• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Evangelion Film Rescheduled to March 8 After 2 COVID-19 Delays

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The movie will just be two hours of “congratulations”.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
this will be one of the most important releases in this medium's history

I think that's a pretty big overstatement of the Eva films, and their actual impact on the industry, at this point. There might have been a chance at Eva reasserting itself as one of the pinnacle titles in the medium when the movies first started to come out. Between delays, more delays, changes, bad plots, poor character development, and yet more delays this feels more like a title dragging itself across the finish line while everyone else finished the race hours ago and already left to get juice and lunch.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, 2 and a half hours! I never heard of an Anime film that long. I hope it's at least good. Mr. Anno's track record with ending a show, despite his genius, was hit and miss. He ended NADIA with a bang, but both EVANGELION and HIS AND HER CIRCUMSTANCES ended disappointingly.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
3rd month for the 3rd impact. Only fitting.
Gomiyaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
covid19 - the most convenient excuse ever. i bet they're gonna delay it again, maybe to summer or fall after this one.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Wow, 2 and a half hours! I never heard of an Anime film that long. I hope it's at least good. Mr. Anno's track record with ending a show, despite his genius, was hit and miss. He ended NADIA with a bang, but both EVANGELION and HIS AND HER CIRCUMSTANCES ended disappointingly.

Amazingly, there have been at least four other anime films that are longer, including Revival of Evangelion.

animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2021-02-16/final-evangelion-film-briefly-listed-as-154-minutes-long-with-g-rating/.169564
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Delays thrice times the charm!
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Gomiyaro wrote:
covid19 - the most convenient excuse ever. i bet they're gonna delay it again, maybe to summer or fall after this one.

Is this a troll post?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

I disagree, heavily
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

Tbf, His and Her Circumstances' ending was (Not) of his involvement. The author was (Not) happy with the direction the series was taking with the focus on humor rather than drama and forced the anime to end without a continuation; course in hindsight now it's probably for the best, seeing as how it infamously tackled rape, but I'm (Not) getting into that.

As for the original Eva ending...well, which one? You get the out-of-left-field happy ending, or the kill'em all and let God sort'em out ending, each with its fair share of detractors. Also the Let It Go ending if you count the manga.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

Which ending? If you mean the original TV series ending, then intriguing as it was, yeah I'd agree with you. But if you meant End of Eva The Movie, then, whoa bro... I mean... maybe some people were unhappy with the way things turned out, but I am certainly not in that camp.

I'm also enjoying the heck out of the Rebuild films! I'm look forward to a grand 2+ hours.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion literally had one of the greatest, most memorable endings I've ever seen in my entire life (if we're talking about Ene). Period. You can call it "gory", "pretentious", "depressing" or "too complex" but "dissapointing"... not sure what should have happened to make the ending "satisfying" then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2