• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: '86' Sci-Fi Anime Reveals April 10 Debut, Promo Video, 18 More Cast Members, New Visual, Theme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:48 am Reply with quote
Let's hope they adapt this light novel well. It's a good and depressing series.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:mizuki

That's quite a mouthful. How do we pronounce this? Confused
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
This is my second-most-anticipated series of the year (after Spider), and that preview looks and sounds better than I could have hoped for.

This will not be a series for everyone, as it is very much a story about the iniquities of humanity. Extreme racism is a driving theme (including allusions to Nazi Germany and their Aryan superiority), as is the irony of the human race being destroyed by their own attempts to make warfare bloodless. But it's remained a strong and compelling story through the six volumes of the source novels that I've read so far. (The series will probably adapt the first three.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
The visuals and voice acting seem extremely on-point, as does the Sawano theme. I am so excited for this adaption!

spoiler[They do kind of spoil the "main" 86 in the Key Visual.]
Key wrote:
This is my second-most-anticipated series of the year (after Spider), and that preview looks and sounds better than I could have hoped for.

This will not be a series for everyone, as it is very much a story about the iniquities of humanity. Extreme racism is a driving theme (including allusions to Nazi Germany and their Aryan superiority), as is the irony of the human race being destroyed by their own attempts to make warfare bloodless. But it's remained a strong and compelling story through the six volumes of the source novels that I've read so far. (The series will probably adapt the first three.)

Seeing the Republic on-display visually really puts the Aryan nature of their society to the forefront.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This could be really, really good... if they take the time to stitch the novels together, and have the budget to animate it well.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Seeing the Republic on-display visually really puts the Aryan nature of their society to the forefront.

Does it? I'm not familiar with the source, but I have heard the hype for this series which the PV does a great job selling. The characters all look "white" to me. Putting that in quotes because they look like they would be part of that large portion of anime characters that would get you multiple responses on what race they appeared to be.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Does it? I'm not familiar with the source, but I have heard the hype for this series which the PV does a great job selling. The characters all look "white" to me. Putting that in quotes because they look like they would be part of that large portion of anime characters that would get you multiple responses on what race they appeared to be.

Watch the preview again and watch the hair color, not the skin color. Very conspicuously, the silver-haired and not-silver-haired people don't commingle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The covers from the light novel were the main reason I wanted to know more about this series. But before I could read it, the anime adaptation was announced. I'm probably going to wait and see how well the first episodes are received by the novel readers.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Watch the preview again and watch the hair color, not the skin color. Very conspicuously, the silver-haired and not-silver-haired people don't commingle.

I get that the silver hair, silver eyed people are the ruling caste. What I'm confused about is how it is because they're Aryan. I see a pretty white looking, blond hair, green eyes guy in the discriminated against group. If you asked me who the most Aryan looking person was in the entire PV, I'd have to go with him.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SilverTalon01"]
Key wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I get that the silver hair, silver eyed people are the ruling caste. What I'm confused about is how it is because they're Aryan. I see a pretty white looking, blond hair, green eyes guy in the discriminated against group. If you asked me who the most Aryan looking person was in the entire PV, I'd have to go with him.

I think it'll become more clear within the actual story, but the Republic (and in the PV) look very monolithic in terms of appearance to some extent.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
I've never read the light novels, but it seems interesting enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for Sawano in this, but oh snap! Hitorie is performing the OP song. You know, Hitorie that did the Divine Gate OP song. This is going to be good. Trailer was god as well. Will wait for the BD.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Again, don't get hung up on skin or features. It's all about hair and eye colors in this setting. Only pureblood Alba can have the silver hair and eyes, and they're the dominant racial group in the Republic. All the minority races - IOW, everyone who isn't silver-haired - are made to be scapegoats when the war goes bad against the Empire mecha and propagandized into being regarded as subhuman. The minorities - collectively known at 86s because of the ward (read: ghetto) they're forced to live in - aren't given any option other than to be front-line soldiers and aren't reported as casualties when they die because they're just "pigs." They don't even have recourse to flee to other countries because the physical isolation of the war has left everyone unsure (at first) if other countries even exist anymore.

So yeah, this one goes to some dark places, and plays the racism card more thoroughly than probably any other anime/LN property I've seen to date. It even goes as far as suggesting that the racism which temporarily salvages the Republic also dooms it to an inevitable fate by boxing the country in, leaving them no "outs." And that's without getting into the horrors which come into play when you factor in the completely mechanized Empire Legions and their dark secrets.

If the anime does it right, this could be a pretty potent series on fronts other than just its mecha action, one that could catch attention well beyond just genre fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1