• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yasuke Anime Reveals 6-Episode Length, April 29 Debut Worldwide on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Guess I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Cannon Busters. It wasn't the best show ever but it was a nice nostalgia trip back to anime of the late 90s/early 00s.

LouieKablouie wrote:
One is Fantasy/Sci-fi revenge story, and this one is more grounded in historical accuracy.

Netflix wrote:
In a war-torn feudal Japan filled with mechs and magic, the greatest ronin never known, Yasuke, struggles to maintain a peaceful existence after a past life of violence.

Yeah that sure sounds like it's grounded in historical accuracy.

You're not alone, I also enjoyed Cannon Busters Wink
As for Yasuke, I'm really looking forward to it. It looks pretty damn great but only 6 episodes is kinda a major bummer... hopefully it's only the first season
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
This sounds like a pretty interesting idea for a show!

I’m hoping this will give Japanese people a better understanding of black people in their own history.

In Japanese, people of the South Pacific were refereed to as Black. Specifying Africa in this case would be more accurate. Sometimes in English we'd say Brown, but in Japanese that'd be 'cha-iro', or tea colored. I also doubt pointing out 'there once was one guy' who existed is going to help people understand a whole group. Tasuke led an exceptional life in an exceptional time and that's why it is remembered.

Anyways on to the show, its by MAPPA so it'll look nice. And this guy worked on shows that looked nice. Korra wound up being fairly shallow for all the sparkle it had.

I'm pretty hyped Koike is designing the characters. I'll give this one a watch when it comes out. It feels like one of those modern 80's OVAs that'd show up on Sci-Fi or be on the bottom shelf of Suncoast.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I’m hoping this will give Japanese people a better understanding of black people in their own history.

Virtually nothing is known about the real like Yasuke outside that he existed at one point in history so there's not a whole lot to actually say about the guy. Not that that sounds like it's going to be historically accurate to begin with.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Enough is known — especially by those in the Nagoya region. A black man rose to the highest warrior and social class in Japan during a time when the western world largely subjugated and denigrated black people. He fought by Oda Nobunaga to his death. That in itself is fascinating.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
This has the potential to be something fascinating... if it were done by almost anyone else but the creator of Cannon Busters.

I believe the late Chadwick Boseman wanted to do a Yasuke movie.

Yeah, LeSean Thomas still sucks, and is still a thief who grifted people on a Kickstarter for his crappy Cannon Busters show, and the people deserve to know who they're supporting.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Sega should make more Valkyria Chronicles, or games like it set in different worlds.

They’ve actually made 4 Games one of which has never been released outside of Japan, a trading card game, and a spin-off that people dismissed for being nothing like the original game.

But you probably already knew that.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I think some folks miss the point . People have less of an issue with cannon busters as a show and more with the fact that the guy who made it essentially committed massive fraud and was actually rewarded for it due basically a technicality, and in the end the show isn't even anything special .

Considering people have had their careers canceled for less , I can see the digust.

Also yeah it's a shame Chadwick would have been awesome in the film . And for anyone interested Yasuke actually appears in Nioh.

But like others said , he was a figure and existed but his influence was limited , nobody even knows what happened to him after the fall of nobunagas son. And other foreign samurai have gone on to arguably have greater influence or at least relevance .
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Zeino wrote:
This has the potential to be something fascinating... if it were done by almost anyone else but the creator of Cannon Busters.

Yeah, LeSean Thomas still sucks, and is still a thief who grifted people on a Kickstarter for his crappy Cannon Busters show, and the people deserve to know who they're supporting.

Oh right, that guy. What a crook
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Oh right, that guy. What a crook

This is the narrative I don’t really get. I’ve supported a bunch of kickstarters. Some failed and I got zilch. Some succeeded and I enjoyed what got made, and then was surprised like 3-5 years down the line when rewards showed up. I think too many people forgot that Kickstarter isn’t a store, especially when it’s for things beyond “pledge X amount for a steam key immediately.” I’m not saying that people not getting rewards doesn’t suck ass and I’m sure some people wouldn’t have donated to it if they knew how long they’d be waiting for rewards, but painting that as thievery still feels off because of the goal they were supposedly supporting. The Kickstarter was to help make a pilot, not to buy a t-shirt. That pilot was able to be successfully pitched and turned into a whole show! So no, I really don’t get the mentality of “How dare he make a whole show” when it means the people that pitched in for a single episode ended up getting a whole show out of it. Wasn’t that what they supposedly wanted in the first place? Or would they have preferred a single pilot episode on a dvd for a show that never ended up existing?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The Kickstarter platform is essentially a loose contract between the creator and the backers. That's the point of the incentives. That you give financial support in exchange for these items, not to pre-order items, but to see your project be done and be rewarded. He took the money and ran.

The bottom line is - He lied, he took the money to make his (crappy) show, and he deserves to be called out as a liar and a thief. Promises not kept, and the man is not to be trusted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2