• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magatsu Wahrheit -Zuerst-

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I followed the series for most of the run time and was hanging around the "barely worth it" line the whole way until it didn't. Definitely agree that Innumeal is the best part of the story, I liked that the show didn't turn him into some super soldier after a few episodes and kept his fish out of water status. But I just couldn't care less about Leo, we're supposed to wonder the entire time if he's going to be a good or bad guy but that never work. His commanding officer is also really annoying and just end up with a "Oh, he's just insane" resolution.

The world building was really poor, the starting incident is supposed to be that the government restrict heavy weaponry for civilian and civilian rebel because they need those to deal with monster. But monster are never established as a big problem and even then large scale weaponry doesn't seem like it would be useful. So the writer pretty much just hope the audience will side with the rebellion because in this type of story empires are always bad and rebellions are always good. But I think it's a pretty good idea for civilian not to have access to cannon, machine gun and artillery so it was hard to side with them.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This was a series that I very much wanted to like, mostly because of the positives Caitlin mentioned. I liked the characters (especially Immanuel) and the moral ambiguities of the situation. However, the tone never felt completely settled to me (it felt like it wanted to be more light-hearted than the content would allow) and it had some weird notions on how to use episode breaks. And yeah, the animation definitely deteriorated as the season's end approached.

Isn't there supposed to be a second half coming for this at some point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This was a series that I very much wanted to like, mostly because of the positives Caitlin mentioned. I liked the characters (especially Immanuel) and the moral ambiguities of the situation. However, the tone never felt completely settled to me (it felt like it wanted to be more light-hearted than the content would allow) and it had some weird notions on how to use episode breaks. And yeah, the animation definitely deteriorated as the season's end approached.

Isn't there supposed to be a second half coming for this at some point?

No. You're probably thinking of Moriarty the Patriot.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:57 am Reply with quote
I liked it, whatever it was. MWZ as far as I called it. I'd put it about average... so I'd say not good but I've seen worse. It had some good characters, some good suspense moments plus it had Irma and it's impossible to mention MWZ's merits without mentioning Girl Revolutionary Irma. They should have made her the female Headkeeper lead over My Hime's Mai Tokiha clone, I always have to look her name up...

And seeing how ANN cast lists Irma as "Ilma" I have no idea what's who anymore. Most of the names are recognizable as German but some of the mishmashed ones could be Italian taken from Germany, translated into Japanese and then retranslated into English so...

I'll just cal her Mai I guess. Anyway, while neither Mai or Irma's characters were developed as.... Google, if you would, m'aide...
Emanuel is the Scandinavian, German, Romanian and Croatian spelling of Emmanuel or Immanuel...Innumael? Did the writers include a dog pun into his name? Doesn't it make it harder to say though?...
that guy, they weren't as botched as Leokadio. Leocardio?

I give up. I watched it, I didn't hate it and I even liked the open style ending.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
This show was mostly average, but I really really liked Innumael, which made it enjoyable to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1