• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime's 2nd Video Reveals Opening Song, 2 Cast Members, April 1 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
No way I'll wait for a netflix patch. Let's hope a fansub group will commit to translating this show.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It sucks that a long-runner like the reboot is shaping up to be will be stuck in perpetual Netflix jail.

I at least hope they'll let NYAV Post handle dubbing so there's a possibility of bringing the original English dub cast back.

Or at the very least, the handful of actors who are still active or are willing to return while letting new talent have their shot.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
I know some folks are dissapointed that Netflix accquired the distribution rights and that means that we'll have to wait several months for the anime but a part of me is relieved to know that at least this means that the series will have a dub into Spanish as all Netflix's shows have. However that doesn't automatically means that the original voice actors are confirmed to return for the dub, I don't know if Netflix has the final saying in regards to the dubbing of the shows/movies they accquire, but some productions like Saint Seiya, and the Rocko and Zim movies managed to bring most of the original Spanish voices back, but in regards to Shaman King I think it'll depend in which dubbing stuido the show will land and who the voice director will be. I don't know much about the English dub, so I don't know if it's possible for the original cast to return as well.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I know some folks are dissapointed that Netflix accquired the distribution rights and that means that we'll have to wait several months for the anime but a part of me is relieved to know that at least this means that the series will have a dub into Spanish as all Netflix's shows have. However that doesn't automatically means that the original voice actors are confirmed to return for the dub, I don't know if Netflix has the final saying in regards to the dubbing of the shows/movies they accquire, but some productions like Saint Seiya, and the Rocko and Zim movies managed to bring most of the original Spanish voices back, but in regards to Shaman King I think it'll depend in which dubbing stuido the show will land and who the voice director will be. I don't know much about the English dub, so I don't know if it's possible for the original cast to return as well.

Yeah, same here. An advantage Netflix has is that LatAm Spanish dubs are done right alongside with the others instead of picked by chance compared to the other studios.

As for the English dub...it's a matter of whether they manage to use NYAV Post, which is based in both New York and Los Angeles, and the original dub was done in New York. The thing is, some actors retired from dubbing and moved to live-action while some remain in some capacity, so this becomes a matter in getting the actors who are willing to reprise their roles, which the count gets higher if NYAV Post or a collab with a NY based studio happen. If not, then at least use two of the actors who now live in Los Angeles like Tara Sands and Veronica Taylor with studios like Spliced Bread, Studiopolis, BangZoom or VSI Los Angeles.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Currently everybody's dub recording remotely anyways, so it doesn't matter where
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Currently everybody's dub recording remotely anyways, so it doesn't matter where

It does matter though if Netflix commissions a dubbing studio that only hires union actors. And so far LA-based studios have been pretty consistent about having only (or nearly almost nearly) LA actors, even in this time of remote recording. Whereas Funimation in Texas has been casting people all over the country (with a majority in Texas of course though).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

It does matter though if Netflix commissions a dubbing studio that only hires union actors. And so far LA-based studios have been pretty consistent about having only (or nearly almost nearly) LA actors, even in this time of remote recording. Whereas Funimation in Texas has been casting people all over the country (with a majority in Texas of course though).
As I recall dubbing for Pokemon Journeys switched to an LA based studio but they're still using both NY and LA VAs in the Pokemon Journeys dub. I think it will be more up to how available the original voice cast is and if the individual VAs have the technology/timing to return to dub remotely. Of course there also has to be taken into account the will of the Japanese licensors if they decide they don't want the reboot to have any association with the old 4Kids dub like Studio Khara and Eva.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

As I recall dubbing for Pokemon Journeys switched to an LA based studio but they're still using both NY and LA VAs in the Pokemon Journeys dub. I think it will be more up to how available the original voice cast is and if the individual VAs have the technology/timing to return to dub remotely. Of course there also has to be taken into account the will of the Japanese licensors if they decide they don't want the reboot to have any association with the old 4Kids dub like Studio Khara and Eva.

