×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The irregular at magic high school Franchise's Reminiscence Arc Gets Anime




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Brook09



Joined: 10 Jan 2021
Posts: 66
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:08 am Reply with quote
Really good news as one of the best arc in the series gets it well deserved anime adaption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hexashadow13



Joined: 03 Nov 2019
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
Is this going to be a movie? An OVA would be too short but there's nowhere near enough material for a full cour. Also, this anime has the weirdest release order. After season 1 they randomly released a filler film that takes place after season 2, skipped this, released season 2, and are now releasing this. >_>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueAlf



Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 959
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
I agree. Their treatment of this franchise is head-scratching.

My best guess is a movie considering the way that volume was structured. But considering the current landscape, a mini-series or OVA would make sense too.

It'd be too short for TV anime though. Unless they combine it with other story arcs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluwm



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 397
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I agree. Their treatment of this franchise is head-scratching.


How so?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
beholder242



Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:
I agree. Their treatment of this franchise is head-scratching.


How so?


Because they're time-skipping around the early volumes of the LNs, or adding in new content outside of the LNs, worse than a Quentin Tarantino movie...

As a fan of this franchise, I'm glad to see that they're adapting more of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluwm



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 397
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
So is the anime not worth getting into? I've enjoyed the LNs, mostly, and was considering giving the anime adaptation a try....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AnimeFlyz



Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Posts: 249
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
There is no way this could be any more than a movie right? The book is way too short to make into a full season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hexashadow13



Joined: 03 Nov 2019
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
So is the anime not worth getting into? I've enjoyed the LNs, mostly, and was considering giving the anime adaptation a try....


The anime is mostly really good and pretty well made. If you're already familiar with the subject matter from the LNs the issues we were talking about regarding chronology won't be issues at all. The issues are mainly for the people watching just the anime.

To elaborate, season 1 adapts volumes 1-7. They then released a film that has Lina in it, and thus it has to be taking place after volume 11 at least. Thus, her presence is likely to be confusing for those just watching the anime. This would be somewhat understandable if they weren't going to release any more of the anime, but then they released season 2, which adapts volume 9-11. But Lina's presence, role, and ability usage in the film spoils parts of the story of season 2, though I suppose the anime acted like it was assumed that was spoiled already. On top of that, they skipped adapting volume 8, which while not strictly important from a story point of view does help in having some emotional beats in season 2 hit harder.

It feels like every time they make something, they make it with the expectation that it'll be the last thing they make, but it's surprisingly popular so they keep making more, and thus the order of releases is utterly random.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueAlf



Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 959
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 am Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:

The anime is mostly really good and pretty well made. If you're already familiar with the subject matter from the LNs the issues we were talking about regarding chronology won't be issues at all. The issues are mainly for the people watching just the anime.

To elaborate, season 1 adapts volumes 1-7. They then released a film that has Lina in it, and thus it has to be taking place after volume 11 at least. Thus, her presence is likely to be confusing for those just watching the anime. This would be somewhat understandable if they weren't going to release any more of the anime, but then they released season 2, which adapts volume 9-11. But Lina's presence, role, and ability usage in the film spoils parts of the story of season 2, though I suppose the anime acted like it was assumed that was spoiled already. On top of that, they skipped adapting volume 8, which while not strictly important from a story point of view does help in having some emotional beats in season 2 hit harder.

It feels like every time they make something, they make it with the expectation that it'll be the last thing they make, but it's surprisingly popular so they keep making more, and thus the order of releases is utterly random.


This explanation pretty much nails it.

I guess the order of things does make sense from a production standpoint. But story-wise, for the anime-only viewer, things could be pretty strange. I also understand how the source material isn't exactly the easiest to adapt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group