020
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
Too bad it’s still delayed until probably 2024!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pachy_boy



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1238
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
SP654 wrote:
Too bad it’s still delayed until probably 2024!!!

Where did you hear this (unless meant to be a joke)?

Also, it genuinely surprises me that the 'G' rating seems to stick out to people moreso than the possibility that we're getting a 2 1/2-hour-long Evangelion movie--the possibilities feel almost endless with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SP654



Joined: 07 Apr 2020
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Of course but at the rate they’re going it might as well be 2024
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 991
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
What’s the age rating for Demon Slayer? Because apparently it is rumored to be getting an R rating by the MPAA Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AmpersandsUnited



Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 367
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
What’s the age rating for Demon Slayer? Because apparently it is rumored to be getting an R rating by the MPAA Laughing


Wouldn't be the first time a kids show in Japan got an M/R rating in the west.

Evangelion has always been a children's show. The original TV anime aired along side a Japanese dub of the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in Japan. Ninja Turtles and Evangelion, yeah. Pretty sure they even did a 'baton passing' commercial once, but I can't remember exactly it's been ages. Obviously everyone who grew up with it back then are adults in their 30s now, but there's still new people getting into Evangelion through the Rebuild films and going back to watch the TV series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group