• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bunny Drop's Yumi Unita Ends Para Para Days Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anstar019

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So, How was the ending ??? I haven't read this one.

The scale is: "Usagi drop" to 10.
me_barron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
How much incest is there in this one?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

Hard to say, the publication was irregular, it's not licensed and there's not even a fan-translation.

me_barron wrote:
How much incest is there in this one?

There's no tags to that effect on M-U.

There's plenty of great incest-themed manga out there, but unfortunately a dearth of them are licensed, Koi Kaze must have been a strange mishap. At least they're pretty good covered by fan-translations...
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
wonder if any teenage girls ended up banging their dads in this one
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
anstar019 wrote:

It must be really hard, as a creator, to be so permanently associated with something so notoriously... divisive?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

It must be really hard, as a creator, to be so permanently associated with something so notoriously... divisive?

I mean the obvious solution there is to not write such an abjectly terrible plot twist in the first place.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Let he who has never done anything embarrassingly edgey to court controversy cast the first stone.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
anstar019 wrote:

I don't think she particularly minds or cares, considering that the controversy is overwhelmingly in the Anglophone side of the fandom, at least as far as I'm aware, and I don't think she has much contact with that. (Disclaimer because people will definitely put words into my mouth if I don't add this: this is no judgement on whether the ending is good or not, or on people who like or dislike it for any reason. Personally I really, really dislike this particular trope, but clearly many people like it, so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

But for that matter, I wonder why Usagi Drop in particular became this memetic Terrible Incest Thing, when this trope is present in so many works that, for some reason, aren't as widely reviled in Anglophone anime circles. Honey and Clover for example, ends with Hagu deciding to be with Shuuji - and never mind Shuuji being her actual uncle who raised her, and Hagu being definitely somewhere on the spectrum and being extremely reliant on Shuuji for her mental and physical needs, this also means that Hagu basically decides not to step out into the real world and start living as an adult, but to close herself up in this weird relationship with Shuuji as her mental and physical carer/parent/romantic partner... and this is presented as sweet and even romantic. I found it creepy as hell back then and I think it's creepy as hell now, but I don't see people being so outraged about it as with Usagi Drop, and in fact Honey and Clover is one of the most acclaimed manga and anime out there. (And just another disclaimer, I really like Honey and Clover, but liking something doesn't mean one can't criticize it. That entire last segment of Honey and Clover was a series of really iffy choices, what with the Hagu twist, Mayama being rewarded for being a stalker, whatever that crazy sideplot was with Morita...)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for Honey and Clover since I'm not familiar with it, but I think so many people reacted so viscerally to Bunny Drop because it's a development that comes completely out of nowhere. Up to that point it's an incredibly wholesome story about a single man having this awesome responsibility thrust upon him and learning how to be a father...and then flash-forward to him choosing to pursue a romantic relationship with the girl he fed and bathed and raised and cared for as a little child. It's all kinds of squick and a textbook case of toxic power imbalance in a relationship. It adds absolutely nothing to the story and has no reason for being there. The only saving grace is that the anime adaptation ends before any of this happens, so it can be wholeheartedly recommended with a strong caveat to not continue further.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1