• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Game Reveals PS5 Version in June With Extra Episode Featuring Yuffie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those who own the PlayStation 4 version of the game will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version for free, but will have to purchase the Yuffie episode separately (upgrading the game in Japan from PS4 to PS5 will cost 100 yen or approximately US$1). Those with PS4 versions of the game can carry over their save data to the PS5 version.

nice! also finally gives me an excuse to buy a PS5(if i can find one Razz )
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
They are incorporating Dirge of Cerberus into the remake. Why? It was bad and deserves to be forgotten. Please don't let Crisis Core slip into this as well...
kytten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
So part 2 is not coming to PS4. Coolcoolcool, guess that means i can get rid of my PS4. Rolling Eyes
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
kytten wrote:
So part 2 is not coming to PS4. Coolcoolcool, guess that means i can get rid of my PS4. Rolling Eyes

Awhile back Square made statements saying they're committed to releasing all parts of the Remake on PS4.

Maybe that could've changed. But depending on when this game launches and the state of PS5 sales, PS4 still has a sizable base.

So far the Yuffie content is not said to be coming to PS4. But knowing how coy Sony's being with trying to get you to think many cross-gen games are PS5-only... the only reason not to bring the Yuffie content to PS4 is because Square is doing things only possible on PS5. But I highly doubt that.

If I had to guess, it's just a limited time PS5 exclusivity deal to get people to move over, much like how the Remake is also a timed exclusive for PS4.

That said, just for the load time alone, the PS5 version would be preferable provided you own one.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
They are incorporating Dirge of Cerberus into the remake. Why? It was bad and deserves to be forgotten. Please don't let Crisis Core slip into this as well...

The Remake already incorporated or acknowledged quite a few aspects of the old FF7 Compilation in the main narrative. If they can actually improve on elements of the old spinoffs, then more power to them. Considering how many changes they made for to the original narrative for Remake anyway, I'm at least confident they won't just straight-up transplant Dirge (or any of the other titles) as-is into the Remake. If they ever get to that point in the timeline, it'll probably be quite different.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure they already mentioned events relating to Crisis Core. At the very least, they mentioned the Wutai branch of AVALANCHE attempting to assassinate President Shinra which were the events of Before Crisis.

Glad to see Yuffie's design and outfit pretty much perfect and 1:1 to her original look. Probably the first game to make me want a PS5. Too bad it'll be a pain to actually find one now.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote
By the time Intergrade releases in June the PS5 will have sold up to ~700k in Japan. Thats not cutting it with a release like this especially when Sony isn't even prioritizing Japan in regards to stock. The DLC should have been on PS4 as well, where the game sold over 1m. How will those 1m current owners (or a majority) buy the game when the PS5 is at ~700k.

kytten wrote:

They literally announced FF16 as a PS5 exclusive last year. That should have told you that they are moving to PS5 with their FF titles. Not sure why you still thought Part 2 was coming to PS4 when by time it releases it would be around late 2022-2023.

Last edited by Rob19ny on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

It's not like the new story beats in the "remake" are any better than the Compilation stuff.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Because FFVII's story writers have the infuriating habit of trying to make everyone accept their bad decisions instead of realizing it didn't work and moving on like a non-egoist would.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
By the time Intergrade releases in June the PS5 will have sold up to ~700k in Japan. Thats not cutting it with a release like this especially when Sony isn't even prioritizing Japan in regards to stock. The DLC should have been on PS4 as well, where the game sold over 1m. How will those 1m current owners (or a majority) buy the game when the PS5 is at ~700k.

kytten wrote:

They literally announced FF16 as a PS5 exclusive last year. That should have told you that they are moving to PS5 with their FF titles. Not sure why you still thought Part 2 was coming to PS4 when by time it releases it would be around late 2022-2023.

Square themselves in an interview stated that they planned to bring the entire FFVII REmake to PS4 back when they announced the project was going to be split up into parts and it was close to next-gen and people were asking them that question. I wouldn't put it past them to completely renege on that statement, but with the install bases being so low for PS5 which I expect will be the case for quite some time with slower Japanese uptake, especially now that we know that Sony is pretty much shutting down their entire Japanese Development studios with the exception of ASOBI, and the contracts of notable creators like Toyama left and before him Ueada to go off and form their own independent studios.

FFXVI and Athea are definitely aimed at taking advantage of PS5 hardware and therefore won't be possible on PS4. But is the same to be said for FFVIIRE-Part 2? My guess is that development for Part 2 and Part 3 were all already being planned out for PS4 while back and will be cross-gen releases. The Yuffie DLC is likely also timed exclusive for PS5 and will come to PS4 probably at the same time as Part 1 releases on Xbox after the supposed 2-year exclusivity ends, and close to the release of Part 2. That's my guess.

Sony probably hopes to have more supply of PS5 by the summer, especially in Japan where they are banking on having the PS5 version of FFVII with Yuffie ready to go.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

My best guess is they'll get by?

AiddonValentine wrote:

Because FFVII's story writers have the infuriating habit of trying to make everyone accept their bad decisions instead of realizing it didn't work and moving on like a non-egoist would.

This presumes that most of the Final Fantasy fanbase isn't any less self centered. Complaining about how the Remake pisses on their childhood for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1