And that's even depending if people like Sebastian Arcelus, Andrew Rannells and Eric Stuart are willing to return given that they've long abandoned full-time dubbing in favor of live-action or music. At most, only most would return, if not, then we should treat the new cast with open arms insteadd of scorn just because they're not the old ones.

Circumstances like that if why I can't take the claims that all of the old cast returning is must seriously. That dub wasn't even that well-known in contrast to Inuyasha.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Circumstances like that if why I can't take the claims that all of the old cast returning is must seriously. That dub wasn't even that well-known in contrast to Inuyasha.
It would be nice if they could bring back as much of the original cast as possible but I think people under-estimate how complicated it can be to get everyone back together 20 years later than it just being the new dubbing studio being big meanies to the original cast or something. We got pretty lucky with the Japanese version getting as much of the original cast back as they did as it usually seems like Japan cares even less about maintaining voice actor continuity for reboots than the US does. And it seems like it only happened with Shaman King because the manga author demanded it. I still maintain the Netflix Evangelion dub was actually pretty good though I have a lot of nostalgia for the ADV version.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It would be nice if they could bring back as much of the original cast as possible but I think people under-estimate how complicated it can be to get everyone back together 20 years later than it just being the new dubbing studio being big meanies to the original cast or something. We got pretty lucky with the Japanese version getting as much of the original cast back as they did as it usually seems like Japan cares even less about maintaining voice actor continuity for reboots than the US does. And it seems like it only happened with Shaman King because the manga author demanded it. I still maintain the Netflix Evangelion dub was actually pretty good though I have a lot of nostalgia for the ADV version.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Because people like Eric Stuart, Sebastian Arcelus and Andrew Rannells have moved on to other careers.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I worry the lack of simulcast will be to Shaman King's detriment. But maybe if we're lucky this will convince Netflix to adapt a simulcast model?

I doubt it will. People will watch it by other means and talk about it like they do Seven Deadly Sins and other popular shows if they want to. I also don't see Netflix changing to simulcast either. They've been pretty successful as is with their current model.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, Netflix has at least a couple of Korean dramas being simulcast week-by-week (i.e. Sisyphus and Vincenzo).

I'm new to K-Dramas, so I don't know if this is a recent experiment or something Netflix has commonly done, but at least there's some recent precedence.

I'm not holding my breath, but given Shaman King's larger episode count and built-in fanbase, I think there's at least a chance.

That said, Netflix is still my last choice. Their app's presentation is obnoxious and overly controlling with skipping recaps and things, and they still don't do proper dub closed captions separate from translation subtitles, let alone dubbing consistency and physical releases.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Netflix already stated before when they were asked about them simulcasting some international game shows and reality shows that they were only doing simulcasting in specific instances and they had no intentions to expand it further. As long as Netflix still makes it big with hit shows like Beastars, BNA, and The Great Pretender who's popularity for those shows didn't seem like it was hurt too much by the binge watch model, they'll continue to see it as successful enough for them to continue and that they don't need to change. Big mainstream shows like Shaman King will be fine under the binge watch model. It's the more niche shows that are more likely to be hurt by it but as long as the big shows still remain popular for them they won't see any reason to change. I think it's going to be like Pokemon Journeys where we get like 12 episodes ever four months.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I´m wrong, but "Violet Evergarden" was/I the only anime-series that Netflix simulcasted/simuldubbed it. Or was there an other anime-series?

So there is a little chance, that "Shaman King"-Reboot could be also taken the model.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
Correct me if I´m wrong, but "Violet Evergarden" was/I the only anime-series that Netflix simulcasted/simuldubbed it. Or was there an other anime-series?

So there is a little chance, that "Shaman King"-Reboot could be also taken the model.

As far as I know Violet Evergarden was the only anime that premiered a new episode each week. I wish Shaman King could be simulcasted/dubbed as well, but I don't think they're interested in that model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4