• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Manga Artist Praises the 'Vulgarity' of Mushoku Tensei's Setti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
[I say "decouple" in part because I suspect that's the idea that all this comes from -- that creepy sex stuff is just what slacker hikikomori do, y'know? When Rudeus stops setting off Lilia's chikan alarm in the WN, it seems to be the result of him trying to learn to read. So "taking life seriously" and "being a creeper" are sort of seen as opposites. Which is an interesting notion to say the least.

I agree. I wonder if that's meant to be a variation on "idle hands are the devil's workshop"? (At least I'm assuming that there is an equivalent idiom in Japanese.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
helln00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I say "decouple" in part because I suspect that's the idea that all this comes from -- that creepy sex stuff is just what slacker hikikomori do, y'know? When Rudeus stops setting off Lilia's chikan alarm in the WN, it seems to be the result of him trying to learn to read. So "taking life seriously" and "being a creeper" are sort of seen as opposites. Which is an interesting notion to say the least.

That is an interesting point though I think the anime's approach is a bit different, as is the manga's approach to the Lilia scene. The anime frame Lilia's acceptance of Rudeus as a bit of her wallowing in her own guilt and frames it like she was saved and forgiven by him, which is bit jarring since we know Rudeus's real motivations. ( idk if this is how the LN frames it). To me its framed a bit more as a give and take.

Th manga's framing is more explicitly about the family connection, with Rudeus talking to Lilia about what happened and commenting that he considers her part of the family(also apologizing for his father's behaviour, past and present).

Also from what I remember of the manga, he doesn't become less of a pervert, so I think the frame is less that "being a creeper" is the opposite "taking life seriously" but that if you take life seriously, your actions are less creepy to others.

edit: it feels a bit to me, comparing the approaches of the manga and that of the anime(and maybe the LN) that Rudeus is a bit more socially and internally functionable in the manga, which may tie in to why people tell me that the manga weakens Rudeus, since being functionable is I guess a normie trait, which makes me feel a bit sad thinking about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8